High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Old 06-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Poison was the cure

Dream Theater -- Tampa, FL -- June 1st, 2008

In the Presence of Enemies Pt 1
Beyond This Life
Surrounded (with jam session leadinging into Sugar Mice)
Dark Eternal Night (with video)
Forsaken (featuring the music video)
Take the Time

----------------------
Intermissionesque video - The Dark Nintendo Night
----------------------

Encore:

Medley: Jordan Rudess ambience/Trial of Tears/Finally Free jam/One Last Time/Learning to Live jam/In the Name of God/Ocatvarium (Razor's Edge)
Old 06-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Poison was the cure

During this show, Mike Åkerfeldt of Opeth promised to get back at Dream Theater from the antics mentioned in the Opeth June 1st post.

Unfortunately it was somewhat ineventful. Åkerfeldt throw a bunch of ping pong balls at the band sometime around DT's second, third and fourth songs. A bunch of them bounced off of Portnoy's kit, one hit LaBrie in the head. After that, LaBrie returned fire and made a comment after a song along the lines of, "Come on? Ping pong balls, like that's gonna hurt us." A few more were thrown but that was it.

After the show, the members from 3 and Between the Burried and Me came out and took bows with Dream Theater. Opeth never showed.

Backstage I asked Mike Portnoy if he enjoyed the new Opeth song, "Mike Portnoy's a Bitch?" (that can be read about in the Opeth June 1st post also). Mike laughed and said, "It's great that Mike immortalized my name. I'm glad he came on tour with us, we had a lot of fun with them."

Last edited by requiem960; 06-03-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:54 PM
The Metal God

That setlist seems awfully short.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxRyaNxX View Post
That setlist seems awfully short.
Yeah, well, they turn every song into a twenty minute wankfest, so really it isn't. That's probably a two hour plus set.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Poison was the cure

Actually, it was a very short set. Dream Theater started at 10 pm on the dot and ended at 11:29. Curfew was at 11:30, so they finished right on time. Factor in the video for The Dark Nintendo Night, and Dream Theater probably clocked in about a 75 minute set. ...but they did turn Surrounded into about a 12 minute song. During Surrounded they did some jamming, played the solos from Pink Floyd's Mother, dropped it into Marillion's Sugar Mice and went back to the last piece of Surrounded. Besides of the jams in Surrounded and the Medley at the end, they did everything true to the album recordings. So, only one song (plus a medley) was turned into a so-called "wankfest."

Still a great set and a fun night.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 PM
One sexy Holy Father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Yeah, well, they turn every song into a twenty minute wankfest, so really it isn't. That's probably a two hour plus set.
They can do that because they have something called talent, and the ability to create original interesting music, unlike 90% of what you seem to listen to.

Anyway as was already said, of that setlist not much was changed from the original. Surrounded was extended, but there is no wanking, all planned changes to the songs done throughout the tour, and it is being called Surrounded '07. Jordan has a new toy out on tour that is being used to modify the intro of Trial of Tears a bit and that is really all the off-album stuff that set looks to have had.

Portnoy said pre-tour that DT's set would be 1.5 hours, so anyone getting more than what was gotten here is lucky, this was to be expected.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:06 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
They can do that because they have something called talent, and the ability to create original interesting music, unlike 90% of what you seem to listen to.
I have nothing against talent. I'm a huge prog fan, of course I appreciate talent. My problem with Dream Theater live (and not even on record, they rule on record usually) is that they can't leave well enough alone and treat every song as a chance to showcase not one, not two, but ALL of the fucking skills they possess! PLAY A SONG NOT AN ODYSSEY!

Tags
dream theater