Raven -- Fullerton, CA -- October 23rd, 2014
King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
MY LEG!!

Stratton and Di'Anno

I'm just listening to some Maiden stuff from the BBC Archives disc from Eddie's Archive and it inspired me to look up Dennis Stratton on Wikipedia, see what he's been up to lately, and I actually learned from Maiden-related info that I didn't know (which is very surprising ).

Stratton got with Paul Di'Anno in the mid 90's and started a project called 'The Original Iron Men' and they put out 3 albums; 'The Original Iron Men', The Original Iron Men 2', and 'As Hard As Iron'.

What a bunch of tools, hahaha.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 AM
J-Priest Fa Sho

wow they are tools, especially since they weren't the original iron men
Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 PM
In Search of Truth

The reason why I will always have a TON more respect for BLAZE than I do for DiAnno is that Paul can NOT seem to go on with his career and leave his Maiden past behind. Sure, Blaze will still play like 3 or 4 Maiden songs live, but he very much embraces his own solo material. Paul has had a whole bunch of random, meaningless projects over the years, all the while clinging desperately to the Maiden material he was on. His live and compilation album tracklistings are hilarious. It's like 70% Maiden material.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:00 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
The reason why I will always have a TON more respect for BLAZE than I do for DiAnno is that Paul can NOT seem to go on with his career and leave his Maiden past behind. Sure, Blaze will still play like 3 or 4 Maiden songs live, but he very much embraces his own solo material. Paul has had a whole bunch of random, meaningless projects over the years, all the while clinging desperately to the Maiden material he was on. His live and compilation album tracklistings are hilarious. It's like 70% Maiden material.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
His live and compilation album tracklistings are hilarious. It's like 70% Maiden material.
Only some of them. The rest are 100% Maiden. He even puts live versions of Maiden tracks on his solo albums as bonus tracks.

He's constantly re-recording those songs in different ways with his solo band(s).

The thing is, the Battlezone stuff kicks ass. The Killers stuff kicks ass. Most of his solo stuff kicks ass. But he doesn't seem to care.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Old 08-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Speaking of how Di'anno can't get over the Maiden thing...I think I remember reading somewhere that his "Live at the Palace" VHS was, at one point, re-released on DVD as "Paul Di'anno: The First Singer of Iron Maiden".

Is this true?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

I think the Di'anno years are still way better than the Blaze years, but that probably has more to do with Harris' songwriting than either of the singers.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:12 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
I think the Di'anno years are still way better than the Blaze years, but that probably has more to do with Harris' songwriting than either of the singers.
Thank you. I MUCH prefer the Blaze years myself, but I really can't stand it when people take it out on Blaze himself. Steve's writing really was what gave that period it's distinctive sound.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:51 PM
MY LEG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuKun View Post
Speaking of how Di'anno can't get over the Maiden thing...I think I remember reading somewhere that his "Live at the Palace" VHS was, at one point, re-released on DVD as "Paul Di'anno: The First Singer of Iron Maiden".

Is this true?
I'm not sure ... but, like, if you go to his website, www.pauldianno.com , it's a joke. Scroll down a little on the main page to see 'his' DVDs.

Go to his MySpace, his tagline is simply "Former Vocalist of Iron Maiden!", and under the 'Sounds Like' section, jus says "Iron Maiden".

All I can say is ...
Old 08-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

In 2006 he actually re-recorded the Maiden stuff and released it as "The Classics - The Maiden Years". Those were his last recordings to date, seeing as the "Living Dead" album was a re-release of "Nomad" with one new song.

I love the way he's always referring to himself as "The Beast" too, trying to link himself somehow to 'Number of The Beast'. His book is called 'The Beast', his DVD 'The Beast In The East', 'The Beast Live' live album (which is entirely Maiden songs).

By the way, if anyone's interesting in Paul actually not doing Maiden, a three-disc box set of his three Battlezone albums (minus some previously available demos, outtakes and live songs) was released earlier this year.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest

Last edited by ravenheart; 08-24-2008 at 02:10 PM.