Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Old 05-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

CGI

I've heard a lot of complaints about these being used as special effects in movies like "they make them look like video games" or "they aren't special effects if their used in every scene," but I doubt Hollywood will do otherwise because a) it might be taking a step backwards, b) it's the cheapest way of doing things.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 AM
N00B

It can be good or bad. I absolutely hate the tech-freak CGI-for-it's-own-sake attitude of movies like the Star Wars prequels, but CGI can be used well and within reason--Gollum from the LOTR movies was a good example of that, I think.

On a related note, I was happy the new Indy movie didn't overdo the CGI. You could totally tell the parts that George Lucas wanted to put in, like those stupid prairie dogs and the ridiculous monkey scene (when I saw that, all I could think was "oh great, here come the fucking Ewoks...").
Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 AM
MY LEG!!

It depends. Like Brady said, it can be good or bad. Take the Lord of the Rings movies, for example. Great use of CGI in there, those are fantastic movies. Without it, alot of the movie could not have been done. But that was because the CGI looked great. When CGI is used and it looks like crap, then it sucks.

** Spoiler**

For example, I saw Diary of the Dead the other night. I loved the whole thing, except for the end scene. I'm not going to go into detail, but there was a CGI zombie head as the last thing you see, it was the only CGI used in the movie, and it looked like crap. It was so pointless, they could have and should have just used a zombie head like they had been the entire movie.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

the problem with GCI is that you can usually tell when it's fake because the lighting will just look wrong. also CGI doesnt age well, it might look fine now but come back in 5 years and it will look terrible. of course, you can fool some people, i spoke to some idiot once who thought vin diesel actually snowboarded infront of an avalanche in that movie triple x.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Catch The Rainbow

I agree with what others have said. It can be good or bad. If it's done badly then of course it will be bad! When it is done well and not overused it's a good thing for us movie watchers!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

One complaint I heard from someone is that they hated the Iron Man movie because for one, it looked too much like a video game. I suppose this was that person's example of CGI gone wrong.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
We're dying on the inside

Let's take Peter Jackson, for example:

LOTR= good
King Kong= bad
Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

king kong was amazing! did you see that guy get eaten by giant snails? EATEN-BY-GIANT-SNAILS!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

IMO, CGI realism peaked with Jurassic Park (the first one), and that was 15 years ago.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Beware; I am a threadkiller.

when you can tell it is CGI, it can take away from the movie; however, I have low expectations when it comes to movies and can let a lot slide.

E.g., in Spider-man I, the radioactive spider rearing up to bite Peter Parker was a ruining moment for my wife. When Peter is jumping from roof top to roof top was obvious CGI. i let it slide, but that i noticed and had to make that adjustment was an effort i would have preferred not to have made.

on the other hand, the Thing in Fantastic Four might have been a candidate for more CGI vs. the suit. according to Marvel Universe (from the 80's), they explained why The Thing looks the way he does now (or at the time) from when he was first introduced; that given the altered DNA, his body evolved over time. if the right mook does the research, this could be addressed by adding CGI details to the suit worn by the actor (whose name is escaping me, and i want to refer to him as Vic Mackey/The Commish), so that he looks more like living rock and less like a guy in a suit.