Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Old 11-09-2008, 06:55 PM
We're dying on the inside

It's in fifth for me right now. I got to thinking earlier about how while albums that are unlike anything I've heard are taking my top spots, much of my list is filled in by bands I'm intimately familiar with who put out albums that sound like them, but with a few new subtle nuances. Amon Amarth and Opeth are certainly among these.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 AM
N00B

Well, that's it, folks. Hell has frozen over--I've somehow managed to like Opeth again. After years of professing bitter hatred for them and regret over the error of my younger days (when I was almost as much an Akerfeldt worshipper as Brad ), both fueled by the anti-Opeth dogma mindlessly regurgitated by UltraBoris's interweb-disciples, I decided to give them another chance with a completely open mind, and I'm really glad I did. Over the course of a few weeks I slowly remembered, not without struggling, why I used to love this band. Now, that's not to say I'm not still highly critical of Opeth; I still think much of their early stuff (Orchid, most of Morningrise, some of My Arms, Your Hearse) is mostly boring and really highlights their weakness for aimlessness and incoherence. Even their best albums (Still Life and Blackwater Park) have weak moments. But when they're on, they're fucking on.

Now, as to the album in question: It's damned good. It may not be on the level of Still Life or Blackwater Park, but it most certainly holds its own as an Opeth album, and is better than Ghost Reveries (which also has great material, but leaves much to be desired). Watershed sees a changed band, but one that is still unquestionably Opeth. The increased focus on the band's prog-rock influence is well-executed and not overly stuffy or cheesy, and while purists may lament the loss of Lindgren and Lopez (okay, yeah, the drumming on Watershed is inferior, but still), the shredding solos from Akesson (I think a good example is on "Hessian Peel", though I could be mistaken), and slick, surgically precise drumming from Axenrot gives the album's heavier moments more of a straight-up "metal" feeling, if you can catch my meaning. The balance between the softer prog elements and the heavier parts here is very impressive, and is arguably better than what they show on their disjointed early material, about which I complained above. The whole album has a terrifyingly unified atmosphere, despite sounding at times like Pink Floyd ("Burden") and at others like, say, Swallow the Sun ("Porcelain Heart"). This is what Opeth should be about, and when they do it right, as they have here, the results are wonderful.

Last edited by overkiller; 11-26-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
Now, that's not to say I'm not still highly critical of Opeth; I still think much of their early stuff (Orchid, most of Morningrise, some of My Arms, Your Hearse) is mostly boring and really highlights their weakness for aimlessness and incoherence. Even their best albums (Still Life and Blackwater Park) have weak moments. But when they're on, they're fucking on.
You said it man. Nobody fucks with the Jesus.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Play it loud, don't play it low

I prefer Ghost Reveries as a whole, but Watershed has some great songs on it. Namely The Lotus Eater.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Well, that's it, folks. Hell has frozen over--I've somehow managed to like Opeth again. After years of professing bitter hatred for them and regret over the error of my younger days (when I was almost as much an Akerfeldt worshipper as Brad ), both fueled by the anti-Opeth dogma mindlessly regurgitated by UltraBoris's interweb-disciples, I decided to give them another chance with a completely open mind, and I'm really glad I did. Over the course of a few weeks I slowly remembered, not without struggling, why I used to love this band. Now, that's not to say I'm not still highly critical of Opeth; I still think much of their early stuff (Orchid, most of Morningrise, some of My Arms, Your Hearse) is mostly boring and really highlights their weakness for aimlessness and incoherence. Even their best albums (Still Life and Blackwater Park) have weak moments. But when they're on, they're fucking on.

Now, as to the album in question: It's damned good. It may not be on the level of Still Life or Blackwater Park, but it most certainly holds its own as an Opeth album, and is better than Ghost Reveries (which also has great material, but leaves much to be desired). Watershed sees a changed band, but one that is still unquestionably Opeth. The increased focus on the band's prog-rock influence is well-executed and not overly stuffy or cheesy, and while purists may lament the loss of Lindgren and Lopez (okay, yeah, the drumming on Watershed is inferior, but still), the shredding solos from Akesson (I think a good example is on "Hessian Peel", though I could be mistaken), and slick, surgically precise drumming from Axenrot gives the album's heavier moments more of a straight-up "metal" feeling, if you can catch my meaning. The balance between the softer prog elements and the heavier parts here is very impressive, and is arguably better than what they show on their disjointed early material, about which I complained above. The whole album has a terrifyingly unified atmosphere, despite sounding at times like Pink Floyd ("Burden") and at others like, say, Swallow the Sun ("Porcelain Heart"). This is what Opeth should be about, and when they do it right, as they have here, the results are wonderful.
If you rank this album higher than me, I will shit my pants.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:

To bad Hell only freezes over when I decide to get Operation: Mindcrime.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:23 PM

Why are the only ways Hell can freeze over resultant of taking my recommendations?
Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Why are the only ways Hell can freeze over resultant of taking my recommendations?

Cos Satan likes it steamy. Besides, I picked up Heartwork. Quit your bitching.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Cos Satan likes it steamy. Besides, I picked up Heartwork. Quit your bitching.
I didn't see Satan and I was wondering why the fuck you were saying "CoS likes it steamy." for about five minutes here.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I didn't see Satan and I was wondering why the fuck you were saying "CoS likes it steamy." for about five minutes here.
Well he did mention his love for Cleveland Steamers at one point.