The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Old 07-20-2008, 02:06 PM
MY LEG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
and there was even some guy at the theater dressed up as the joker, green hair, makeup, purple suit and everything haha.
Haha yeah when I went opening night there were alot of people in costume. The best was some dude dressed up at a Batmobile. He just wore a big cardboard box that he painted black and painted headlights on, hahah.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Just saw it. Wow. And usually when things are hyped up for me it ruins it.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:42 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I still think this Oscar talk is a tad ridiculous, but the Joker was absolutely flawless.
Supporting actor last year went to Javier Bardem, whose character was similarly deranged (albeit a bit better acted). I don't see why it's out of the question.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Supporting actor last year went to Javier Bardem, whose character was similarly deranged (albeit a bit better acted). I don't see why it's out of the question.
It's out of the question because The Academy Awards take themselves way too seriously to give an award to a comic book movie. And even if Heath Ledger does get nominated, let alone wins, it will only be because he's dead.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:23 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
It's out of the question because The Academy Awards take themselves way too seriously to give an award to a comic book movie. And even if Heath Ledger does get nominated, let alone wins, it will only be because he's dead.
The Dark Knight does seem to stand apart from other comic book movies as far as actual quality of film though. I mean, I love the X-Men movies with all my heart but Hugh Jackman wasn't about to get the Oscar for being a badass.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:07 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

If he does get an award for the role I would hope it isn't just because he's dead, I think this joker will be remembered for a long time to come.

BTW how DID he get those scars?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
BTW how DID he get those scars?
There isn't one agreed-upon backstory for the Joker, not even in the comic books*. Part of his character is that he keeps making up different stories.

*In The Killing Joke, he gives a detailed story about how he was a failed comedian who fell in a vat of chemicals, but there are so many other versions over the years that it's probably bullshit.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
There isn't one agreed-upon backstory for the Joker, not even in the comic books*. Part of his character is that he keeps making up different stories.

*In The Killing Joke, he gives a detailed story about how he was a failed comedian who fell in a vat of chemicals, but there are so many other versions over the years that it's probably bullshit.
a) I have no idea where I first heard this, but to me it was always that he was a gang leader who fell in a vat of chemicals and became a different person altogether.

b) In the beginning of that, Batman goes in to have a real conversation with Joker about what's going to happen between the two of them, of course he only discovers that the Joker escpaed but, still. I want somebody to actually make a story out of that. Or just a side panel or something.

Last edited by JRA; 07-20-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:46 PM
MY LEG!!

Like previously said, The Joker has no true consistant back story. The most wide-spread and most well known story, is as Nick loosely said ( ), that he fell into a vat of chemicals.

In the original DC comics, when they first talk of his backstory, he was a scientist who ended up trying to steal from the company he worked for and he went by the name Red Hood (I think that's what it was). During a robbery against this company, Batman came to save the day and in the process, Red Hood fell into a vat of chemicals. When he emerged, he came out looking like the Joker and then went with that.

As far as The Killing Joke series goes, he was an engineer and had a pregnant wife. He hated his job and took up being a stand up comedian and tried to help support his wife, but the comedy wasn't bringing in enough money. So he gets involved with a small criminal gang who were planning on robbing or commiting some sort of crime against the company he had worked for. One night while planning one of the crimes, he is informed by police that his wife had died in some sort of accident. He wants out of the crime group but the others in teh group wont let him. The night that they go in to do the crime, they run into security and his two accomplices are killed and he begins to escape. He ends up running into Batman (while still in the company), and in an attempt to escape he jumps over a rail and ends up falling into the vat of chemicals. When he eventually ends up down in a reservoir, he gets out looking like the Joker, goes nuts, and becomes the Joker.

The first time he was ever given a name for his real identity was in Batman where Jack Nicholson plays the Joker, he is given the name Jack Napier. Then in a more recent DC Batman series, they stick with having his real name be Jack.

/loved Batman growing up
Old 07-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I was really really glad they didn't try to give him a back story or an identity in this movie. It worked so much better for him to just burst in with no explanation.