Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991
Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Old 12-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Dharma Wants You

Spiral_Slave's Top 10 Albums Of 2008

I hardly ever really do stuff like this, because I suck at it, but I figured what the hell, I may as well do one. I also feel kind of obligated as a long-term resident here, so here we go.

01. Death Angel - Killing Season

I believe ADD put it best when he describes this as " exactly what modern thrash should sound like. " Not overly produced so it still has that raw edge, but also you can tell Death Angel are keeping up with the times. Every song on the album is just killer, and I even though it came out at the beginning of the year, I can still pop it in and listen all the way through. All of the members of Death Angel are in top form on this one with an honorable mention to the guitar playing of Rob Cavestany. Just a really great album in my opion.

Favorite tracks: Carnival Justice, Dethroned, Sonic Beatdown

02. Avantasia - The Scarecrow

I'll admit I was pretty apprehensive after Lost In Space was released, but this album was a wonderful surprise. Tobias undoubtedly made the switch from power metal to a more traditional melodic rock sound, but it works brilliantly. The music really moves along The Scarecrow storyline as well, balancing perfectly between short, punchier numbers, the more epic pieces, and (of course) a few ballads. And let's face it: with Tobias Sammet, Jorn Lande, Oliver Hartmann, Alice Cooper, Michael Kiske, and Amanda Somerville you can't reallly go wrong.

Favorite tracks: The Scarecrow, Devil In The Belfry, I Don't Believe In Your Love

03. Kalmah - For The Revolution

After their last album "The Black Waltz" which I liked, but didn't go nuts over; I wasn't really sure what to expect from For The Revolution. However, Kalmah bounced back with in my opinion one of their strongest efforts to date. FTR seemes to have leaned towards a slightly more melodic sound, but it's overtoned but the classic technical, thrash-like riffing, pounding drumming, and tasteful keyboards. The end result is a great melodic black metal album. Honorable mention drummer Janne Kusmin on this one, he really tears it up on this one.

Favorite tracks: Holy Symphony Of War, Wings Of Blackening, Towards The Sky

04. Firewind - The Premonition

Another great release by Greek melodic metallers Firewind. Whether it be the brilliant guitar playing of Gus G, or the catchy anthemic choruses, if you have any trace of a melodic/power metal fan in you, I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy this album. This is probably Firewind's heaviest album to date, but that's maintained mostly by a little more aggressive approach to the guitar riffing, it's not hugely noticable throughout the album IMO.

Favorite tracks: Mercenary Man, Head Up High, Remembered, My Loneliness

05. Eluveitie - Slania

This was my first exposure to swiss folk metallers Eluveitie, after hearing them being announced for PaganFest. Integrating the violin, hurdygurdy, piccolos, flutes, ulleian pipes, tin whistles and a variety of other ethnic instruments into a traditional Gothenburg melodic metal type style, they really have developed their own sound. The infectious melodies, hard-hitting riffs, and frontman Chrigel Glanzman's diverse growling vocals really create a unique, and really cool atmosphere. The track Slanias Song, slows it down and features some really nice female vocals.

Favorite tracks: Inis Mona, Bloodstained Ground, Grey Sublime Archon, Tarvos

06. Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thundergod

Possibly the most conisistant melodic death metal band around strikes again with another great album of crushing viking anthems. From the opening rif of the title track, to the last notes of Embrace Of The Endless Oceans, it'll have you headbanging along and filling your horn. Also the cover artwork for this album definitely has my "best cover of the year" award, just awesome.

Favorite tracks: Twilight Of The Thundergod, Guardians Of Asgaard, Free Will Sacrifice

07. Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus

Along with Avantasia, Edguy also made the jump over to a more " hard rock " sound this year, even moreso than on Rocket Ride. Although it's no return to the glory days of Hellfire Club or Mandrake, for what it is this album is still highly enjoyable. Being Edguy, there's no shortage of catchy, fun choruses and a fitting musical backdrop. Some really great songs on here, but some are also pretty forgettable. Nonetheless, a good album.

Favorite tracks: Speedhoven, Ministry Of Saints, The Pride Of Creation

08. Judas Priest - Nostradamus

First off, this is much different than anything Priest has ever done and I give them credit for that. Heavy on keyboard orchestration, eerie acoustic passages, and the story-telling aspect rather than blazing riffs and flying solos, this is not your typical Priest record. That being said, it has some really great moments on it, IE The Future Of Mankind. My biggest complaint about it is that listening from beginning to end can be a little tedious with all the little segues and intro tracks, and some of the songs are pretty boring.

Favorite tracks: The Future Of Mankind, Nostradamus, Visions

09. Pyramaze - Immortal

Ah, Matt Barlow's glorious return to metal. This is my first album by Pyramaze and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Basically your traditional power metal sound with some deent orchestration, and of course the soaring vocals of Barlow. While all of the songs on here are good, none of them really WOW'd me. There are some great moments, like "Legacy In A Rhyme" but mostly just a solid album IMO.

Favorite tracks: Year Of The Pheonix, Legacy In A Rhyme, Caramon's Poem

10. Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force - Perpetual Flame

The insanely retarded album cover aside, this is in my opinion Yngwie's best effort in years. Tim Owens' vocals fit in perfectly with the music which seems to have taken a more 'speed metal' approach on this one. Some really catchy songs on here like Damnation Game and Red Devil, but it kind of starts to sink towards the end of the album IMO. All of the songs with vocals though I think are really good, and this is definitely worth checking out for any Yngwie fan.

Favorite tracks: Damnation Game, Red Devil, Live To Fight (Another Day)

Honorable mentions:

Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge
Pain - Cynic Paradise
Norther - N
Old 12-13-2008, 02:14 PM
We're dying on the inside

Your 6 and 8 will be on my list as well.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Dharma Wants You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Your 6 and 8 will be on my list as well.
Nice.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:00 PM
We're dying on the inside

I think it's interesting that most of my top 10 has appeared on other peoples' lists that have been posted already, but hardly any (maybe just Amon Amarth, actually) have overlapped. Lot of diversity this year.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Fuck year, Death Angel.
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 12-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral_Slave View Post

08. Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Favorite tracks: The Future Of Mankind, Nostradamus, Visions

The last two are my favorite joints on that album, I need to listen to Future Of Mankind more I guess.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Dharma Wants You

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Fuck year, Death Angel.
Glad to see another fan on here.