Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991
Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 04-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

JON OLIVA - "I’m Going To Phase Out A Lot Of The SAVATAGE Standards"

Source: Brave Words

In a recent interview with BW&BK, JON OLIVA'S PAIN / SAVATAGE frontman Jon Oliva discussed the planned setlist for the upcoming tour in support of the new JOP album, Global Warning:

“I’m going to phase out a lot of the Savatage standards that people have heard me play for the last 20 years," Oliva reveals. "I’m not going to phase out the amount of Savatage material being played, but I’m going to do more obscure material and the more interesting stuff. We’re going to do ‘Chance’ in its entirety this year, for example, we’re going to do ‘Twisted Little Sister’ which I haven’t done since the early ‘80s. We’re doing ‘When The Crowds Are Gone’ this year instead of ‘Believe’. I think we’re doing six songs off the new album, a couple off the last one (Maniacal Renderings), and the rest of the set is going to be made up of obscure Savatage songs. There are songs I have to play, like ‘Hall Of The Mountain King’, but I’m going to mix it up a bit. We’re even going to do a Doctor Butcher song on stage this year.”

The Doctor Butcher song in question is 'Don't Talk To Me', featured on the band's debut.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:39 PM
In Search of Truth

I think Jon's mentality is on base, but kind of irrelevant in this scenario. The only people that are tired of those Savatage "standards" are people who:
1) Have been seeing JOP on a regular basis
or
2) Saw Savatage many times

Neither of which I, or any of my friends planning to attend this tour have done. You can say it's our fault for being young or living in the wrong location, but it's just kind of unfair.

There's both good and bad to this news either way.

Believe is about the same quality of song as When the Crowds are Gone, but Believe is a much more important song to most people, myself included, and for those who have never seen it, would much rather see that.
Chance live in it's entirety would be great, but Zak originally sang it, so I don't understand why JOP would be doing it instead of Circle II Circle. I DON'T want to hear Jon sing Zak's songs. No disrespect, but he's no Zak.
That Doctor Butcher song is a great time on CD, but something tells me I'd much rather hear something else in it's place.
The first JOP album is by far the best, the second two don't hold a candle to it, I'd much rather hear songs like "The Dark", "Guardian of Forever", and "Fly Away" than anything the new album has to offer.

You see my point, I just don't think this tour (the US tour with Circle II Circle in the fall) is the time to do this.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Red Light In My Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Chance live in it's entirety would be great, but Zak originally sang it, so I don't understand why JOP would be doing it instead of Circle II Circle. I DON'T want to hear Jon sing Zak's songs. No disrespect, but he's no Zak.

You see my point, I just don't think this tour (the US tour with Circle II Circle in the fall) is the time to do this.
Zak's joining Jon Oliva's Pain each night for a few Zak-era Savatage tunes, from what I've heard over on the ProgPower board. I'd assume Chance is one of these.