Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

  #11  
Old 11-09-2008, 06:55 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
It's in fifth for me right now. I got to thinking earlier about how while albums that are unlike anything I've heard are taking my top spots, much of my list is filled in by bands I'm intimately familiar with who put out albums that sound like them, but with a few new subtle nuances. Amon Amarth and Opeth are certainly among these.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 AM
overkiller overkiller is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,704
Well, that's it, folks. Hell has frozen over--I've somehow managed to like Opeth again. After years of professing bitter hatred for them and regret over the error of my younger days (when I was almost as much an Akerfeldt worshipper as Brad ), both fueled by the anti-Opeth dogma mindlessly regurgitated by UltraBoris's interweb-disciples, I decided to give them another chance with a completely open mind, and I'm really glad I did. Over the course of a few weeks I slowly remembered, not without struggling, why I used to love this band. Now, that's not to say I'm not still highly critical of Opeth; I still think much of their early stuff (Orchid, most of Morningrise, some of My Arms, Your Hearse) is mostly boring and really highlights their weakness for aimlessness and incoherence. Even their best albums (Still Life and Blackwater Park) have weak moments. But when they're on, they're fucking on.

Now, as to the album in question: It's damned good. It may not be on the level of Still Life or Blackwater Park, but it most certainly holds its own as an Opeth album, and is better than Ghost Reveries (which also has great material, but leaves much to be desired). Watershed sees a changed band, but one that is still unquestionably Opeth. The increased focus on the band's prog-rock influence is well-executed and not overly stuffy or cheesy, and while purists may lament the loss of Lindgren and Lopez (okay, yeah, the drumming on Watershed is inferior, but still), the shredding solos from Akesson (I think a good example is on "Hessian Peel", though I could be mistaken), and slick, surgically precise drumming from Axenrot gives the album's heavier moments more of a straight-up "metal" feeling, if you can catch my meaning. The balance between the softer prog elements and the heavier parts here is very impressive, and is arguably better than what they show on their disjointed early material, about which I complained above. The whole album has a terrifyingly unified atmosphere, despite sounding at times like Pink Floyd ("Burden") and at others like, say, Swallow the Sun ("Porcelain Heart"). This is what Opeth should be about, and when they do it right, as they have here, the results are wonderful.

Last edited by overkiller; 11-26-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
TonyD's Avatar
TonyD TonyD is offline
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 6,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
Now, that's not to say I'm not still highly critical of Opeth; I still think much of their early stuff (Orchid, most of Morningrise, some of My Arms, Your Hearse) is mostly boring and really highlights their weakness for aimlessness and incoherence. Even their best albums (Still Life and Blackwater Park) have weak moments. But when they're on, they're fucking on.
You said it man. Nobody fucks with the Jesus.
__________________
8/20 High on Fire 4free
8/24 NIN/Soundgarden
11/16 Judas Priest
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Blitzkrieg Witchcraft's Avatar
Blitzkrieg Witchcraft Blitzkrieg Witchcraft is offline
Play it loud, don't play it low
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,565
I prefer Ghost Reveries as a whole, but Watershed has some great songs on it. Namely The Lotus Eater.
__________________
2/23: Metal Church
3/21: Carcass
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 AM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
Well, that's it, folks. Hell has frozen over--I've somehow managed to like Opeth again. After years of professing bitter hatred for them and regret over the error of my younger days (when I was almost as much an Akerfeldt worshipper as Brad ), both fueled by the anti-Opeth dogma mindlessly regurgitated by UltraBoris's interweb-disciples, I decided to give them another chance with a completely open mind, and I'm really glad I did. Over the course of a few weeks I slowly remembered, not without struggling, why I used to love this band. Now, that's not to say I'm not still highly critical of Opeth; I still think much of their early stuff (Orchid, most of Morningrise, some of My Arms, Your Hearse) is mostly boring and really highlights their weakness for aimlessness and incoherence. Even their best albums (Still Life and Blackwater Park) have weak moments. But when they're on, they're fucking on.

