Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Thank god.
Haha. See, this comes down to pure opinion. You admit that I have accurately described the song. I like it for those reasons. You dislike it for those same reasons. Agree to disagree.

UNTIL I FIND HIM I'M NEVER GONNA STOP SEARCHING, GOING TO FIND MY MAN, GONNA DRIVE AROUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUND.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

They should really just play Wrathchild at every show cuz it's so short and they obviously wouldn't need to rehearse it much. And it's a fucking great song
Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
They should really just play Wrathchild at every show cuz it's so short and they obviously wouldn't need to rehearse it much. And it's a fucking great song
I don't think length has anything to do with it, which is sad. I'm pretty positive that Maiden are one of those bands that plays an arbitrary set of songs, regardless of length. If every song Maiden played was 5 minutes or less, they would still only play 16 or 17 songs, it's just the way they are, aka predictable and lazy.
Maiden are downright annoying when it comes to most of their set lists. They have a 14 album discography, packed with great songs that almost any true fan would enjoy hearing live. However, seriously about 70% of their discography is simply "off limits". There is practically no chance of the songs ever getting played live, again or for the first time. It's just shit. Take a god damn chance once in a while.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Lead Singer of Atlas

Ofcourse I would have loved some of those 1st Leg songs, but after the show I talked to some people (ex. The Seattle Boys) and they told me it was ten times better, both in Crowd Reaction and Band's Preformance.

When you are in the moment and in the crowd and a few feet from Steve Shooting you, you forget what they aren't playing, but rather what they are and are awaiting whats next. You get Caught Somewhere In Time.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

Fuck last years setlist.

Can I Play With Madness is not a great song.
Heaven Can Wait sucks.
The Clairvoyant and Revelations are missed, however.

But I'd way rather have Wrathchild, Phantom Of The Opera, and The Evil That Men Do.
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 04-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

I can't help but feel that Maiden33 is slowly becoming the boards new EvilCheeseWedge.

I mean, I like Wrathchild. But saying its overplayed compared to the rest of the Killers album is like saying The Trooper is overplayed compared to the rest of the Piece Of Mind album. Dude Iron Man is overplayed as shit, doesn't mean it isn't a killer song. Just as Wrathchild and The Trooper are.

That being said, Sanctuary needs to go away and never, ever, ever come back. Little known fact: before the Powerslave tour, the final encore of every Maiden show was Prowler.

Last edited by JRA; 04-03-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 AM
In Search of Truth

First I want to say that I saw the band twice on this tour. Once about 4 GA rows back, the other on the rail. Both shows were absolutely amazing, but it's against my nature to just be overly agreeable and think that just because I had a great time, there can't possibly be anything wrong.

Bottom line:

Old set list: 9 songs from the period the tour is supposed to represent, including one song that had only been played on the tour for the album, 20 years ago (Moonchild).
New set list: 6 songs from the period of the tour supposed to represent, 4 of which are from the same album, 2 of which have been played on countless tours since the time they were released, as recent as the last studio album tour. (The Evil That Men Do, 2 Minutes to Midnight).

The point of these themed hits tours are to highlight some great songs that the band doesn't get a chance to play on a regular basis, focusing on certain areas of their career. By the time they got around to this leg, they opened with Aces High and played Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Big fucking deal.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Honestly, comparing the two bands, Maiden could take a lesson or two from Metallica in regards to setlists, with both new and old stuff. Metallica, rather than dumping the entire album on fans (at fitting move to Lars's ego if there ever was one) decided to pick 6 songs they would like playing the most. Then wait around to see what new and old songs fans wanted to hear. Sure enough, a month or two down the road they got All Nightmare Long, My Apocalypse, Fight Fire With Fire, Trapped Under Ice and a shit ton of others.

If that were Maiden, they'd have to do a big tour announcement for each song (remember that "A Matter Of Life and Beast" tour and all they did was drop a few AMOLAD songs and bring out Children Of The Damned and Run To The Hills? Fucking bullshit!)

How awesome would it have been if one night of the AMOLAD tour looked like this:

Different World
These Colors Don't Run
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
Killers
The Trooper
The Number Of The Beast
For The Greater Good Of God
The Evil That Men Do
The Longest Day
Wasted Years
The Reincarnation of Ben Breeg
The Clairvoyant
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
==========
Aces High
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Sanctuary

...and another night looked like this?

Caught Somewhere In Time
These Colours Don't Run
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
The Pilgrim
The Trooper
The Number Of The Beast
Wrathchild
Out Of The Shadows
Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter
Run To The Hills
Lord Of Light
The Reincarnation Of Ben Breeg
Alexander The Great
2 Minutes To Midnight
Iron Maiden
=============
Be Quick or Be Dead
Running Free
Hallowed Be Thy Name

I'll tell you exactly what would happen. Everybody would be happy. The people who wanted to hear most of the new album would be happy, the people who wanted to hear the classics would be happy, and the people who wanted to hear rare stuff would be happy.

(and best of all, neither of the setlists look like something Lauren Harris puked up after a night of underage binge drinking!)

Last edited by JRA; 04-03-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

I couldn't make Florida. Nonetheless, I would have been thrilled with the set list. Nitpicking two Maiden set lists like this is no different than bitching about the imperfections between two super models.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Dharma Wants You

Fuck all this bitching, the show was absolutely incredible.

Tags
iron maiden