The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Thank you, it's ultimately supposed to be a look at an abstract collective. Therefore, I don't think I'm that egomaniacal to try and examine it.
Yes, but there are many parts of that list that you clearly just assembled due to personal bias. There are things on that list that are actually wrong. Even if the bands assembled in all the tiers are appropriate (a good number of which are not), you can't even begin to claim that the levels in which you ordered them have anything to do with anything else than your own personal opinion. Also, using terms like "Gay ass hair metal" and "Fruity fairy power metal" aren't helping you gain any respect points.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Regretting my username

If not personal bias, from the opinions of an internets toughguy.

I dont think this flow chart or tier list or whatever is serving any really innovative function. I mean, the chart from Metal: A Headbangers Journey does an excellent job of breaking metal down. This looks like something funny to post on a forum to get some laughs from people who hate certain kinds of metal (flower metal) and love other kinds (anything made in the 80s by 'popular' metal bands.) I dont think this warrants anything more than a slight chuckle, and certainly not any sense of achievement, innovation, or objectivity.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:14 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Maybe you're just too cool. I hate their music but I've seen them on two separate package tours and they played live good enough to make up for it.
I dunno man. Worst guitar tone ever, pig squeals, breakdown after breakdown and every song sounding the same... I couldn't take it. I stood off to the side wishing I didn't have ears for about an hour. The only band that may have been worse was Bullet For My Valentine, now that I think of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancubus View Post
long post that I don't want making my post longer with
Well, I understand not liking Ultraboris and all, I mean I've agreed with him probably only very rarely. However, I do say that his opinions often line up with, or even influence many members of "the metal police," so I think using him as a sort of basis for this sort of thing is not so terrible a concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I dunno what you guys are talking about, but Boris rules. Anyone else pick up Smile?
One of my favorite bands now. Smile and Cloud Chamber were both in my top 5 albums of last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Yes, but there are many parts of that list that you clearly just assembled due to personal bias. There are things on that list that are actually wrong. Even if the bands assembled in all the tiers are appropriate (a good number of which are not), you can't even begin to claim that the levels in which you ordered them have anything to do with anything else than your own personal opinion. Also, using terms like "Gay ass hair metal" and "Fruity fairy power metal" aren't helping you gain any respect points.
Well, I can't really say anything to agree or disagree with the first parts of what you said, but in terms of the "fruity fairy power metal" terms and the like: as much as I disagree with them (lots of bands I love fall into that category, not so much hair metal but whatever), I have definitely heard metalheads use those terms. It's not so inaccurate to say that many people have that perception.

megapoooooosstttttt
Old 04-12-2009, 12:30 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Well, I can't really say anything to agree or disagree with the first parts of what you said, but in terms of the "fruity fairy power metal" terms and the like: as much as I disagree with them (lots of bands I love fall into that category, not so much hair metal but whatever), I have definitely heard metalheads use those terms. It's not so inaccurate to say that many people have that perception.
Well I'm just saying that if this was meant to even somewhat be taken seriously and as more of statement-of-fact than just a massive list of opinions, any form of adjectives showing favoritism was a horrible idea. It's not that it's making fun of music I love, because he also picks on a lot of music I hate. I just think it was a really stupid idea to use terms like "fruity", "gay", and things like that when you are trying to assemble a serious statement that you are trying to argue has any ties to fact.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:02 PM
N00B

Oh, and where the FUCK is Morbid Angel? I get that this is the hypothetical UltraBoris tier list and he hated that band, but most metalheads LOVE MA.

Morbid Angel is the second most influential death metal bands after Death and Everything from Alters up until Formulas is a classic. (Gateways had some cool moments and atmosphere and Heretic had a good guitar tone but neither were as good as the first 6 with Entangled in Chaos being a kickass live album that IMO rivals the ones put out by Priest and Pantera.) And Trey Azagthoth is a great guitarist who puts just as much technique into his soloing as Eddie Van Halen and Dimebag (RIP). You can't strike these guys from the tier list becasue of UltraBoris. Labeling The Haunted as metalcore pisses me of to no end (since there is NOTHING wrong with liking that band) but removing MA from the record is simply inexcusable and if you don't include MA in the top tier of extreme acts you desarve to be thrown into a................. MAZE OF TORMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dun dun dun dun dun dun waka wow wow wow waka waka wow wow wow wow

Last edited by Mancubus; 04-12-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

"Metal-core," because its a term thrown around way too much anyway, is used in this list as an insult more than anything else.

I also added Morbid Angel to the Middle Tier.

I should also add that I am no longer going to call this a "statement-of-fact" even though I had already preempted that with a sort-of (fucking retards).

Last edited by JRA; 04-12-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
I should also add that I am no longer going to call this a "statement-of-fact" even though I had already preempted that with a sort-of (fucking retards).
Could you be any more ambiguous, please? You're obviously trying to push this as fact...your 'sort-of' isnt worth a lick.

And i think someone mentioned it earlier, but doesnt it seem very 'unmetal' to say that something is truly 'metal' based solely on the opinions of some lame internet nerds? Metal should be about individuality and free expression, and not '7 out of 10 of us hate it, so it must be terrible. Fact'
Old 04-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
You're obviously trying to push this as fact...
Yes and No. But more no than yes.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Yes and No. But more no than yes.
I mean, re-reading your intro paragraph, it would make sense if you said 'here are some bands that Ultraboris likes, and doesnt like'...but I feel you're presenting it more of 'this is how metal works.' You're acting like a microphone for M-A.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Not everything Ultraboris hates is low tier:

Example: Opeth and old In Flames.