Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014
Norma Jean -- Lansing, MI -- August 11th, 2014

Old 07-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Seriously, are the studio guitar solos that hard that Dave and Adrian just can't be bothered to play them right live?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 PM
We're dying on the inside

Could be a matter of choice. A lot of bands' live versions of songs are slightly different than their studio counterparts.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Could be a matter of choice. A lot of bands' live versions of songs are slightly different than their studio counterparts.

Slightly is the key word here. Some bands will play key "popular" parts of their solos, while improvising in between. I'm ok with that, but Dave Murray doesn't do that one iota for "Hallowed."
Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

They've pretty much played Hallowed a million times over the past (more than) 25 years. I'd be surprised if Dave wanted to play the solo exactly like the studio version even after a few years. Heck, he probably does keep key parts in and improvise around them, but by now all his "key parts" were not even in the original song. Things tend to change like that. (for a more extreme example: Bob Dylan.)
Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
They've pretty much played Hallowed a million times over the past (more than) 25 years. I'd be surprised if Dave wanted to play the solo exactly like the studio version even after a few years. Heck, he probably does keep key parts in and improvise around them, but by now all his "key parts" were not even in the original song. Things tend to change like that. (for a more extreme example: Bob Dylan.)

There's a Priest quote somewhere by Glenn Tipton saying how its important to keep nuances like that the same for the fans, but I really don't want to look it up.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:46 AM
In Search of Truth

The general format for most Maiden solos is as such:

Adrian is the ONLY one who usually keeps the majority of solos in tact for more than 3 years after the album with the song has been out. He shows by far the greatest amount of live technical accuracy and consistancy. Parts are changed, but they are changed from the studio versions and then kept the same from show to show. Many of H's solos today are still very very similar to the originals from years back. Ex. "The Trooper", "The Evil That Men Do", etc.

Dave will usually play a solo very accurately for maybe a tour or two, and then it just starts to become a lot of improv, but like Adrian it shows some degree of consistancy over time. Though on the most recent tour he has shown a lot of improvement and regaining the accuracy of some of his older solos. For years Dave has been playing a live version of "The Trooper" solo that is very different from the record, yet very consistantly the same all the time.

Janick usually completely alters his solos live (arguably because he doesn't even write them in the studio, just improvises them on the recordings), and from tour to tour they will completely change. Listen to his solo on "Brave New World" on Rock in Rio and then Death on the Road to see what I mean. One melody is maintained because it's really simple and catchy, the rest is just totally altered.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:28 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
The general format for most Maiden solos is as such:

Adrian is the ONLY one who usually keeps the majority of solos in tact for more than 3 years after the album with the song has been out. He shows by far the greatest amount of live technical accuracy and consistancy. Parts are changed, but they are changed from the studio versions and then kept the same from show to show. Many of H's solos today are still very very similar to the originals from years back. Ex. "The Trooper", "The Evil That Men Do", etc.

Dave will usually play a solo very accurately for maybe a tour or two, and then it just starts to become a lot of improv, but like Adrian it shows some degree of consistancy over time. Though on the most recent tour he has shown a lot of improvement and regaining the accuracy of some of his older solos. For years Dave has been playing a live version of "The Trooper" solo that is very different from the record, yet very consistantly the same all the time.

Janick usually completely alters his solos live (arguably because he doesn't even write them in the studio, just improvises them on the recordings), and from tour to tour they will completely change. Listen to his solo on "Brave New World" on Rock in Rio and then Death on the Road to see what I mean. One melody is maintained because it's really simple and catchy, the rest is just totally altered.
i was going to say something like that but was to lazy, you hit the nail right on the head man!