Godflesh -- San Francisco, CA -- April 20th, 2014
Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014

Old 09-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Pavo Blogs Live On Launch Of Rock Band 2

From what I gather, there are only places in Northern California selling Rock Band 2 at midnight, all three Walmart Supercenters: Gilroy, Stockton, and Sacramento. I managed to buy copy number one of only sixteen in Gilroy. I basically fucking rule.

Ok, I rule mostly by fucking accident. Last night, the Mickster and I went to see Nightwish. A long story made short, the Mickster got a little drunk and I spent the night sucking down so much Monster Energy that I was jacked up until morning. I ended up sleeping this afternoon into the evening for a few hours. A few minutes into scanning the game site, I realized Rock Band 2 was actually launching tonight and not Tuesday.

After another hour of recon, I realized my only shot was the Gilroy Walmart. I arrived about 9:45 PM, expecting to a huge line. Not a soul was waiting. However, my friends working the electronics department at the store told me they were getting a lot of calls.

For the next hour, we just shot the shit about games and music and time passed quickly. Eventually, people started showing up. Gamers. Music geek. Gaming music geeks. It was super cool and I enjoyed every one of it.

So now I'm at home typing this out and preparing my sacrifice to the gods of metal ( tacos) and am basically going to play all fucking night. I'm going to update this thread throughout the night as a first impression. When the rest of you fuckers buy the game in the morning ( ), you can take over this thread.

Oh mighty God of Metal.. please accept this taco....
Old 09-14-2008, 12:24 AM

Here's a Rock Band forum thread on midnight releases: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showt...=77718&page=20

Talks about the Walmart super center thingy.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:16 AM

A little disappointment on character creation... I thought RB2 allowed complete customization but that was be Guitar Hero World Tour. My bad. Damn.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:22 AM

1st song... Eye Of The Tiger... 95%. Five Stars.

Going through a little adjustment from Guitar Hero. No big deal. Kind of weird playing on a 360 Les Paul. Most of my experience is on the PS3 with the Fender.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:24 AM

10 Achievement Points already... West Coast Performer: Played a set on West Coast of North America. Kind of getting in school for signing your name on a test.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:39 AM

Having calibration problems... failed NotB... I nail that song. Something is wrong... Figuring it out...

I can tell you right now... this game is feeling like Rock Band 1.5... or that Rock Band 1 was released too damn early in a rush to hit the Christmas market. The early hardware was shit. It's not the software was shit, more that what I'm playing now feels a lot better.

Very nice actually being able to play the World Tour solo, I must say.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:50 AM

Made some adjustments and beat NotB on expert. Not a very good score and it felt like shit. More works need to be done here. Reminds of when I first got GHIII and RB1. Hmmm.....
Old 09-14-2008, 02:06 AM

Loaded up Rock Band to get prior setting. Scored NotB much better. Not as good as I would like but then again I haven't touched Rock Band seriously in a while in favor of Guitar Hero.

Currently exporting the Rock Band songs to the hard disk for use in Rock Band 2. Requires a small vaseline charge to Xbox Live for a license key.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:15 AM

20 Achievement Points.. Got Wheels.. Won a Van in World Tour.

It's nice to finally be able to participate in the Tour aspect of Rock Band. I tried doing the solo man guitar-vocal band in RB1 but it didn't really work out that well. Having picked up RB1 on launch day, all the failing hardware (PS3 version) bullshit really dampened my enthusiasm for the game, the drums especially.

I'm going to have work out my calibration issues.

Hey, I hired a manager in the game... i bet that dirty bastard steals my cash. We clearly need a Soul Calibur IV crossover here. And then we could have Ivy doing things on stage...
Old 09-14-2008, 04:29 AM

This may be a little damning but I'm about to call it a night at 5:30 AM. I'm not super motivated to try to solve this at the harder levels for a 12 hour session. i.e. I did GH Aerosmith on hard on launch in one sitting. Rock Band 2 has many of the things I wished I had a year ago in the first version. Instead of calling this version Rock Band 1.5, I'd probably go with Rock Band 1.75 or so. 2.0? A lot of this should have been in the first release.

Of course, I'm sitting with my GH III Aerosmith Les Paul. I'd probably be more excited if I had a new Fender and drums in front of me. We were so damn excited about Rock Band 1 that we took pics at various stages of even opening the box.

The calibration thing is bugging me. We worked it out on the PS3 and it will take some time here. I didn't spend a lot of time with Rock Band on 360. It could also be the differences in the bigger margin on error on GHIII vs RB; maybe I got used to a slop factor. I'm not too worried about it.

A lot of the music is bumming me out. I need heavier shit right now. I know this is ROCK Band and not METAL band.... Major kudo's for the Rock Band export feature... the only reason I have to load the original RB now is for achievement whoring.

I like that your characters are no longer tied to an instrument.

I like the challenges / battle of the bands. They have a couple of Launch Day challenges, one with an only another hour or so to go. Very nice. Only 1000 people have played so far.... Ouch... I guess a lot of walmarts only got a few copies....

I like the idea of the drum trainer but have not way to play it tonight.

Attempted to do a little Xbox live band quickplay but no one showed up. Not too surprising. It's launch day and the stores aren't open! .... update... someone showed up on drums and bass... choose expert on my random set list... then bailed out. * sigh *

I fucking hate my Les Paul.. the star power doesn't ignite quickly.. i ended up breaking my streaks while choking the neck of my guitar. Damn, this issue has cost me some points tonight. No, I'm not super trained on using the select button to activate star power.

One final note before I sign off... I'd be a MUCH better bass player if I didn't waste my time with these fucking games.