Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I had this discussion with Josh earlier, but I'd thought I'd share it with everyone else and expand on a few things: These things that he talked about, among others, are part of the reason that I've started to grow out of Maiden a little bit, and why they're no longer my favorite band. Every year seems to bring a new annoyance or frustration: ANOTHER live album?? The same setlist every night? ANOTHER song with a slow bass intro? ANOTHER DVD with seizure-inducing editing? ANOTHER tour that ignores half the US? Guys like ADD and Pavo are right: Complaining about these things is kind of dumb, and, in the end, fruitless. But when they continue year after year and tour after tour, you just start to get sick and tired of it. Getting the same thing every year is tedious, and after a while even the most ardent fanboys (like I used to be) are worn down by it.

That's not to say that everything is bad, though. Despite the fact that their albums are sounding kind of same-y these days, they still show us a flash of brilliance and inventiveness now and then. Songs like "Paschendale," "Journeyman," and "The Legacy" are good examples of this, I think. Their setlists have improved over the last couple tours, and they've brought back some old stuff that a lot of people weren't sure we'd ever see again (Rime and Moonchild come immediately to mind).

Those are examples of things that keep me interested in this band, and they're what keep me from just giving up completely. However, when other bands I love are doing much more daring and exciting things, it's inevitable that I'll start to drift away from ol' steady Maiden. Josh thinks they shouldn't call it quits yet; I do. I really hate to say it, but as time goes by I can only see things getting more embarrassing, and I think one last album and a fucking enormous farewell tour would ensure that they go out with a bang and with most of their fanbase intact. They'll always have a place on my record shelf, and I still wear my Maiden shirts with pride, but I would rather see them bow out with grace than see them become a parody of themselves. Up the Irons.

Oh, one more thing about "album tours" like AMOLAD: I don't really have a problem with it, and when it's done well I think it's awesome. The bands that really make it work, though, are the ones who bring back an old album (like Alkaline Trio did with Goddamnit when I saw them a couple years ago) or disperse the album throughout a longer, more cohesive setlist (Sleater-Kinney included The Woods in its entirety in their setlists for over a year after it was released). So I think it was a good idea on Maiden's part, but I could have been executed a little better.

Last edited by powerslave_85; 06-07-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:28 PM
We're dying on the inside

First of all, great fucking read. Now granted it's currently 2:30 AM and I don't have quite the competence necessary to make a logical response, but here goes:

I don't think the setlist is a major issue just because the strength of Maiden's material is so great, and their touring has become so sparse lately that a lot of us huge fans haven't actually gotten the chance to see them live. Hell, I drove to fucking Toronto just to see them pull out a setlist made exclusively (Fear of the Dark I agree on, though) from the greatest metal albums of all time. Holy fuck!

I think the ball is in Maiden's court now. They've done some controversial things with touring routes, setlists, and just general business. The next album, the next tour, and the next couple years will solidify most peoples' opinion on them. But let's face it, they're Iron Fucking Maiden and they basically deserve the support of their fanbase no matter what they decide to do. Steve has made some questionable decisions and admittedly needs to get the fuck out of the DVD editing station but I can't hate this band. I can't even dislike them. Hell, I can't even get mad at them. Call it fanboyism, but they know how to make great music and I can't fault them for the little slip-ups between stellar albums. That said, glad I wasn't a Maiden fan in '90, because NPFTD probably would have made me a skeptic
Old 06-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

I have no complaints for Maiden in general just for keeping it together this far (outside of the Bruce split) and not being Metallica/Ozzy/etc. Also because they did this tour and gave the majority of their fans what they wanted- to hear these songs again.

I have to agree with Pavo on the subject of Maiden on Ozzfest, even the extra 20 minutes of deeper stuff would have made it quite a bit better.

I saw Priest and Maiden on Ozzfest those two years and Priest was the better of the two. I'll be interested to see them again this year because Maiden may have had the better show this year.

Last edited by TonyD; 06-07-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:50 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Oh, one more thing about "album tours" like AMOLAD: I don't really have a problem with it, and when it's done well I think it's awesome. The bands that really make it work, though, are the ones who bring back an old album (like Alkaline Trio did with Goddamnit when I saw them a couple years ago) or disperse the album throughout a longer, more cohesive setlist (Sleater-Kinney included The Woods in its entirety in their setlists for over a year after it was released). So I think it was a good idea on Maiden's part, but I could have been executed a little better.
Just to avoid any musical confrentations, anyone who would prefer can replace Alkaline Trio and Sleater-Kinney with Metallica, Slayer and System of a Down
Old 06-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Ermm, I was just using examples that I was the most familiar with.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Large Marge sent me.

Great essay, Neil. I will be seeing them next saturday at PNC. I am happy I will be seeing them for the 2nd time in 3 years. I last saw them at the same venue for Ozzfest 05 for the "Early Days" tour. I went to the night where Ozzy didn't get sick. I heard on the 2nd night when Ozzy did get sick that Iron Maiden was the main head liner for the main stage they did Where Eagles Dare and other good songs. Some points I would like to make though is.

