Chance
Believe
Temptation Revelation
Gutter Ballet
Power of the Night
Hall of the Mountain King
Old 12-04-2008, 06:58 PM
D.B.B.

i've been listening to this band lately and damn are they sick.

hey Maiden33, u got any suggestions on what to pick up from this band.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
i've been listening to this band lately and damn are they sick.

hey Maiden33, u got any suggestions on what to pick up from this band.
Haha, I like the fact that I am the Savatage authority here.

Well it's more of a question of personal preference than anything else.

In my opinion there are four "essential" Savatage albums:
Streets, Edge of Thorns, Handful of Rain, and Gutter Ballet. Regardless of whether you're a fan of the earlier stuff or the later stuff, those albums are must-hear stuff.

What kind of songs have you been listening to?

If you're into the heavy Jon Oliva stuff, Hall of the Mountain King and Power of the Night are the two seminal albums of that stuff. If you're into the more experimental stuff, Streets and Gutter Ballet for sure. If you're into Zak's stuff, all 4 albums are worth checking out. It's a complex beast to tackle because they've released a lot of amazing material throughout 11 studio albums, there's a lot of stuff to get to.
Let me know what you've heard thus far and I'll tell you where I suggest you go.

To Bloodcurse: Were you actually at this show? I'm assuming.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM
D.B.B.

oh haha well they are your favorite band right.

i've heard Hall of the Mountain King and i really like this song they always play on metal mania. the video is on the streets at night.

and i was at my friends house and he had an album on his itunes and i was listening to that and it was pretty good. so yeah i don't really know haha
Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Metal DJ

I was not...a buddy of mine was...I just found out about it the day I posted this haha. If I had known about it, I would have been there for sure!! Savatage are one of my favorite bands of all time.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:55 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
oh haha well they are your favorite band right.

i've heard Hall of the Mountain King and i really like this song they always play on metal mania. the video is on the streets at night.

and i was at my friends house and he had an album on his itunes and i was listening to that and it was pretty good. so yeah i don't really know haha
Ah alright. Well if you really enjoy the song Hall of the Mountain King, picking up the album of the same name is probably a good call.
The video in question is for the song "Gutter Ballet", title track of their essential 1989 album. If you like that song, you'll at least love the more experimental theatrical stuff with Jon Oliva singing, so Gutter Ballet and Streets are a must.

Check out the video for the song "Edge of Thorns" (Youtube it). If you like that, come back to me for more advice.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:56 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodcurse View Post
I was not...a buddy of mine was...I just found out about it the day I posted this haha. If I had known about it, I would have been there for sure!! Savatage are one of my favorite bands of all time.
Ah alright, I was about to become VERY jealous of you. I was unfortunately just a few years to young to know about Savatage while they were still touring. For that I am eternally saddened.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Large Marge sent me.

Savatage is indeed on the most underated bands of all time. Although the albums that Maiden33 do kick major ass. If you want to go deeper into the vault and can stomach concept albums. Make sure to pick up Dead Winter Dead and The Wake of Magellan. You will not be sorry and even though I am also pissed off at the fact that I missed out on seeing Savatage years ago. I was lucky enough to meet Alex Skolnik who was in Savatage for one album and speaking of said album. Make sure to also pick up Handful of Rain. Plus I also have my Savatage shirt to be thankful for. tehehehe
Old 12-05-2008, 03:12 PM
N00B

Savatage albums

Haven't posted before but I read this site every day.

If you like Savatage with Jon Oliva then definitely check out Hall of the Mountain King and Gutter Ballet. To me the highpoints of the Zak era are Wake of Magellan and Edge of Thorns.

Streets is a great album but is an acquired taste in my opinion because it is a bit cheesy but give it a chance as I, too, believe it was a high point for the band.

I had the pleasure of being in my teens when they played opening for Testament with Pantera as the opener (Cowboys from Hell tour before anyone knew who they were).

Savatage was excellent and sadly I never got to see them again so I am glad I was there.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Ah alright. Well if you really enjoy the song Hall of the Mountain King, picking up the album of the same name is probably a good call.
The video in question is for the song "Gutter Ballet", title track of their essential 1989 album. If you like that song, you'll at least love the more experimental theatrical stuff with Jon Oliva singing, so Gutter Ballet and Streets are a must.

Check out the video for the song "Edge of Thorns" (Youtube it). If you like that, come back to me for more advice.
it was ok. not into the vocals for that song.

well yeah i'll look into those albums as soon as i get paid cause i'm dead broke right now...

Tags
savatage