King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-22-2008, 05:11 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

All I'm saying is: Slayer has made some "nu-metal" albums too, and nobody complaints, because they're Slayer. I like 'em, but you gotta be honest:

Or is Undisputed Attitude an even better album than Reign In Blood?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
First of all, Kill Em All was a good album, but nothing special creative-wise.

Now lets look at Ride The Lightning. Fire, Ride, Bell, Fade, Creep all credit Cliff, and at some point or another you can find "they need to play ___", "I wish they played ___", or "YES THEY PLAYED ____" on this site containing all of those songs. Escape and Trapped Under Ice are the two you won't see in those phrases, and coincidentally the only two without Cliff in the credits. Ktulu is rarely played live, but it's hard not to say it's a great track. If not for Cliff, the intro riff in For Whom The Bell Tolls would either be filled by lone quarter notes on the bass drum or a lame guitar bit.

I don't agree that Justice is their best album, but either way it's not very far removed, if at all from their previous two albums. The format of the album itself and the song structures are essentially the same. To me it's "Master Of Puppets II", much like Wayne's World. The second one was good, but it's just not the same.

To sum it up, Cliff was what seperated Metallica from Megadeth and Testament. Then came the Black Album.
Black Album isn't their best, for me that's Ride The Lightning, but it's 100 times better than RISK...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
All I'm saying is: Slayer has made some "nu-metal" albums too, and nobody complaints, because they're Slayer. I like 'em, but you gotta be honest:
Actually, there are quite a few people (Maybe not on this board, but on other boards I'm on) who don't like anything they've put out since Seasons in the Abyss. So, there ARE plenty of people that complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
but people that say that death magnetic is shit are just assholes. if u don't like metallica, fine so be it, but don't fill a metallica thread with bullshit because that's just idiotic
So, it's bullshit for us to have a negative opinion about Death Magnetic? When did we make liking an album mandatory?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:53 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
First of all, Kill Em All was a good album, but nothing special creative-wise.

Now lets look at Ride The Lightning. Fire, Ride, Bell, Fade, Creep all credit Cliff, and at some point or another you can find "they need to play ___", "I wish they played ___", or "YES THEY PLAYED ____" on this site containing all of those songs. Escape and Trapped Under Ice are the two you won't see in those phrases, and coincidentally the only two without Cliff in the credits. Ktulu is rarely played live, but it's hard not to say it's a great track. If not for Cliff, the intro riff in For Whom The Bell Tolls would either be filled by lone quarter notes on the bass drum or a lame guitar bit.

I don't agree that Justice is their best album, but either way it's not very far removed, if at all from their previous two albums. The format of the album itself and the song structures are essentially the same. To me it's "Master Of Puppets II", much like Wayne's World. The second one was good, but it's just not the same.

To sum it up, Cliff was what seperated Metallica from Megadeth and Testament. Then came the Black Album.
I guess that's pretty legit.

Too bad Megadeth were better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
Actually, there are quite a few people (Maybe not on this board, but on other boards I'm on) who don't like anything they've put out since Seasons in the Abyss. So, there ARE plenty of people that complain.
Aaaaaaaaand, here I am!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 AM

@JuuKun, sorry.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:55 AM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
So, it's bullshit for us to have a negative opinion about Death Magnetic? When did we make liking an album mandatory?
ok ok sorry about that one, i was just pissed. i just think that death magnetic doesn't get the appreciation that it deserves.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:48 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by es156 View Post
Wait, are you calling Metallica a "hair band?"

No, not at all. Just that they came out of that era. Many 'Metal' bands didn't survive either.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Black Album isn't their best, for me that's Ride The Lightning, but it's 100 times better than RISK...
I never said that the Black Album was, I agree that Ride was their best, but I don't know what Risk has to do with all of this.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog View Post
You know, you gotta love the armchair rock critics who think they know it all. All praise TonyD. Hetfield could fart and it would be a decent song. What the fuck have you produced in the last 29 years? You obviously DON'T LIKE Metallica, as you sighted that you only like 3 out of their 9 albums. So the questions remains, what the fuck are you doing here? I don't like some of their albums either but I still own them. Of all the 'hair bands' that came out of the 80's, and Nirvana killed most of those bands and drove Metal back underground, thank god we still have Metallica.

Puppets and Justice are not comparable in the least. If any comparison, it would be that Justice is what Puppets would sound like without Cliff but that's a stretch. With Justice, they were at the height of their creativity. But there's no way it could be classified as Puppets II. That's just laughable. There's no Sanitarium, Thing that should not be, Disposable Heroes or Leper Messiah type songs on Justice. The songs on Justice were so much more complex.

Are you saying that the Black album sounded like what Megadeth was doing at the time? If anything many of the themes and song structures (mildly) were closer to Puppets.
First of all, don't try using "what have you done?" unless it's your music.
I'm not an armchair rock critic. I'm not a rock critic. I'm not a critic. I'm a metal fan that doesn't accept bad material from an artist getting payed like they are making good material.
I like 4 of their albums, you would know that if you could read.
If you think that Metallica is the only good band born from the 80's to be around this whole time, you don't have any idea what's going on.

Sanitarium, Disposable, Leper and The Thing That Should Not Be don't feature any writing by Cliff other than lyrics. If you think that Justice features more complex songs (like Ride and Creeping Death), it only strengthens evidence that the album was built on the style that was cultivated by Cliff.

I'm not saying that the Black Album was like what Megadeth was doing at the time.

Last edited by TonyD; 12-22-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:

Or is Undisputed Attitude an even better album than Reign In Blood?
oh no you didn't.

Slayer have never sold-out. Yes, they have made some radio friendly albums and yes, nothing can touch the glory days of pre-1990, but they've never had a ballad. They've never had (shitty) clean vocals. They've never had whole songs played with just acoustic guitars. They have been and will always be metal. That is why they are the greatest metal band of all time (ohshi- ).

Metallica doesn't even come CLOSE.
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2

Tags
machine head, metallica