Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014
DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland -- September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014

Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Karl Sanders - Saurian Exorcisms

I don't know if a lot of people know about Karl Sanders' solo work, so I just felt like writing about this to get it out and see what people think about this album (if people have already heard it). I picked up this record a couple of weeks ago, and I must say that I feel this is a really strong record. The heavy dosage of Egyptian influence is incredible, and the music is simply beautiful. This is the perfect instrumental record for fans of Egyptain music/ambient music. I didn't know what to expect from this record, being that Karl Sanders already showed great diversity in Nile. This only makes me respect him so much more as a guitarist, for his solo record is truly a solo record, unlike a bunch of other people who just have their name plasted on an album that has a full band on it, or a bunch of people contributing.

The versatile tracks on this record range from Egyptian themes to Arabic/Middle-Eastern chant songs. Immediate favorites of mine were "Rapture of the Empty Spaces", "Slavery Unto Nitokris", and "Shira Gula Pazu". I highly reccomend this record for those into deep, spiritually ambient music. This was the first Sanders' solo record I heard, and I will certainly be picking up Saurion Meditation when I can!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:55 PM
We're dying on the inside

I haven't decided how I feel about this yet. I think it might be boring but I was just enamored by the vastness of influences and the dedication to nailing the Egyptian sound down. I like Nile's version of that a lot better, too.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I haven't decided how I feel about this yet. I think it might be boring but I was just enamored by the vastness of influences and the dedication to nailing the Egyptian sound down. I like Nile's version of that a lot better, too.
I can admit some songs got a bit boring, but as you did, I fell in love with the dedication to the Egyptain sound. I do have to say that I enjoy Nile's a bit more, mainly because it's metal . But for a more straight forward Egyptian style, I feel this hit the nail on the head.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:13 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
I can admit some songs got a bit boring, but as you did, I fell in love with the dedication to the Egyptain sound. I do have to say that I enjoy Nile's a bit more, mainly because it's metal . But for a more straight forward Egyptian style, I feel this hit the nail on the head.
I think I can settle more for a couple songs like this thrown onto a Nile album rather than needing a full album of it. "The Infinity of Stone" did that for Ithyphallic, and it really helped.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I think I can settle more for a couple songs like this thrown onto a Nile album rather than needing a full album of it. "The Infinity of Stone" did that for Ithyphallic, and it really helped.
Indeed, but that's why he made the solo record, to provide a different view from the brutal death metal spectrum.

"The Infinity of Stone" is an epic track, and I really feel that he wanted to capture that feel entirely, instead of just one long track.

Karl Sanders/Nile=