Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

View Poll Results: ?
St. Anger and Death Magnetic 3 17.65%
The System Has Failed and United Abominations 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

What's the consensus?

Judging by only the albums themselves, who had a better output on the past two albums?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
MY LEG!!

St. Anger - Garbage.
Death Magnetic - Boring, repetative, nothing new.

The System Has Failed - I personally love this album.
United Abominations - An abomination in itself.

So, goin' with Megadeth.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:53 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

death magnetic is great but seeing how st anger is in there i had to vote with megadeth
Old 04-06-2009, 04:57 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

st anger was worse than united abominations.

system has failed did have a few ok songs on it, id put it on par with death magnetic.

but i just feel like megadeth's style is more metal than metallica.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Regretting my username

Megadeth will always be better than Metallica in my book. And no matter what batshit thing Dave Mustaine can say politically/religously, I will always have more respect for him than anyone in Metallica.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

TSHF > DM > UA > SA

Ergo, Megadeth.

edit: and Opeth is somewhere between United Abominations and St. Anger of course.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 PM
In Search of Truth

As of this point, let it be known that this has thus far been the only thing we've all agreed on, as it is 100% - 0% as of right now.

St. Anger is absolutely awful, and Death Magnetic is one of the most overrated albums of this decade, IMO. I'm not a big Megadeth fan overall but I actually enjoy a lot of The System Has Failed, and even though United Abominations sucks, I don't find it personally offensive like St. Anger.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Regretting my username

I think what makes Megadeth better, at least superficially, is that the media, the mainstream metal community, and every "Modern Rock' radio station on earth doesnt HYPE up every one of their releases. With Metallica, every album or DVD or whatever is the 'best Metallica to date.' And when it comes out, the dipshits in Hit Parader and other throw-away music revew mediums give it '6 stars out of 5' and praise it as an offering from the hands of the rock gods. It, of course, sucks balls, or is sub-par at best. It is boringly uninspired and sells by reputation alone.

You get a big name producer in there, and all the 'behind the scenes' extras, and it doesnt even seem to be about 'the music.'

Whereas, at least this is how I feel (obviously), Dave is left to record as he pleases. You may not like what he puts out, but you know that there is not hyped up expectation or third-party influence on his art.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I think what makes Megadeth better, at least superficially, is that the media, the mainstream metal community, and every "Modern Rock' radio station on earth doesnt HYPE up every one of their releases. With Metallica, every album or DVD or whatever is the 'best Metallica to date.' And when it comes out, the dipshits in Hit Parader and other throw-away music revew mediums give it '6 stars out of 5' and praise it as an offering from the hands of the rock gods. It, of course, sucks balls, or is sub-par at best. It is boringly uninspired and sells by reputation alone.

You get a big name producer in there, and all the 'behind the scenes' extras, and it doesnt even seem to be about 'the music.'

Whereas, at least this is how I feel (obviously), Dave is left to record as he pleases. You may not like what he puts out, but you know that there is not hyped up expectation or third-party influence on his art.
This is basically true as far as I can tell. As far as I can remember, when St. Anger came out, every critic and major media source was like: "OMG this is awesome!", and now, upon the release of Death Magnetic, these SAME sources are now saying "St. Anger was kinda bad, OMG this new album is sooo much better". And I'm sure in 5-6 years whenever they get around to making a new album again, the same exact thing will happen. As you said, I am fully convinced everything Metallica does basically sells on reputation alone, and St. Anger was basically perfect proof. And as far as I can tell, it's not necessarily how popular Metallica are, it's just how big the NAME Metallica is. Other bands about as popular don't suffer from the same massive case of this.
I basically just like Dave Mustaine more than anything about Metallica based on the fact that Dave seems to be very true to himself, and isn't trying to please anyone, certainly not the mainstream rock media, unlike seemingly everything Metallica has done in a very long time.
Yeah, and the whole Some Kind of Monster movie was supposedly supposed to somehow "justify" St. Anger or something, but seeing it really just made me lose any thread of respect I may have had left for them. When a band has that much drama and bullshit in addition to the music, it's not a band anymore. The band seemed to genuinely hate working together for a huge part of that movie. I realize from experience that there is a certain amount of crap you have to deal with, but jesus christ. Band therapy?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Banned Asshole

imma go out on a limb and vote metallica. but my vote is not too credible as ive never really taken time to listen to megadeth intensely. i really enjoyed the new metallica album, but st. anger was shit!