Midnight -- Toronto, Ontario -- July 12th, 2014
Satanic Warmaster -- Mexico City, Mexico -- July 5th, 2014
Dying Fetus -- Merriam, KS -- July 12th, 2014
Phobia -- Tempe, AZ -- July 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

The Iron Maiden album discussion thread

So yea, I finally manned up to do this, but I have a specific topic up for discussion, the supposed mixed reception to Somewhere In Time by the metal underground.

Let's get this right out of the way, metal fans are, for the most part fickle and assuming teenagers, who have very little interest in the music itself, and are more or less looking for the most "br00tal" thing around. In 1981-82 when Maiden first hit the underground American concious, they were more or less the heaviest most intense thing around (all due respect to Venom). The borderline demonic artwork only cemented the bond between the band and the extreme underground.

Now, of course its commonplace for artists to have a reputation of going on for decades, but in the 80's, only the Who and the Rolling Stones had managed to accomplish that. But I think, even nowadays whenever a new band pops up, fans only expect them to last for 5 years or so. After that 5 years, either that band's creativity runs dry, or the fans become just plain tired of the band and expect them to "go away" to make room for the next "big thing" in metal.

This, in my opinion, is exactly what happened with Maiden after the Powerslave craze. In 1986, when Somewhere In Time was about to drop, there were quite a few new things going on. The thrash movement was just about to reach its peak, with Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and a slew of other thrashers releasing albums, that many consider to be their respective final works. A new younger breed ready to tear a new orifice in the body of music. This music of course was the next logical step in terms of the brutality of metal music. The riffs were getting heavier, the guitar tones were getting thicker, the vocals were getting less melodic and more guttural (for lack of a better term) and the lyrics were getting more violent. Exactly what your typical metal fan would want. Plus, fans were probably getting tired of Maiden, for no reason other than the fact that they've been listening to them for 4-5 years straight, and wanted something a little heavier.

On top of that, Maiden, rather than re-tread Number Of The Beast once again, decided to add keyboards in the bands sound. All apologizies to Jon Lord, but according to your average metal fan, keyboards are about the most feminine thing you could add to your rock ensemble. Tarja Turunen crooning melodramatic songs about love's first kiss is exactly what most metal fans think of when they think of keyboards, and its also the exact opposite of what they want.

Now I can picture many people complaining about my assessment of metal fans and how their dominance over the metal scene Well the thing is, they did. My opinion is only one opinion, but since those with simpler minds seem to ban together in much larger groups than those with more intelligence, they pretty much decide what was in and out. And in 1986, Maiden was out, and thrash was in.

Thoughts?

Last edited by JRA; 03-03-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

That's pretty good man, I mean we're looking at this in hindsight, it'd be good to get an opinion of someone who was a big Maiden fan at the time and see what they think. But I think thats a good assessment.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
That's pretty good man, I mean we're looking at this in hindsight, it'd be good to get an opinion of someone who was a big Maiden fan at the time and see what they think. But I think thats a good assessment.
Yea, my opinion is purely a hindsight one based of of hearsay. For all I know I could be completely wrong. Maybe what really happened was SIT was hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread and some conspirators felt threatened. Thus worked in secret to re-write history.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Yea, my opinion is purely a hindsight one based of of hearsay. For all I know I could be completely wrong. Maybe what really happened was SIT was hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread and some conspirators felt threatened. Thus worked in secret to re-write history.
Also man you gotta take into account that hair/glam rock was getting into its heyday in the second half of the 80's, so that kinda took up the mainstream side of rock whereas like you said thrash was ruling the underground, so Maiden was kinda caught in the middle.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

wtf i love somewhere in time D:
07/25 - Masked Intruder
07/31 - Warped
Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Also man you gotta take into account that hair/glam rock was getting into its heyday in the second half of the 80's, so that kinda took up the mainstream side of rock whereas like you said thrash was ruling the underground, so Maiden was kinda caught in the middle.

I omitted that because most real metal fans didn't really take hair/glam metal seriously, but like you said, Maiden was caught in the middle, but fans probably thought their sound at that point was leaning more toward glam metal, thus the backlash.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
I was a big Maiden fan at the time! What happened is (c)rap, hip-hop, grunge, & alternative hit the scene and all the kiddies thought that was what was cool since it was on MTV. Not all Maiden fans tired of them BTW JRA!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
wtf i love somewhere in time D:
Me too. It's my favourite '80s Maiden record.

11/7 Snakecharmer
20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

For the record, I'm not saying that Somewhere In Time is a bad album (I do rate it above Piece Of Mind after all ), I'm merely interpreting why there was a mixed reaction from it from the metal community back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Maiden View Post
I was a big Maiden fan at the time! What happened is (c)rap, hip-hop, grunge, & alternative hit the scene and all the kiddies thought that was what was cool since it was on MTV. Not all Maiden fans tired of them BTW JRA!
I firmly believe that none of those four genres had anything to do with this situation. Besides, grunge & alternative didn't explode until 92-93, at which point Maiden were actually stagnating creatively.

I'm not talking about mass-pop culture, I'm talking about the metal fanbase in America & England (and too a lesser extent the entire world) and the Maiden fanbase within, and why Somewhere In Time isn't as acclaimed as the first 5. Sad is it maybe, there are metalheads who believe Maiden sucked after Powerslave, or Piece Of Mind, or even Killers for that matter (the latter are forgotten, jaded mongloids, but that's beside the point). My point is that Maiden was more or less criticized and forgotten about because in 1986 they were no longer the heaviest thing in town.

Last edited by JRA; 03-03-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Me too. It's my favourite '80s Maiden record.
It's my favorite Maiden record in general. In my opinion Somewhere In Time is the best and most consistent thing Maiden have ever put out. It took a long time for me to realize this. It really became apparent when I attempted to rank every song in Maiden's discography. I realized something. Every song from Somewhere In Time ranked in the top 45, which of a 120+ studio album track discography for a band as great as Maiden, is really fucking insane. No other album even came close to that. Every other album has it's 1 or 2 obvious duds, but every song on Somewhere In Time is a classic to me. I suppose it also comes from my love of Adrian Smith, who is at his all-time high on Somewhere In Time. Aside from penning 3 great tracks entirely by himself, his soloing is out of this world. If I was to list my top 20 H solos, a half-dozen would be from this album alone.
Also, speaking of guitar, in my opinion the guitar sound on Somewhere In Time is the best ever. The warm distortion is just godlike, and I have spent a long time trying to pin it down for myself. The combination of guitar synth bombast and godlike warm distortion is just immense. The leads are incredible, they just sound so full.
I just can't say enough about Somewhere In Time, but I guess it's not for everyone, as it is certainly one of Maidens more commercial-friendly releases, and Steve's famous repetitious choruses really began to take hold on this album.