Marduk-- Norrköping, Sweden--December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 10-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

What does Sleep have that Trivium doesn't?

One album I've been listening to a lot lately is Sleep's Holy Mountain. While I do like it alot, it is more or less a carbon copy of Black Sabbath's sound. Yet Sleep are treated by the underground as "legends of doom metal."

Trivium on the other hand...now I don't own a single Trivium record, I've heard a few songs here and there, and most of what I heard I liked, aside from the cliche metalcore vocals. Then Matt Heafy decides to sing like James Hetfield, and dare I say, he pulled it off flawlessly. Then when "The Crusade" comes out, that same underground goes "BAAAAAAW, they sound exactly like Metallica, they're ripping them off, BAAAAAW!"

Here's another thing both bands have in common. Sleep came around in the 90's when Black Sabbath's classic 70's sound was long gone, and there were diehard fans of that sound who wanted more. Same story with Trivium and Metallica. Yes there are some people who have been waiting since 1987 for a Metallica album with a "down to the t" Master Of Puppets sound, with the old vocal style, old guitar tones etc. But that hasn't happened. Yet Trivium apparently pulled that off without even trying (with much better drumming to boot might I add) and they get nothing but shit for it.

It's two bands doing the exact same thing. So why are Sleep worshipped as Gods whereas as Trivium are written off as posers? Because Sleep came out in the 90's? Because of the way Trivium dress? Because Trivium are better looking that 3/4 of most metalheads?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

While I'm not going to voice my own opinions of Sleep and Trivium, what I will say is I really don't get why everyone says The Crusade sounds like Metallica. I don't hear it in the slightest, vocals or otherwise. It's just incredibly ordinary, and really rather boring metal.

Also, if you really want a (very, very good) Sabbath-copy, listen to sHeavy.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary

Last edited by ravenheart; 10-21-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:35 PM
D.B.B.

i don't know about trivium, but there's a local band named metal x that puls the metallica sound off pretty good...
Old 10-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Half the new thrash bands around at the moment are carbon copies of the Kill 'em All sound.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 10-21-2008, 05:00 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I really don't get why everyone says The Crusade sounds like Metallica. I don't hear it in the slightest, vocals or otherwise. It's just incredibly ordinary, and really rather boring metal.
This! I don't really get it.

But for the sake of the discussion, I will say that people probably aren't willing to give Trivium a chance because they started off as metalcore. Also, bands being older definitely helps. They "stand the test of time" as it's said. I don't really care, since I'm not a fan of either band, hehe.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Well, I guess most elitist metalheads like the fact that Matt was singing as opposed to that tired old hardcore barking. It kinda sounds like old Hetifeld.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

It can be explained with the same reason that Pantera isn't remembered as "the band that sounds like Exhorder"- musical quality.
Other than the vocals, I couldn't hear much in common to Metallica either.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Half the new thrash bands around at the moment are carbon copies of the Kill 'em All sound.
Any names?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
well not really
Old 10-21-2008, 05:53 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Any names?
hey check out metal x. they are not carbon copies, but thy are pretty good. i'll say master of puppets stuff.