Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Um, what? The whole point of the squid is that it IS something no one's ever seen before. It's terrifying, it's alien, and it's completely unexplained. That's the reason why the US and Russia are willing to end hostilities: it's something so utterly preposterous that they have no choice but to cooperate.
But I think the way the movie does it makes just as much since, if not more. Manhattan was giving his powers to Adrian to work on 'alternative energy devices.' Adrian sets up this operation to make the world hate Manhattan, with the cancer and the interview and everything, so he leaves Earth because he feels the whole world is against him. He finally returns to save the planet, but Adrian uses those energy devices as bombs, and the world blames Manhattan anyway.

It makes perfect sense. I think the way the book does it, though I am going on what others have said because I have not read it yet, the squid comes out of nowhere, there is no way for the people of the world, the other watchmen, or the reader to know that it is coming. Whereas, in then movie, there are at least hints and connections that can be made to earlier parts in the movie.

I feel if someone walked into the movie without any knowledge of the book, a giant ass random squid would make very little sense. That is one of my only complaints about the movie: was it being made for the general population or for the comic book nerds? Because they never explain Ozy's weird lion thing, or his Antarctic fortress, etc.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
spoilers too i guess:

i havent seen the movie yet either, but Rorschach was my favorite, he was definitely the deepest character and had the biggest impact on the story and depending on how you view the ending, gets the last laugh. ozy was too full of himself and lost in his own world, doc manhattan was too robotic, and nite owl was just boring. but rorschach and the comedian were definitely the coolest characters.
[SPOILERS AHEAD, although at this point probably everyone's either read the book or seen the movie, so it probably doesn't matter..]

I absolutely hated Rorschach. All the moments when you're supposed to go "Whoa, he's awesome!" are pretty transparent and contrived, even if they usually work (I found myself inadvertently going "Whoa, he's awesome!" a few times). I realize that all the characters are meant to be flawed, but at least from the impression I got from the movie, I thought he was the shallowest character, with all his loud, empty moralizing. I was kinda happy when he blew up at the end; he and his black-and-white (surprise!) worldview are so incredibly beneath Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Dharma Wants You

Thought the movie pretty much sucked. Too long, predictable and boring. Also blue dick everywhere wtf.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:26 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral_Slave View Post
Also blue dick everywhere wtf.
Hahah. Yeah. Someone mentioned to me that they think it's there as a sort of phallic symbol of his superpowers, but I'm not sure I buy that. I read that in the comic, the illustrator wanted to make his genitals understated, like a classical sculpture, so that they would be there but they wouldn't obstruct the reader's view of everything else. Somehow that interpretation didn't make it into the movie, and instead we get Cocktor Wanghattan, as Div so gracefully put it.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
Hahah. Yeah. Someone mentioned to me that they think it's there as a sort of phallic symbol of his superpowers, but I'm not sure I buy that. I read that in the comic, the illustrator wanted to make his genitals understated, like a classical sculpture, so that they would be there but they wouldn't obstruct the reader's view of everything else. Somehow that interpretation didn't make it into the movie, and instead we get Cocktor Wanghattan, as Div so gracefully put it.
Yeah, I heard we were going to see dick, but I thought it would be like the Simpsons movie, where they show it for two seconds and thats it, but nope: dicks galore, the whole movie.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Were there at least boobs?

Also, the thing that makes people sympathetic to Rosharch is his backstory, I don't know if that was discussed in the movie or not.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Were there at least boobs?

Also, the thing that makes people sympathetic to Rosharch is his backstory, I don't know if that was discussed in the movie or not.
Yeah, and they seemed just as pointless as the giant blue dicks.

We get Rorschach's backstory, and it does generate some sympathy, but it seems fairly truncated--so what we're left with is a predictable picture of a young kid neglected/hated by his parents and made fun of by bigger kids. Yawn. And we witness his discovery of the little girl who was fed to dogs, which ultimately makes him as crazy as he is, but this also seems forced and truncated.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:08 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
[SPOILERS AHEAD, although at this point probably everyone's either read the book or seen the movie, so it probably doesn't matter..]

I absolutely hated Rorschach. All the moments when you're supposed to go "Whoa, he's awesome!" are pretty transparent and contrived, even if they usually work (I found myself inadvertently going "Whoa, he's awesome!" a few times). I realize that all the characters are meant to be flawed, but at least from the impression I got from the movie, I thought he was the shallowest character, with all his loud, empty moralizing. I was kinda happy when he blew up at the end; he and his black-and-white (surprise!) worldview are so incredibly beneath Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan.

I guess when you put it that way, the other two characters definitely had broader perspectives on the world. But I just found it too hard to relate to a giant blue omnipotent being or a rich supergenius. I thought it was respectable in the way he would rather die than compromise his mission, even if the conspiracy wasn't as big as he thought. And his sometimes over-the-top conservatism provided a bit of comic relief at points, like when he was leaving veidt's tower and made the journal note,

Old 03-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
But I think the way the movie does it makes just as much since, if not more. Manhattan was giving his powers to Adrian to work on 'alternative energy devices.' Adrian sets up this operation to make the world hate Manhattan, with the cancer and the interview and everything, so he leaves Earth because he feels the whole world is against him. He finally returns to save the planet, but Adrian uses those energy devices as bombs, and the world blames Manhattan anyway.

It makes perfect sense. I think the way the book does it, though I am going on what others have said because I have not read it yet, the squid comes out of nowhere, there is no way for the people of the world, the other watchmen, or the reader to know that it is coming. Whereas, in then movie, there are at least hints and connections that can be made to earlier parts in the movie.

I feel if someone walked into the movie without any knowledge of the book, a giant ass random squid would make very little sense. That is one of my only complaints about the movie: was it being made for the general population or for the comic book nerds? Because they never explain Ozy's weird lion thing, or his Antarctic fortress, etc.
There is an explanation for the squid in the comic, but for the life of me, I don't really remember what it was...
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 03-08-2009, 12:30 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

ozymandias created it to scare the world into thinking there may be an alien invasion. then he teleported it into new york and it released the psychic waves that killed half the city.

what i dont get is that, even if it makes the world unified at the time being, eventually when no more squids arrive things are bound to go back to the way they were, or hell it could even cause weird squid worshipping cults to arise. tho i still think its better than the movie's "god watching over us" ending.