Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Old 08-16-2009, 10:53 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Yeah, this is probably the most heavy thing I've heard since Rwake's Voices of Omens a couple years back. If you've heard either, you know what kind of heavy I mean. My favorite tracks are "Gin", "Arsonry", and "A Starved Horror", but every damn note on the album is perfect. This will probably claw its way to album of the year for me, and I recommend it to anyone needing a headfuck.

Addendum: Those lyrics! They're fucking insane, and I mean that literally. It's already a terrifying, dark, grim, drug-induced album, but most of the lyrics are about fucking: not love, or even sex which is based in love, but in hateful crazy weird fucking. Tripped out, and I haven't even started to unearth all the levels of meaning. I hope when he finishes his tour in Iraq he does a tour of the U.S.
I totally get what you mean with the Rwake comparison, and it's because the music is coming from a similar headspace; alone and fucked up.

I think the main motivation for any art is sexual frustration, and that's really to me what is at the heart of this album and the reason why it is so poignant.

If I had to pick a favorite song it would be "Two-Thumbed Fist." But like you said, every note is perfect. Or at least works 100% in the time it's used.

Last edited by ADD; 08-16-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:16 AM
We're dying on the inside

And I actually realized, he probably wasn't on drugs during the sessions for this album, because he was between tours in Iraq and there's no way he wasn't being drug tested.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:22 PM

Also, and I've only brainstormed a little bit thus far, but the Hemingway connections are awesome. The title track of course has the "Hemingway save me" refrain, but "A Starved Horror" has lyrics that could have easily been taken from The Sun Also Rises, and the sexual frustation Addi alluded to that is the basis for much of the album is pure Sun Also Rises. Jake, that book's main character, was sexually impaired in a WWI accident and he fills the void left by his inability to pursue women with drink. Uh, hello, that's Gin in a nutshell. The layers of brilliance continue to astound me.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM
N00B

Quote:
And I actually realized, he probably wasn't on drugs during the sessions for this album, because he was between tours in Iraq and there's no way he wasn't being drug tested.
people don't usually get drug tested between tours unless you give them reason to test you
Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict View Post
people don't usually get drug tested between tours unless you give them reason to test you
Ah, hmm. I thought they wouldn't let him go back to the front if he tested positive, but I'm not in the military so I totally made that up.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
N00B

and i'll think i'll be checking this out based on this thread
Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
N00B

Quote:
Ah, hmm. I thought they wouldn't let him go back to the front if he tested positive, but I'm not in the military so I totally made that up.
my brother has been in for four years, the only thing he has seen anyone get tested for is steroids
Old 08-17-2009, 03:36 PM
N00B

Quote:
Also, and I've only brainstormed a little bit thus far, but the Hemingway connections are awesome. The title track of course has the "Hemingway save me" refrain, but "A Starved Horror" has lyrics that could have easily been taken from The Sun Also Rises, and the sexual frustation Addi alluded to that is the basis for much of the album is pure Sun Also Rises. Jake, that book's main character, was sexually impaired in a WWI accident and he fills the void left by his inability to pursue women with drink. Uh, hello, that's Gin in a nutshell. The layers of brilliance continue to astound me.
Nice. Haven't read much Hemingway but I might start soon.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:40 PM
N00B

Quote:
I'm sure copious amounts of alcohol were involved in the lyric writing process, they all read like violent drunken ramblings to some degree. Wouldn't surprise me if he was hammered recording the vocals too.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I got this off iTunes because of all the hype you guys are creating. I like it so far, but I haven't had much time to really sink my teeth into it, so to speak. Violent, drunken sexual frustration sounds right up my alley, though