Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-01-2008, 06:06 AM
the wicked path

the tour would probably be worth it if into gayternity weren't supporting. iced earth rules but i'd need a decent support band to consider them with such a weak setlist
Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 AM
N00B

Cleveland show

Set list the same, accept no High Water Mark.

This was a tremendous show, but not without its faults. Barlow could barely be heard at times and Jon sang Stormrider while Matt took a break. No big deal for me, as I'm there to hear Jon's rhythms. Jon was tight and precise as usual, but the new guitar player is non existent. First off, he looks like a dumpy little troll, but I could barely hear his leads and I was standing right in front of him. He has absolutely no stage presence, either.

The most disappointing part of the show was my favorite tune Hold at All Costs. When it kicked in it was orgasmic, but just as the intro gallop was going full speed there was a major time screwup and Jon was all over the drummer's ass the rest of the song, yelling and screaming about something. He was pissed for sure, as you can tell this is a song Jon likes to get off on as he should. I think the drums may have been slow but I'm not sure. I do know that it really was one of the biggest screwups I've seen live by a band the stature of IE, and I know Jon the perfectionist will not tolerate it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new drummer soon and for that matter, another lead player. That dude just doesn't fit the part of Iced Earth, he looks like a serious puss and comes across like one.

Still, this is one of the heaviest shows I've seen and I liked the set list better than I thought I would. I Walk Alone is turning into an IE anthem and was heavy as hell, maybe the best tune of the night. Behold the Wicked Child was a great opening song because it featured Jon hammering the opening power chord riff that sounded really tight and exemplified metal.

I really could care less about the vocals, I'm a fan of Matt's and he is fine on albums and the Alive in Athens CD. Ripper is an acquaintance from my town of Akron and he is much better live but doesn't carry as much weight when being the embodiment of metal like Matt does.

IE is pretty much the baddest band out there now, this new album is better than Metallica's comeback attempt, Priest, Maiden, Metal Church or anybody else that's put out new stuff from the old schoolers.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Lead Singer of Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altmer7989 View Post
the tour would probably be worth it if into gayternity weren't supporting. iced earth rules but i'd need a decent support band to consider them with such a weak setlist
Into Gayternity? How in the world could you have any against them? They have fast heavy songs, and play them to prefection Live.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Beware; I am a threadkiller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthedice View Post
Set list the same, accept no High Water Mark.

This was a tremendous show, but not without its faults. Barlow could barely be heard at times and Jon sang Stormrider while Matt took a break. No big deal for me, as I'm there to hear Jon's rhythms. Jon was tight and precise as usual, but the new guitar player is non existent. First off, he looks like a dumpy little troll, but I could barely hear his leads and I was standing right in front of him. He has absolutely no stage presence, either.

The most disappointing part of the show was my favorite tune Hold at All Costs. When it kicked in it was orgasmic, but just as the intro gallop was going full speed there was a major time screwup and Jon was all over the drummer's ass the rest of the song, yelling and screaming about something. He was pissed for sure, as you can tell this is a song Jon likes to get off on as he should. I think the drums may have been slow but I'm not sure. I do know that it really was one of the biggest screwups I've seen live by a band the stature of IE, and I know Jon the perfectionist will not tolerate it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new drummer soon and for that matter, another lead player. That dude just doesn't fit the part of Iced Earth, he looks like a serious puss and comes across like one.

Still, this is one of the heaviest shows I've seen and I liked the set list better than I thought I would. I Walk Alone is turning into an IE anthem and was heavy as hell, maybe the best tune of the night. Behold the Wicked Child was a great opening song because it featured Jon hammering the opening power chord riff that sounded really tight and exemplified metal.

I really could care less about the vocals, I'm a fan of Matt's and he is fine on albums and the Alive in Athens CD. Ripper is an acquaintance from my town of Akron and he is much better live but doesn't carry as much weight when being the embodiment of metal like Matt does.

IE is pretty much the baddest band out there now, this new album is better than Metallica's comeback attempt, Priest, Maiden, Metal Church or anybody else that's put out new stuff from the old schoolers.
at this show, what was the order of the support bands? if you know, i.e.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
Into Gayternity? How in the world could you have any against them? They have fast heavy songs, and play them to prefection Live.
I HATE Into Eternity. I have had to see that band live SIX times now, all on different tours, all with horribly inappropriate bands. I've heard them live, I've heard them in the studio, and failed to be impressed by either. They have moments where I'm like: "I like this, this is good", but then they always just fuck it up by throwing in 5 unnecessary changes and breakdowns which totally fuck any feel the song may have had into oblivion. They embody the "complexity for the sake of complexity" vibe I hate about so much music carrying the "Progressive" tag these days. And frankly if their live performances are "perfection", I would be kind of concerned, considering the sloppiness is tangible even for someone as disinterested as myself.
Nothing against you, but I have a grudge against Into Eternity like you wouldn't believe.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 PM
In Search of Truth

I'm so happy I apparently attended the only show on this tour where Hold at All Costs was not TOTALLY fucked up!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 PM

i'm really glad that the crowd was really into Into Eternity.
i had a feeling that the Iced Earth fans would give them shit.

too bad i'm not catching this tour.
DevilDriver is playing the same day as IE/IE is.
and i've seen Into Eternity already this year with Symphony X
but i haven't seen DevilDriver this year yet.
and to be honest,
i was never a big Iced Earth fan.
i mean they have some great songs
but could never get really into them.
although i must admit i listen to "Wolf" a looot.
defiently my favorite song by them.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Lead Singer of Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinfulsot View Post
at this show, what was the order of the support bands? if you know, i.e.
It went Into Eternity then Iced Earth. Only Two Bands.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Lead Singer of Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I HATE Into Eternity. I have had to see that band live SIX times now, all on different tours, all with horribly inappropriate bands. I've heard them live, I've heard them in the studio, and failed to be impressed by either. They have moments where I'm like: "I like this, this is good", but then they always just fuck it up by throwing in 5 unnecessary changes and breakdowns which totally fuck any feel the song may have had into oblivion. They embody the "complexity for the sake of complexity" vibe I hate about so much music carrying the "Progressive" tag these days. And frankly if their live performances are "perfection", I would be kind of concerned, considering the sloppiness is tangible even for someone as disinterested as myself.
Nothing against you, but I have a grudge against Into Eternity like you wouldn't believe.

Ok no problem then. Just wanted to see what your deal was. "complexity for the sake of complexity", sorry but I instantly thought of Dream Theater haha. "Playing Music; Like It's A Sport!"
Old 10-04-2008, 12:35 PM
the wicked path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Birth View Post
their songwriting is a gigantic mess. there's all these good parts but they never develop into a song and then the singer is way too over the top for me. sorry, into eternity fans, but I do not dig

Tags
iced earth, into eternity