Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 04-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

So I've done a little re-arranging to the list (in preparation for posting it on the other sites), and I'd like some last minute feedback, bands that I've missed, in the wrong tier, etc. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
So I've done a little re-arranging to the list (in preparation for posting it on the other sites), and I'd like some last minute feedback, bands that I've missed, in the wrong tier, etc. Thanks.
My last-minute feedback would be that you shouldn't post it to any other sites. It's just bad.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
My last-minute feedback would be that you shouldn't post it to any other sites. It's just bad.
haha
Old 04-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
Yes. Seriously.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:42 PM
N00B

Why the fuck are The Haunted and Lamb of God listed as metalcore?

LoG was only metalcore on BTP and NAG and became groove metal with breakdowns on ATPB. There is very little that's -core about them anymore.

And The Hunted are Thrash. Yes, Dolving is a hardcore vocalist but other thrash bands have had hardcore vox in the past. The Haunted are only as -core as Slayer, Municipal Waste and SoD. Also releasing a thrash album in 1998 is a gutsy move that no band would have expected to get famous by doing. In fact, they only get signed to Earache since Anders Bjorler still had contractual obligations from when At the Gates broke up. NOBODY ELSE wanted to play thrash in '98.

Seriously, what's so bad about either band. You can make the argument that LoG is incredibly trendy right now but The Haunted's supporting acts right now are shit. When you're touring with The Agonist who are the absolute bottom of the barrel crap and your original acts dropped off the tour to play with Mastodon, you aren't trendy AT ALL. Yeah, Dolving does make pointless rants about noting on Blabbermouth, but that says nothing about the music. Moreover, The Haunted actually reply to fan mail that they get on Myspace instead of having their label run it and that shows that they care about their fans way more than most bands today.

Oh, and LoG is trendy since they were -core when they were signed to Sony and therefore have major label backing. Soundwise, they don't have the epic sung choruses that most trendy bands have these days. LoG is it's own trend since they are NO LONGER metalcore and certainly aren't part of the folk metal/gothic metal/deathcore/or neo thrash trends going around right now.

Calling both bands -core jsut for playing at Ozzest means that you should also call SYL and Meshuggah -core as well. Oh, and some metalcore and deathcore is actually enjoyable. The Dillinger Escape Plan, Winds of Plague, Divine Heresy, Converge, The Red Chord, Protest the Hero, Between the Buried and Me, Unearth, Psyopis, and Job for a Cowboy are actually likable. (I'm including JFaC since they're EXTREMELY good live and no longer -core). Those bands are nowhere nearly as bad as Killswitch Engage, Suicide Silence, Waking the Cadaver, Whitechapel, The Devil Wears Prada, The Acacia Strain, The Agonist, Shadows Fall, Trivium, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, or Atreyu (or anything else in the genre for that matter since I've heard so much bad -core that I could go on forever.) Point being, not all metalcore sucks.

Not all power metal sucks. Some of it is certainly better than other power metal. For instance, Savatage, Firewind and Kamelot have a lot more credibility to me than Dragonforce, Fairyland or Rhapsody of Fire do.

Cradle of Filth should also have it's own tier since they truly suck that much. It isn't even because their new stuff is overrated as fuck, but even the old stuff that people say was so much better simply wasn't.

Also, the tiers should be ranked by genre since Death, Morbid Angel and Emperor are just as legendary to me as Sabbath and Zeppelin who birthed the genre. If people can't handle Mayhem or Atheist but can take Judas Priest and AC/DC, that doesn't mean that they are the better bands.

Divide the tiers into: early metal, death metal (Scar Symmetry gets own tier at bottom), black metal (again, CoF get their own tier at the bottom), thrash metal, metalcore (waking the cadaver goes in their own bottom tier since they can't even be called music), grind, industrial metal (don't put any industrial nu metal in here like Static X or Manson, just the real stuff like Ministry, Anaal Nathrakh and The Berzerker. nu metal bands should never be mentioned by name again), glam metal (please put poison in their own bottom tier) etc...
Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Cool, more debate!

In regards to The Haunted: http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=325#147

Ultraboris is/was a high ranking officer of the True Metal Police, and 8 times out of 10, what he says is law to them. So if he thinks the Haunted is not the true resurgance of thrash, then they are not.

Lamb Of God are low tier because of the fact that they are a 4th rate Pantera ripoff (hence Pantera ruining it for everybody), and their singer is one of the worst things to happen to metal.

For power metal, yes I recognize that Kamelot and Savatage have higher credibility than other power metal bands, which is why they are ranked higher than others (Kamelot may be in that tier, but they are the #1 band in that tier, therefore, they are the best of that group).

And while it is true IRL that if mainstream audiences can't handle extreme bands, it doesn't make them worse than the likes of Priest and Maiden...it does in this particular case. This is a ranking list composed by the supposed "elite of metal" with a little bit of help from the mainstream. Like it or not, but music does need sales to survive. No sales = no record deal. No record deal = death of art form. And while extreme metal has survived all these years God bless it, it would be doing a little bit better if the masses weren't so afraid of ugliness in music.

In regards to your genre argument, I don't really want to make this into a genre list. For two reasons 1) while it might be something the True Metal Police would do, I have no interest in ranking one sub-genre of metal higher than another. 2) I also have no interest in making another damned sub-genre list.

Last edited by JRA; 04-11-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:09 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancubus View Post
I've seen many many horrible bands live. Job For A Cowboy was the worst by far.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

JFAC are so bad, I just but them in the "Gay ass Ozzcore" tier!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Regretting my username

Boris can suck a dick. The M-A crowd are a bunch of douches. Love the site, but get a life.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:30 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Boris can suck a dick. The M-A crowd are a bunch of douches. Love the site, but get a life.
Thought you meant the band for a second, was about to e-rape you.