Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
Yes. I am hoping that JRA is channeling the alleged voice of the TMP there, rather than his own.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

As one of those old-school 80s metalheads, I think the list shows Ozzy (solo) ranked too low. At least his first Randy Rhoads era work and possibly the Jake E. Lee era too -- in those days Ozzy was still a contender for top of the metal game, along with Priest, Maiden, and Metallica. He's tarnished his reputation among the TMP with his wife's antics, his reality show, etc., and his work with Zakk Wylde represents a steep drop in quality from his earlier output. But nevertheless, if Tier I is to represent the metal divinity based on historical significance, then Ozzy belongs.

I wonder what it says about the metal community that three of the five bands you have listed in Tier VIII as "Gay-ass Ozzfest metalcore bands" ( ) are among the most interesting/innovative/unclassifiable bands to emerge in metal over the last 10 years. If metal is about orthodoxy, there's no greater sin than to be unorthodox.

Oh, and Motley Crue so totally belongs in hair metal. Are you telling me that metalheads by and large respect these douches?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Don't make me break those teeth, choadhead.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:17 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
If metal is about orthodoxy, there's no greater sin than to be unorthodox.
Members of the metal subculture generally always want more and more of the same.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM
We're dying on the inside

I think this whole thing basically proves that the TMP are really lame if they exist.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
As one of those old-school 80s metalheads, I think the list shows Ozzy (solo) ranked too low. At least his first Randy Rhoads era work and possibly the Jake E. Lee era too -- in those days Ozzy was still a contender for top of the metal game, along with Priest, Maiden, and Metallica. He's tarnished his reputation among the TMP with his wife's antics, his reality show, etc., and his work with Zakk Wylde represents a steep drop in quality from his earlier output. But nevertheless, if Tier I is to represent the metal divinity based on historical significance, then Ozzy belongs.

Oh, and Motley Crue so totally belongs in hair metal. Are you telling me that metalheads by and large respect these douches?
a) That's actually a very interesting point, considering that Metallica's sins with the TMP are worse than Ozzy's, yet their still in top tier. I guess the point is if someone were to flat out say "I hate any and all Metallica" as opposed to "bla bla bla Ozzy," I think you'd at least be looked at cross-eyed for the former.

b) More-so than you think. I've actually gotten yelled at for someone for saying they suck a few years back, but I still wouldn't consider them that essential (plus Nikki Sixx's ego doesn't deserve it ).

Last edited by JRA; 03-23-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I think this whole thing basically proves that the TMP are really lame if they exist.
Don't say that too loud.....
Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:

Oh, and Motley Crue so totally belongs in hair metal.
I would agree with both of these statements. Ozzy pretty much ruled the 80's and was probably more popular during those years than Sabbath, Priest or Maiden. He was definitely more popular than Metallica in the 80's. They really didn't take over the scene until the Black Album hit in 1991.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

I would also say that Motorhead should probably be in tier III. I don't think they deserve the same rank as the other bands in tier I.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
My favorite line by him ever is "British Steel is remembered for the wrong reasons. 'Breaking The Law' and 'Living After Midnight' are not the be-all end-all of Judas Priest."
While I think most of the stuff I've read by him is retarted, this is true. British Steel should be remembered for 'The Rage'.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull