Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Old 09-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Dharma Wants You

Eh, I am really not impressed. I was hoping to go next year, but I won't be now.

Edit: And where the fuck are Astral Doors? They said since they couldn't do it this year, they for sure would be doing it next year...

Last edited by Spiral_Slave; 09-27-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

Astral Doors and Glenn could not come to an agreement, apparently.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT SHOW ANNOUNCED!

ProgPower USA's "Mid-Week Mayhem" will return to The Loft on September 9th to commence the week's traditional festivities.

Pagan Maximus will kick off the show with an acoustic jam. The set will feature members of both Pagan's Mind and Circus Maximus on stage together for the first and only time. Fans can expect unique versions of songs from each band's perspective catalog as well as favorite covers.

Mindcrime will then follow with a performance of "Operation: Mindcrime" in its entirety. The Queensrcyhe tribute band features Chris Salinas (Zero Hour) on vocals.

Fans can then take the spotlight as "Live Queensryche Karaoke" will continue with Mindcrime. Fans, band members, and "surprise guests" will then join the band on stage to perform songs all the way through "Promised Land" (Promoter Glenn Harveston has banned all Queensryche songs post-Promised Land era).

Tickets information will be released at www.progpowerusa.com in the coming weeks.

-

I think the Pagan Maximus idea is fucking great.
Now all they need to do is announce Tarot, Falconer and/or Morgana Lefay for the Showcase on Thursday, and this will be the best week ever.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:44 PM
In Search of Truth

I'm still on the fence. That shit sounds really cool and would be great to see, but itsn't really increasing my desire to go. The showcase will need at least one band I love to get me there. Here's looking at you, Nocturnal Rites.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Play it loud, don't play it low

they had me at Pagan's Mind and Fates Warning.

actually, I'm strongly considering going. What do the tickets usually go for? I'd just want to go to the saturday show.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft View Post
they had me at Pagan's Mind and Fates Warning.

actually, I'm strongly considering going. What do the tickets usually go for? I'd just want to go to the saturday show.
Tickets for Friday and Saturday don't sell separately (to my knowledge). I think for Friday/Saturday it's like $110. I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing something like that.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Play it loud, don't play it low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Tickets for Friday and Saturday don't sell separately (to my knowledge). I think for Friday/Saturday it's like $110. I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing something like that.
cool. thanks for the info.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 PM
In Search of Truth

I really would like to go. If I could spare the cash with no issues I'd be there no question.
Fates Warning and Royal Hunt are both Top 20 bands for myself, and this will be Royal Hunt's first (and possibly last) gig ever in America. Not to mention it'll be the first US Fates Warning show in over half a decade.
I also love Circus Maximus, Brainstorm, and Pagans Mind and have never seen any of them and would like to see all of them.
The problem for me is that doing this will be financial hell for me, so the more inspiring me to do it, the easier it is for me to justify going through all trouble to make it happen.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

I'd really, really recommend going to anyone that's interested. It's worth every penny.

I went to VIII in 07. I was 15, and I was determined to see Pagan's Mind (a band that has been a favorite of mine since I was 11 or so). I can easily say it's been the best music-related time of my life so far (if not best weekend of my life period). Primal Fear, Pagan's Mind, After Forever, Freak Kitchen, and Raintime!!

But, really, I know it seems like it would be an insane amount of money. But if you save up, you can make it work out. You have to figure around $140 for the Friday/Saturday ticket (after Ticketmaster fees), then if you plan on going to Wednesday and Thursday that's a bit extra since each show runs around $20 if I'm not mistaken. Depending on your preferred mode of transportation - I personally took the bus, as it was the cheapest option at the time. That was a little over $100 I think, though coming from Rhode Island I spent 26 or 27 hours on the bus ONE WAY. I slept almost the entire way home.

And then, either see if there's anyone you know going, or see if anyone on the ProgPower boards are looking for roommates - you can split a room closer to the venue, OR stay at the Inn at the Peachtrees (I think that's the hotel I'm thinking of) which is farther, but it's cheaper, and it also runs a shuttle to the venue for the show if I'm not mistaken.

Believe me - I was only 15 when I went to VIII. If you try, you can make it happen. I wouldn't trade the weekend I spent in Atlanta for anything. It's a great time, with great people and great music.

I'll almost definitely be there, but I have people that I'd be rooming with so that takes quite a bit of the pressure off knowing I won't have to pay all the money for the hotel every night. But I understand the need for the Thursday confirmation to put anyone over the edge.

Let's bring on the Showcase announcement!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
I'd really, really recommend going to anyone that's interested. It's worth every penny.

I went to VIII in 07. I was 15, and I was determined to see Pagan's Mind (a band that has been a favorite of mine since I was 11 or so). I can easily say it's been the best music-related time of my life so far (if not best weekend of my life period). Primal Fear, Pagan's Mind, After Forever, Freak Kitchen, and Raintime!!

But, really, I know it seems like it would be an insane amount of money. But if you save up, you can make it work out. You have to figure around $140 for the Friday/Saturday ticket (after Ticketmaster fees), then if you plan on going to Wednesday and Thursday that's a bit extra since each show runs around $20 if I'm not mistaken. Depending on your preferred mode of transportation - I personally took the bus, as it was the cheapest option at the time. That was a little over $100 I think, though coming from Rhode Island I spent 26 or 27 hours on the bus ONE WAY. I slept almost the entire way home.

And then, either see if there's anyone you know going, or see if anyone on the ProgPower boards are looking for roommates - you can split a room closer to the venue, OR stay at the Inn at the Peachtrees (I think that's the hotel I'm thinking of) which is farther, but it's cheaper, and it also runs a shuttle to the venue for the show if I'm not mistaken.

Believe me - I was only 15 when I went to VIII. If you try, you can make it happen. I wouldn't trade the weekend I spent in Atlanta for anything. It's a great time, with great people and great music.

I'll almost definitely be there, but I have people that I'd be rooming with so that takes quite a bit of the pressure off knowing I won't have to pay all the money for the hotel every night. But I understand the need for the Thursday confirmation to put anyone over the edge.

Let's bring on the Showcase announcement!
This is the kind of stuff I read that makes me really want to make whatever sacrifices necessary to make it happen.
What bus company did you use? Was it $100 one-way or round-trip? Also, how much to most of the hotels in the area cost per night?
All info appreciated.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
This is the kind of stuff I read that makes me really want to make whatever sacrifices necessary to make it happen.
What bus company did you use? Was it $100 one-way or round-trip? Also, how much to most of the hotels in the area cost per night?
All info appreciated.
Bus company was Greyhound, and I remember whatever it was we paid was round-trip. But it was also purchased much closer to the date (My parents changed their minds multiple times whether I could go or not, and I finally was given the final OK in late August/early September or so, it was in October that year). It was somewhere in the $140-ish range, almost positive. Though right now purchasing from RI to Atlanta is $240 or so round-trip. Also, obviously looking for cheaper flights is always an option.

As for hotels, I'm not exactly sure. You're going to have to see what works for you, and what's available - unfortunately a convention was apparently booked that same weekend, so it's going to take some looking to find deals on hotel rooms. I'm not the best person to go to for hotel info though, seeing as how the year I went, we stayed at the Georgian Terrace on Thursday night - which was a FANTASTIC hotel choice for five people, plenty of sleeping room, but more expensive than we had been told over the phone, and after Sonata Arctica closed Friday night, we drove back to one of our roommates houses, in North Carolina, to stay the night and then drove back to Atlanta in the morning. After the show concluded on Saturday, I went to the bus station, seeing as how my bus left at 3:45 AM. So it's a matter of looking to see what works for you, what your price-range is, and if you have anyone to room with (There's always people on the ProgPower board looking).