Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

View Poll Results: Is playing all of Nostradamus live a good call?
yay 16 50.00%
nay 16 50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 01-31-2010, 03:13 AM
Wrathchild_84's Avatar
Wrathchild_84 Wrathchild_84 is offline
Complete tool
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A 78 chevy nova on I35E
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
even though AMOLAD was a much much better album than nostradamus
IMO both albums where total shit.
__________________
Crack sells... But who's smoking?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
I went to see My Chemical Romance perform the entire Black Parade album and loved it, seeing a band play an entire album, and base the show around it, is very, very entertaining in nearly all aspects of the performance, and its a novelty as most of the songs will never see the light of day in a setlist again. If Preist do this, I would consider travelling to see it, it would be an epic performance by a downright epic band.
Not always true at all. I saw Dio play the whole 'Holy Diver' album (the show for the 'Holy Diver Live' DVD) and it sucked.

I also saw W.A.S.P. play all of 'The Crimson Idol', and that sucked too. The album isn't that great (very, VERY repetitive), and they barely played anything else. Like, three other songs.

But then, I saw Testament play all of 'The Legacy' and 'The New Order' and it rocked.

Difference being, Dio plays over half of 'Holy Diver' on every tour anyway, so it wasn't even remotely interesting. Testament were able to bring out a bunch of songs they rarely play, and I think that's the key if it's an album that isn't a concept album and doesn't have a whole other dimension attached to it. It needs to be an album they don't already play all the songs from.

That's why AC/DC doing the whole of 'Back In Black' will suck. They should do all of 'Highway To Hell' or 'Let There Be Rock', if they want to do a popular album all the way through.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary

Last edited by ravenheart; 01-31-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-31-2010, 06:29 AM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
>W.A.S.P. play all of 'The Crimson Idol', and that sucked too. The album isn't that great (very, VERY repetitive)


>Testament play all of 'The Legacy' and 'The New Order' and it rocked.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Dextrimental's Avatar
Dextrimental Dextrimental is online now
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Not always true at all. I saw Dio play the whole 'Holy Diver' album (the show for the 'Holy Diver Live' DVD) and it sucked.

I also saw W.A.S.P. play all of 'The Crimson Idol', and that sucked too. The album isn't that great (very, VERY repetitive), and they barely played anything else. Like, three other songs.

But then, I saw Testament play all of 'The Legacy' and 'The New Order' and it rocked.

Difference being, Dio plays over half of 'Holy Diver' on every tour anyway, so it wasn't even remotely interesting. Testament were able to bring out a bunch of songs they rarely play, and I think that's the key if it's an album that isn't a concept album and doesn't have a whole other dimension attached to it. It needs to be an album they don't already play all the songs from.

That's why AC/DC doing the whole of 'Back In Black' will suck. They should do all of 'Highway To Hell' or 'Let There Be Rock', if they want to do a popular album all the way through.
Id agree so far as that in some cases the albums make up most of their setlist anyway.. But I believe that your dislike of the performances is hindered by the fact that you dont altogether like the albums being performed.. I personally think seeing any album performed in its entirety would be not only novelty, but a great show.. And Back in Black is an anniversary show, it will probably only happen once too!
__________________
Yesterday don't mean SHIT.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-31-2010, 04:03 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Id agree so far as that in some cases the albums make up most of their setlist anyway.. But I believe that your dislike of the performances is hindered by the fact that you dont altogether like the albums being performed.. I personally think seeing any album performed in its entirety would be not only novelty, but a great show.. And Back in Black is an anniversary show, it will probably only happen once too!
As stated, that's only true in the case of 'The Crimson Idol', which is far too dull an album to play all the way through live. Especially when you're only going to play three or four other songs and go off stage after only 70 minutes.

AC/DC absolutely should not be celebrating 30 years of 'Back In Black'. They should be celebrating the 30th anniversary of Bon Scott's death and play an entire set of Bon songs. To make a point of playing 'Back In Black' is a joke and an insult.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-31-2010, 04:19 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
AC/DC absolutely should not be celebrating 30 years of 'Back In Black'. They should be celebrating the 30th anniversary of Bon Scott's death and play an entire set of Bon songs. To make a point of playing 'Back In Black' is a joke and an insult.
Agreed.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Dextrimental's Avatar
Dextrimental Dextrimental is online now
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
AC/DC absolutely should not be celebrating 30 years of 'Back In Black'. They should be celebrating the 30th anniversary of Bon Scott's death and play an entire set of Bon songs. To make a point of playing 'Back In Black' is a joke and an insult.
I disagree whole-heartedly. Back in Black is the second biggest selling album of all time, and I, for one, would like AC/DC to play that album in full, as its the first album their current singer sang on. To play a set of songs that Bon played on, and just Bon songs would be ignoring the second biggest selling album of all time as well as EVERYTHING their current singer. AC/DC will no doubt honor Bon Scott, and play a good lot of songs he sang on.
__________________
Yesterday don't mean SHIT.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 22,352
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
>reactionimage.jpg to "Testament" and "rocked"

what
__________________
12/16 - Pallbearer
12/18 - Orange Goblin
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
I disagree whole-heartedly. Back in Black is the second biggest selling album of all time, and I, for one, would like AC/DC to play that album in full, as its the first album their current singer sang on. To play a set of songs that Bon played on, and just Bon songs would be ignoring the second biggest selling album of all time as well as EVERYTHING their current singer. AC/DC will no doubt honor Bon Scott, and play a good lot of songs he sang on.
The success of the album is irrelevant. This is a significant anniversary of the death of the guy without whom AC/DC would probably have never became a big band. Far, FAR more worthy of a special set than 'Back In Black'. They should have the balls, and frankly the respect, to resist cashing in on the popularity of that album even more than they do already and celebrate the reason they were ever able to get as far as making that album in the first place.

They're being incredibly disrespectful.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Not always true at all. I saw Dio play the whole 'Holy Diver' album (the show for the 'Holy Diver Live' DVD) and it sucked.

I also saw W.A.S.P. play all of 'The Crimson Idol', and that sucked too. The album isn't that great (very, VERY repetitive), and they barely played anything else. Like, three other songs.

Difference being, Dio plays over half of 'Holy Diver' on every tour anyway, so it wasn't even remotely interesting.
I saw The Crimson Idol show and I thought it was one of the best shows I've ever seen - then again, it's one of my favorite albums of all-time. This "repetitiveness" you criticize is mostly just the recurring musical themes which I think make that album what it is. Frankly it's not much more repetitive than any other WASP album, which isn't even doing it for any good reason. The typical WASP set is only 13 songs these days, so the fact that that tour's set was only 14 tracks shouldn't leave you all butthurt.

And I agree, Dio does play 3 or 4 tracks off Holy Diver on every tour, but still - you saw tracks like Caught in the Middle and Invisible live, which are great and never get played. Not to mention he played some other really cool stuff (Tarot Woman, One Nigh in the City) at that show. It wasn't exactly the most pedestrian set ever.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008