Now, as to the album in question: It's damned good. It may not be on the level of Still Life or Blackwater Park, but it most certainly holds its own as an Opeth album, and is better than Ghost Reveries (which also has great material, but leaves much to be desired). Watershed sees a changed band, but one that is still unquestionably Opeth. The increased focus on the band's prog-rock influence is well-executed and not overly stuffy or cheesy, and while purists may lament the loss of Lindgren and Lopez (okay, yeah, the drumming on Watershed is inferior, but still), the shredding solos from Akesson (I think a good example is on "Hessian Peel", though I could be mistaken), and slick, surgically precise drumming from Axenrot gives the album's heavier moments more of a straight-up "metal" feeling, if you can catch my meaning. The balance between the softer prog elements and the heavier parts here is very impressive, and is arguably better than what they show on their disjointed early material, about which I complained above. The whole album has a terrifyingly unified atmosphere, despite sounding at times like Pink Floyd ("Burden") and at others like, say, Swallow the Sun ("Porcelain Heart"). This is what Opeth should be about, and when they do it right, as they have here, the results are wonderful.
If you rank this album higher than me, I will shit my pants.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-27-2008, 08:57 AM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
Well, that's it, folks. Hell has frozen over--I've somehow managed to like Opeth again. After years of professing bitter hatred for them and regret over the error of my younger days (when I was almost as much an Akerfeldt worshipper as Brad ), both fueled by the anti-Opeth dogma mindlessly regurgitated by UltraBoris's interweb-disciples, I decided to give them another chance with a completely open mind, and I'm really glad I did. Over the course of a few weeks I slowly remembered, not without struggling, why I used to love this band. Now, that's not to say I'm not still highly critical of Opeth; I still think much of their early stuff (Orchid, most of Morningrise, some of My Arms, Your Hearse) is mostly boring and really highlights their weakness for aimlessness and incoherence. Even their best albums (Still Life and Blackwater Park) have weak moments. But when they're on, they're fucking on.

Now, as to the album in question: It's damned good. It may not be on the level of Still Life or Blackwater Park, but it most certainly holds its own as an Opeth album, and is better than Ghost Reveries (which also has great material, but leaves much to be desired). Watershed sees a changed band, but one that is still unquestionably Opeth. The increased focus on the band's prog-rock influence is well-executed and not overly stuffy or cheesy, and while purists may lament the loss of Lindgren and Lopez (okay, yeah, the drumming on Watershed is inferior, but still), the shredding solos from Akesson (I think a good example is on "Hessian Peel", though I could be mistaken), and slick, surgically precise drumming from Axenrot gives the album's heavier moments more of a straight-up "metal" feeling, if you can catch my meaning. The balance between the softer prog elements and the heavier parts here is very impressive, and is arguably better than what they show on their disjointed early material, about which I complained above. The whole album has a terrifyingly unified atmosphere, despite sounding at times like Pink Floyd ("Burden") and at others like, say, Swallow the Sun ("Porcelain Heart"). This is what Opeth should be about, and when they do it right, as they have here, the results are wonderful.

To bad Hell only freezes over when I decide to get Operation: Mindcrime.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-29-2008, 01:23 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Why are the only ways Hell can freeze over resultant of taking my recommendations?
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Why are the only ways Hell can freeze over resultant of taking my recommendations?

Cos Satan likes it steamy. Besides, I picked up Heartwork. Quit your bitching.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Cos Satan likes it steamy. Besides, I picked up Heartwork. Quit your bitching.
I didn't see Satan and I was wondering why the fuck you were saying "CoS likes it steamy." for about five minutes here.
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 AM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I didn't see Satan and I was wondering why the fuck you were saying "CoS likes it steamy." for about five minutes here.
Well he did mention his love for Cleveland Steamers at one point.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008