Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Lich King -- Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991

Old 02-12-2014, 11:55 AM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

Overrated by who? I never understand this term overrated. If you're referring to the media understand that's sports writers are total idiots, outdoing everyone in stupidity except maybe for weathermen.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM
N00B

If we're discounting media and sports writers, then no one in sports is overrated or underrated. I also try not to count fan opinions as much since there's too much bias. Yanks fans are obviously gonna love him, Red Sox and Mets fans are obviously going to hate him (with a few exceptions here and there), other AL East fans i'm sure will most likely dislike him.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:09 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

The concept of overrated and underrated is a very strange one, it certainly holds zero meaning with me. It's such a vague statement that can be torn a thousand different ways. Is A-Rod overrated? Underrated? Completely even? Who determines this and why is what they say the final word? Dumb term.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM
N00B

verb (used with object), o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing.
to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/overrated

The term itself, to me, isn't vague. It's pretty clear cut. Unfortunately it depends on the person using it as they will obviously value certain criteria over others. In terms of Jeter's base stats: Career batting average, total hits, I can understand why someone would say he isn't overrated. But given the lack of his power numbers, his defense which isn't that great and was most of the time just barely better than average, the fact that he never won an MVP, the fact that his overall numbers may have been a product of being on a stacked team for so many years (something which isn't just unique to him, and can be said about a lot of my favourite Red Sox players, for sure), and his apparent perceived clutch hitting ability, there's where the overrated comes in.

As I said earlier, unfortunately it can be influenced by where you stand as a fan. Since i'm a Red Sox fan it may be easy to throw my opinion away and chalk it up to bias, but I have no doubt in my mind that if I was even just neutral towards the Yankees, I'd still feel he was an overrated player.

As far as Arod, unfortunately his steroid use (both the stuff he admitted to when he was with Texas and what has been alleged with the Biogenesis stuff) has clouded it, but if we take his numbers just at face value, then my opinion is no he isn't overrated. He would be properly rated. Don't let that throw you off when it comes to my opinion of him though. I still hate him and he's a scumbag, and I like Jeter FAARRR more than I like Arod. But in terms of sheer baseball numbers, steroids aside, Arod > Jeter.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 AM
N00B

Well that went absolutely fucking no where.

So how about Ian Kinsler basically stating he hates the Rangers now and hopes they win 0 games? That's...interesting.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
Well that went absolutely fucking no where.

So how about Ian Kinsler basically stating he hates the Rangers now and hopes they win 0 games? That's...interesting.
Like when Hamilton went to the Angels!

Also I hope both the Tigers and Rangers go 0-162.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 AM
N00B

I dislike the Tigers only because my cousin and uncle are both huge Tigers fans. Although they were conveniently quiet after last year's ALCS to my Red Sox.

And did Hamilton make any inflamatorry comments about the Rangers themselves the way Kinsler did? The only thing I remember was when he said that the State of Texas isn't a baseball town.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
I dislike the Tigers only because my cousin and uncle are both huge Tigers fans. Although they were conveniently quiet after last year's ALCS to my Red Sox.

And did Hamilton make any inflamatorry comments about the Rangers themselves the way Kinsler did? The only thing I remember was when he said that the State of Texas isn't a baseball town.
Ya that was pretty much it and like that he didnt want to play for that team. Then Hamilton went and had an awful season. Hate the dude but sadly he plays for my favorite team so he needs to play well
Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Ya that was pretty much it and like that he didnt want to play for that team. Then Hamilton went and had an awful season. Hate the dude but sadly he plays for my favorite team so he needs to play well
Seeing that your an Angels fan, I want to thank your team for taking the Pujols contract out of the Cardinals hands. I feel they are a lot better off!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 AM
N00B

If Pujols and Hamilton play to even 3/4 of what was expected of them, with Mike Trout in the lineup, that team will be scary.