Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland - September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Large Marge sent me.

I have listened to Nostadamus once so far and well...

Good
1.I applaud Judas Priest for trying out a new idea and to reach a demograph who loves progressive metal.
2.Aside from Jugulator with Tim Owens on vocals. This is the most progressive project Judas Priest has done with Rob Halford on vocals.
3.Out of the whole package. There are some really good songs on this album.

Disc 1
1.Dawn of Creation/Prophecy
2.The Four Horsemen/War
3.Conquest
4.Persecution

I wish I could point out some good songs from disc 2 but I need to listen to the album again. However....

1.Visions
2.Future of Mankind

The Bad

1.People who grew up with the classic Judas Priest sound might not like this album.
2.There were some filler areas in most of the songs that should have been taken out.
3.If you are expecting that classic Judas Priest sound. Look elsewhere, pal.
4.It can be difficult to listen to this album in one sitting as well as absorbing all of the new things Judas Priest has included in this album.
5.You have to be really open minded to appreciate this album as a whole.
6.Although I said I applaud Judas Priest for trying out something new. That can be bad because they are unintentially shutting out 99% of their fans who grew up with the classic Judas Priest sound that was created on "Hell Bent for Leather," "British Steel," and "Screaming for Vengeance."

My final conclusion is that much like any concept album. Nostadamus is one of those albums that will hopefully begin to sink in over time and will be appreciated a lot more. Well, there you are, kids. My review of Nostradamus. My opinion will change as time goes on though and I hope yours does as well. However, there is some good news for anyone who will be seeing Judas Priest on the Metal Masters tour this summer. They will only be doing a few songs off the new album. I am hoping to see this show at PNC on Aug 9th. Is anyone else going?
Old 06-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric/Funeral55 View Post
I have listened to Nostadamus once so far and well...

Good
1.I applaud Judas Priest for trying out a new idea and to reach a demograph who loves progressive metal.
2.Aside from Jugulator with Tim Owens on vocals. This is the most progressive project Judas Priest has done with Rob Halford on vocals.
3.Out of the whole package. There are some really good songs on this album.

Disc 1
1.Dawn of Creation/Prophecy
2.The Four Horsemen/War
3.Conquest
4.Persecution

I wish I could point out some good songs from disc 2 but I need to listen to the album again. However....

1.Visions
2.Future of Mankind

The Bad

1.People who grew up with the classic Judas Priest sound might not like this album.
2.There were some filler areas in most of the songs that should have been taken out.
4.It can be difficult to listen to this album in one sitting as well as absorbing all of the new things Judas Priest has included in this album.
6.Although I said I applaud Judas Priest for trying out something new. That can be bad because they are unintentially shutting out 99% of their fans who grew up with the classic Judas Priest sound that was created on "Hell Bent for Leather," "British Steel," and "Screaming for Vengeance."

My final conclusion is that much like any concept album. Nostadamus is one of those albums that will hopefully begin to sink in over time and will be appreciated a lot more. Well, there you are, kids. My review of Nostradamus. My opinion will change as time goes on though and I hope yours does as well. However, there is some good news for anyone who will be seeing Judas Priest on the Metal Masters tour this summer. They will only be doing a few songs off the new album. I am hoping to see this show at PNC on Aug 9th. Is anyone else going?

Wow, this is practically identical to what I was planning to say about the album. Well, good show then. (although I would list the title track amongst good songs on disc 2.)
Old 06-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Large Marge sent me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
Wow, this is practically identical to what I was planning to say about the album. Well, good show then. (although I would list the title track amongst good songs on disc 2.)
Early bird gets the worm, mate .
Old 06-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric/Funeral55 View Post
I don't see any of these as bad points. In fact, I don't see point six as a bad point either. Fans who abandon bands when they do something different just because it doesn't sound like the old stuff, especially when that something different is still good, are not fans.

That said, Nostradamus isn't incredibly different sounding to Angel of Retribution. It's just longer with lots of new ideas on top of that sound, so it really shouldn't alienate too many more "fans" than Angel of Retribution did.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull

Last edited by ravenheart; 06-22-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:05 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I don't see any of these as bad points. In fact, I don't see point six as a bad point either. Fans who abandon bands when they do something different just because it doesn't sound like the old stuff, especially when that something different is still good, are not fans.
wether or not something is "good" is a matter of opinion, and bands need to learn to stop trying to be something that they aren't. if you had a favorite restaurant that you went to that served great seafood but suddenly one day when you went there they said "sorry we don't do seafood anymore, have a hoagie instead" would you go "oh well a hoagie is fine too"? no you'd slap the manager and tell him to cut that shit out. i would argue that "fans" who stick by a band when they pull shit like this, just because the band has a popular name, are helping to ruin things by encouraging more shitty material. just because its "progressive" doesn't mean its good, especially from a band who's not known for that. so should overkill hype a new album for two years and then release a two disk opera about the life and death of tycho brahe? i think fans everywhere would go "what the fuck is this" and would have a right to be a bit pissed off.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:33 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
wether or not something is "good" is a matter of opinion, and bands need to learn to stop trying to be something that they aren't. if you had a favorite restaurant that you went to that served great seafood but suddenly one day when you went there they said "sorry we don't do seafood anymore, have a hoagie instead" would you go "oh well a hoagie is fine too"? no you'd slap the manager and tell him to cut that shit out. i would argue that "fans" who stick by a band when they pull shit like this, just because the band has a popular name, are helping to ruin things by encouraging more shitty material. just because its "progressive" doesn't mean its good, especially from a band who's not known for that. so should overkill hype a new album for two years and then release a two disk opera about the life and death of tycho brahe? i think fans everywhere would go "what the fuck is this" and would have a right to be a bit pissed off.
It's not like Priest didn't say the entire time it wasn't going to be classic Priest(double negative lol). Everyone knew this was going to be a big departure from their regular sound.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:12 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
(double negative lol)

Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Dharma Wants You

Thumbs up

I'm really enjoying the album.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
wether or not something is "good" is a matter of opinion, and bands need to learn to stop trying to be something that they aren't.
They're not being something they aren't. They're being a metal band. Why should they restrict themselves to cheesy '80s metal when they can build so much more around a core classic metal sound? Given that they told everyone well in advance what they were planning to do with their next album I think it's perfectly justified of them to expect the metal fans who buy it to be as open minded when listening to it as they were making it.

If you want the same sound every album, listen to Status Quo or RHCP

On the Overkill metal opera front, if they're capable, why the fuck not? It's their music. It could turn out to be a good metal opera. And if you don't like metal operas, and Overkill gave you plenty of warning that their next album was going to be a metal opera, then you have absolutely no right to be pissed with them if you go out and buy it and don't like it.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull

Last edited by ravenheart; 06-23-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:46 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral_Slave View Post
I'm really enjoying the album.
I second that. I picked it up 2 days ago and after 2 and a half listens I definitely enjoy more of it than I don't, so overall I've got good thoughts.