Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 AM
The Cheese

IRON MAIDEN: SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME (Best of '80-'89)

http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?..._articleid=831

Sorry, I had to. I got an e-mail this morning from Iron Maiden and it mentioned the new greatest hits. Don't miss your chance to own another compilation featuring "Number of the Beast" and "Run to the Hills" !!!

Before you kill me, I am planning on going to the Ohio show, but seriously... what is the deal with these constant greatest hits releases!?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Fuck you, Rod.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Before you kill me, I am planning on going to the Ohio show, but seriously... what is the deal with these constant greatest hits releases!?
This is the deal:

In an unprecedented move to let younger fans hear, understand and appreciate the quality of these recordings EMI launch the unique SOMEWHERE BEST IN SOUND whereby the curious/adventurous can download the entire album without charge from www.ironmaiden.com as a high quality audio file (WMA) which is a typically powerful 320 kbps. Fans will then be able to listen to the entire album at their leisure three times before the download expires. The listener is then given a simple option to upgrade and purchase the album as a full traditional DRM-free download (so they can then copy or do as they like with the album).

I don't their like their choice in DRM (wma) because I'm an OS X guy that loves iTunes. That said, this is a better strategy for fan and label than forcing kids to listen to crappy myspace cuts, assuming said fans aren't into hooliganism.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
This is the deal:

In an unprecedented move to let younger fans hear, understand and appreciate the quality of these recordings EMI launch the unique SOMEWHERE BEST IN SOUND whereby the curious/adventurous can download the entire album without charge from www.ironmaiden.com as a high quality audio file (WMA) which is a typically powerful 320 kbps. Fans will then be able to listen to the entire album at their leisure three times before the download expires. The listener is then given a simple option to upgrade and purchase the album as a full traditional DRM-free download (so they can then copy or do as they like with the album).

I don't their like their choice in DRM (wma) because I'm an OS X guy that loves iTunes. That said, this is a better strategy for fan and label than forcing kids to listen to crappy myspace cuts, assuming said fans aren't into hooliganism.
I guess that's fair. Was it really necessary to create a whole "album" type of thing for it though? If anything, this is what they should've done when they played Ozzfest in 2005, because I can't imagine their headlining shows attract that many younger fans that haven't heard most of these songs already.

Also, what's with the wonky prices of Maiden albums on iTunes? I was looking the other night, and TNOTB is a great deal (like $8 or something) but albums like Powerslave were somewhere between $12-14. I thought that was a bit odd.

All said though, as soon as the tickets for Ohio go on sale, I'm buying some good ones
Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I guess that's fair. Was it really necessary to create a whole "album" type of thing for it though? If anything, this is what they should've done when they played Ozzfest in 2005, because I can't imagine their headlining shows attract that many younger fans that haven't heard most of these songs already.

Also, what's with the wonky prices of Maiden albums on iTunes? I was looking the other night, and TNOTB is a great deal (like $8 or something) but albums like Powerslave were somewhere between $12-14. I thought that was a bit odd.

All said though, as soon as the tickets for Ohio go on sale, I'm buying some good ones
Maiden had the Early Days DVD out but maybe it would have been a good idea three years ago. A lot has happened in the music business in that time. I don't think a lot of bands were doing there kinds of things three years ago.

Good point on itunes.... I don't understand the pricing overall.... FotD is priced higher than 7th Son? Powerslave should be more expensive given the emphasis of the tour.. that I can understand.

The metalsetlists maiden civil war ended a long time ago. The band is touring on a strong set list. It's a great year for Maiden fans. It's time for you to quit your bitching and start enjoying Maiden fully again.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Maiden had the Early Days DVD out but maybe it would have been a good idea three years ago. A lot has happened in the music business in that time. I don't think a lot of bands were doing there kinds of things three years ago.

Good point on itunes.... I don't understand the pricing overall.... FotD is priced higher than 7th Son? Powerslave should be more expensive given the emphasis of the tour.. that I can understand.

The metalsetlists maiden civil war ended a long time ago. The band is touring on a strong set list. It's a great year for Maiden fans. It's time for you to quit your bitching and start enjoying Maiden fully again.
Yeah, that's true. I guess I'll buy that.

I don't either. It seems like most of the albums should be $9.99 - they're not new, and they're not exactly super long. I generally don't buy albums on iTunes if they're over $9.99, unless they're long, double disc, etc. It seems like by $13, you might as well go buy the CD.

I know, the set list is very good - that's primarily why I'm buying a ticket. I also decided that I should at least see them headlining/playing their own show.

Also, I did pick up the new Live After Death DVD the other week, so
Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
In Search of Truth

The set list is good, and great to see live, but I still think they really cut corners on it... only 2 songs from SIT, and only 3 from Seventh Son, including 2 of the most played songs over the years. I wasn't expecting anything extremely rare, but come on... hows about Stranger In a Strange Land? Infinite Dreams?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's true. I guess I'll buy that.

I don't either. It seems like most of the albums should be $9.99 - they're not new, and they're not exactly super long. I generally don't buy albums on iTunes if they're over $9.99, unless they're long, double disc, etc. It seems like by $13, you might as well go buy the CD.

I know, the set list is very good - that's primarily why I'm buying a ticket. I also decided that I should at least see them headlining/playing their own show.

Also, I did pick up the new Live After Death DVD the other week, so
$9.99 is generally my max on itunes. More than that, I want the full package. $7.92 for an album is my online sweet spot.

I've really been enjoying that dvd.. well, all my maidens dvds... the flash pacing no longer bothers me even.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
$9.99 is generally my max on itunes. More than that, I want the full package. $7.92 for an album is my online sweet spot.

I've really been enjoying that dvd.. well, all my maidens dvds... the flash pacing no longer bothers me even.
Yeah, agreed.

Me too, I just watched the bonus disc the other day. I like the History of Iron Maiden stuff. I'm probably going to finally order the Death on the Road DVD too. Almost bought it at the store, but it's cheaper online.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
The metalsetlists maiden civil war ended a long time ago.
No it didn't!!

It won't be over until EvilCheese and I meet in the pit at a Maiden show and settle it once and for all.