Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
N00B

Critically reviled albums that you love

For every Cold Lake, Load, and Risk of the world, there are some albums that are despised or frowned upon by a bands general fanbase but that some diehards happen to love. Go for it.

Black Sabbath - Born Again- this is the one that made me think of this topic while I was just listening to it. I think this is a great record not necessarily because of the songs or the performances, but because it just sounds so genuinely twisted unlike any other Sabbath album, and no record I've ever heard really captures quite the same strung-out/coked-up vibe as this one. The production actually makes the album sound like its gonna come apart at the seams and just snap at any moment, like a staggering paranoid burnout walking along the railroad tracks contemplating jumping in front of the train with a wild eyed half-grin on his face. At least thats what comes into my mind when listening to this album. And Ian Gillan's vocals are fantastically ridiculous, not to mention Iommi's radical attempt at cock rock riffage.

Iron Maiden - The X Factor- even though obviously this album is out of place to mention here, to 99% of the rest of the metal world that exists outside the niche of diehard Maiden fanboys this album is teh sux. It happens to be one of their best in my opinion however, and obviously Steve Harris is down with that so how can you disagree? This is for sure the most honest record they made since the debut, and the songs are really great. Sure the production isn't fantastic, but it suits the grey melancholy vibe.

Thin Lizzy - Renegade- no one really gives a shit about 80's Thin Lizzy, but while Chinatown and Thunder and Lightning definitely have their weak points, I think this is a horribly underrated and overlooked album in the Lizzy catalogue. The best job they did of incorporating 80's rock (ie keyboards) into their bluesy twin-axe attack, and it also features some of their best songwriting in my opinion. Sure that little jazz number is completely out of place, but the rest of the album smokes.

Overkill - I Hear Black- this was the first Overkill album I heard so that definitely makes a difference, but it sure didn't deter me from checking them out further, even though I came to find this record is quite the anomaly in their catalogue. Sure it was the early 90's and they kinda wanted to be Pantera, but they injected the right amount of Sabbathy doom into their muscle metal and the result is this beastly record. Some seriously heavy riffs to go along with Blitz's always excellent vocals makes this one of my favorite Overkill albums, and that's saying something.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM
We're dying on the inside

The X-Factor is very good, and I find it interesting that most anyone who was not on the IMBB or here that I've encountered in metal absolutely hates it. It does it's fucking job.

No one seems to like Queensryche's Tribe very much but it just fucking oozes with vibe. It's so goddamn chill, and that's definitely what they were going for. It's way better than the album they put out a few years later that saw them trying to sound metal again and failing. I really hope the new one is kind of chill or it's going to suck.

Megadeth's So Far, So Good, So What! is their least revered "golden era" record, yet the best album of their career.

I'm sure I might think of others later.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I dunno about whole albums, but I really, really like "Fuel" and "I Disappear" from Metallica.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post

No one seems to like Queensryche's Tribe very much but it just fucking oozes with vibe. It's so goddamn chill, and that's definitely what they were going for. It's way better than the album they put out a few years later that saw them trying to sound metal again and failing. I really hope the new one is kind of chill or it's going to suck.
Definitely agree with this.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:17 AM
MY LEG!!

Point of Entry
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
In Search of Truth

-Motley Crue's self-titled album with John Carabi on vocals. I don't like Motley Crue in general, but I think the self-titled disk kicks ass.
-I think the first Jon Oliva's Pain album is by far the best, even though the 2nd and 3rd have gotten far better critical and fan reception.
-Dream Theater's "When Dream and Day Unite" is in the top half of their discography.
-Nocturnal Rites' "The 8th Sin" was bashed by about 65% of their fan-base. I really loved it, and think it was one of the most enjoyable albums of 2007.
-I think a lot of Helloween's "Pink Bubbles Go Ape" is quite good, and "The Dark Ride" is easily the best Andi Deris-era album.
-I really like Anthrax with John Bush, which doesn't seem to be a typical point of view. Strangely, for reasons I can't explain, I actually really enjoy "We've Come For You All".
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

The X Factor is the obvious choice, it's such a fucking excellent album that gets zero credit.

I think modern King Crimson is also usually ignored and dismissed as shitty and/or irrelevant, but honestly The Power To Believe and THRAK are two of their best albums.

edit: When Dream and Day Unite is the only decent Dream Theater album.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
N00B

In Flames - Reroute to Remain. It has a couple really bad tracks, but for the most part, that album is pure class.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
In Flames - Reroute to Remain. It has a couple really bad tracks, but for the most part, that album is pure class.
I would agree to that.

I actually like alot of stuff on Reroute, Soundtrack, and Come Clarity, but the majority of people, on here or otherwise, hate those albums.

I liked The War Within by Shadows Fall, which no one else here likes. I also enjoyed The System Has Failed, A Twist in the Myth, and Glorious Burden, all of which have been hated on.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
In Flames - Reroute to Remain. It has a couple really bad tracks,

Cloud Connected and Trigger I'm assuming?