1.I agree with you 100% about Fear of the Dark being on this set list because I have been saying the same exact thing since I saw it was on the set list. I love that song but it does not belong on a set list. I think they should do some some songs from Killers such as Purgatory which is one of my favorite songs by them for example.

2.Another funny thing about the the tour poster is that not only did it give us false information about doing any songs from Killers but the band didn't even bother to put "Somewhere in Time" in the setlist but "Fear of the Dark" instead? That really is a kick in the balls to a fans intelligence.

3.You don't have to agree on this but I think I know why Iron Maiden has gotten so lazy with their set list for this tour. Remember when Bruce said "Fuck America and its fat, old, self satisfied, Wal-mart loving ass."? That is true to a certain extent because the current set list was mainly compiled to please the more shall I say "casual" Iron Maiden fans as well as give the younger crowd a introduction of who Iron Maiden is. Every song on that set list is in some way a commercial hit for them except for a few songs such as Revelations, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Moonchild, The Clairvoyant, and Hallowed Be Thy Name.

4.I am going to have to disagree with you on "Heaven Can Wait" because this is the 1st time I will be seeing it played live but it would be nice if they also threw in "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" or especially "Alexander the Great (356-323 B.C.)"

5.For those who attended one of the L.A shows. Consider yourself lucky because although you had to sit though Lauren Harris. At least you guys got Anthrax and Iron Maiden. I have to sit though Lauren Harris and Trivium but I suppose it could be a lot worse.

6.It is also funny of how you talk about the old school fans almost getting a heart attack from rocking out a lot because when I saw them at Ozzfest 2005. This guy who was in the front row fell asleep during either "Run to the Hills" or "Running Free" and Bruce ripped him a new ass hole during the song.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Hearts I Rip?

Angry

If Maiden could have brought out Seventh Son for one last hurrah that would have kicked ass.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:57 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:

Josh thinks they shouldn't call it quits yet; I do. I really hate to say it, but as time goes by I can only see things getting more embarrassing, and I think one last album and a fucking enormous farewell tour would ensure that they go out with a bang and with most of their fanbase intact. They'll always have a place on my record shelf, and I still wear my Maiden shirts with pride, but I would rather see them bow out with grace than see them become a parody of themselves. Up the Irons.
Like I said, I wrote this schpiel because I "care." If I did want Maiden to breakup, I probably would have been a bit more vicious and attacked places below the belt. But no, my mindset is still to root for the home team, even in time of crisis, if for no other reason to spite Dee Snider.

Side note: I didn't mention this in the address just cos I didn't think it was relevant, but Dee said that shit back in 2003 and look what's happened to him since. He rerecorded an old album (which from what I heard from other fans was garbage), made a Christmas album, and from what I hear now he's doing country music and putting his kids on a reality show. Draw your own conclusions.

Another thing Nick mentioned that resonates with me is the fact that its not the actions in and of themselves that bother me (i.e. another slow bass intro), but the fact that they keep happening over and over again, and that more than anything makes me think Maiden is getting lazy.

Last edited by JRA; 06-08-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:03 AM
We're dying on the inside

Didn't Steve say 15 albums and that's it for Maiden anyway? Maybe that would satisfy everyone as long as the album is good and there are two tours for it: an album tour, and a farewell-type greatest hits tour that hit every concert-hosting city in the world. Then fall Maiden.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Every year seems to bring a new annoyance or frustration: ANOTHER live album?? The same setlist every night? ANOTHER song with a slow bass intro? ANOTHER DVD with seizure-inducing editing? ANOTHER tour that ignores half the US? Guys like ADD and Pavo are right: Complaining about these things is kind of dumb, and, in the end, fruitless. But when they continue year after year and tour after tour, you just start to get sick and tired of it. Getting the same thing every year is tedious, and after a while even the most ardent fanboys (like I used to be) are worn down by it.

.......I really hate to say it, but as time goes by I can only see things getting more embarrassing
The point I understand best is touring that ignores half the US, but then again, you just had a local Maiden show in Arizona... Me, I like travelling to Maiden shows. No problem.

Embarrassing? For whom? I doubt anyone in Maiden is embarrassed by the status of the band, the current tour, etc. For you?

I disagree we're getting the same thing year and year.

I want a live album from every tour. If more bands made an official boot available a la Metallica, I'd be all over it.

I wouldn't mind Iron Maiden mixing a song or two in the set. I don't buy it couldn't be done. Then again, I really don't care that much though.

The IMBB was a lot less fun a couple of years when the whole US vs Europe thing went down. A lot of us weren't exactly happy -- some way more vocal than others -- with Bruce's comments. However, Iron Maiden doesn't present annoyance / frustrations that aren't typical to a lot of bands.