The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Dharma Wants You

Nightmare Metal Fest -- New Port Richey, FL -- March 21st-22nd, 2008

Alright, my ears are still ringing and my I'm still dead tired but I'll try to write a good review of this weekend.

Me and the rest of the band got to Bourbon Street at around 5:00, and started loading all of our gear up onstage. During and after, we started introducing ourselves to the other bands that were there, Sacred Dawn, and Order Of Nine. REALLY great guys, it was awesome hanging out with them all weekend. After a while of everyone arriving and so on, at around 7:30 it was our time to hit the stage. We played really well, and everyone was really impressed with us, being a local band and all. I was really happy with how it went. Here's our setlist for anyone who's interested...

SHADES OF TWILIGHT

Intro: Davy Jones by Hans Zimmer
01. Zero Hour
02. Godhead
03. Let Osiris Be The Judge
04. Burn The Marionette
05. Rebel Yell ( Billy Idol cover )
06. Final Stand
07. Shades Of Twilight

After our set, we started unloading our guitars and everything and mingling with the other bands and fans. We actaully were asked to sign some stuff, and take some pictures with people, it was pretty awesome. SACRED DAWN took the stage during that time, and I was pretty busy unloading and talking to people but I still caught quite a bit of their set. They sounded great, and I wish I would've gotten to pay more attention. Unfortuneatly, I'm not familiar enough with their stuff to give you a setlist, but if you are into prog/power and these guys are ever in your area, go see them! You won't be dissapointed. ( www.myspace.com/sacreddawn )

After a short break of SACRED DAWN unloading their gear, ORDER OF NINE hit the stage. I had been looking forward to these guys since I heard their songs on myspace a few weeks ago. They also sounded really great, and I was really impressed by their performance. They're pretty heavy for power metal, but still maintain the melody that makes the genre. They actually want us to come to Pennsylvania to play 2-3 shows with them up there, so we're looking into doing that. I actually got the setlist off the stage for ORDER OF NINE, but I don't have it on me. Once I get it, I'll updated this with their setlist. (www.myspace.com/orderofnine )

While DISASTERPEACE were setting up, our bass player introduced me to Sean from Cage, and I hung out over by the merch with him and Michael. I asked them about playing "Eyes Of The Obsidian" but they said they wouldn't be doing it tonight because it's the only song in that tuning and it requires bringing an extra guitar. Incredibly nice guys, and were really cool to hang out with. But as the time drew nearer for DISASTERPEACE to come on, I went up to the floor. DISASTERPEACE were awesome. My only complaint is that almost the entire set was covers, but Wade NAILED the King Diamond songs, and Pete's guitar playing was excellent, so overall it was still very enjoyable. The originals they did sounded very promising as well, I'm really looking forward to their debut, due late '08 - early '09. Here's the DISASTERPEACE setlist. In parenthesis are the respective bands the songs were orignally done by. (www.myspace.com/disasterpeaceusa )

DISASTERPEACE

01. Judas Witch ( Original )
02. War Of The Worlds ( Crimson Glory )
03. Astronomica ( Crimson Glory )
04. Welcome Home ( King Diamond )
05. The Invisible Guests ( King Diamond )
06. Tea ( King Diamond )
07. Twilight Symphony ( King Diamond )
08. Crow ( Original )
09. At The Graves ( King Diamond )

And finally, it was time for CAGE to play. I had been waiting for this since the day I saw them announced for the festival, and I grabbed a spot right up against the stage. They were absolutely incredible. I was banging my head the entire set, and singing along at the top of my lungs. Anyone who has ever seen CAGE live I think can vouch for me that they are just fucking awesome live. Sean didn't tone down his vocals a bit, nailing all those wailing falsetto screams and the band was extremely tight as well, except Dave was having some guitar problems. He broke a string, but it got taken care of, and was really hardly noticable. I'm really happy they finally made it over to the East coast, and we got to share the stage with them. Best band of the weekend for me by far. Here's the CAGE setlist. ( www.myspace.com/cageheavymetal )

CAGE

01. Fire And Metal
02. Rise Of The Beast
03. I Am The King
04. Shoot To Kill
05. Kill The Devil
06. Hell Destroyer
07. Metal Devil
08. Chupacabra
09. Final Solution
--------------------------------
10. King Diamond
11. Wings Of Destruction

An so that concluded the first day of the festival. Got home around 3:30 and got up the next day for the Eat & Greet at 10:00. Day 2 review coming soon...
Old 03-23-2008, 10:35 AM
N00B

Fuckin rad dude Yeah Cage are really good live even if they are a completely cheesy cliche goofy band.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Dharma Wants You

Alright, day two began at 10:00, for the Eat & Greet with all the bands and fans. We met up at the Ramada Inn, right down the street from Bourbon Street, and checked in with Lance to get our passes. We scarfed down some food, and talked with some of the bands and fans. After that, at Bourbon Street it was all local bands from 12:00 to 6:00, and I was BEAT so I decided to run home and crash so I could make it back for the Nightmare bands with some energy.

I went home and crashed 'til 5:00, and got a call from Kyle saying that there was some sort of issue, and the first nightmare band SIX MINUTE CENTURY had already played. I was a little dissapointed, but I wasn't that familiar with the band so I got over it. I got there right when the next Nightmare band POWND was taking the stage. I met up with the rest of my band, and we watched the show. POWND were pretty good, heavy melodic metal. I really like the vocalist, and they were really good live. Didn't get the setlist for them thought. ( www.myspace.com/pownd )

DIMENSION were up next. It didn't take long for this prog trio to set up and get things rolling. Now, I'm not a big prog fan but these guys were prety enjoyable. I don't think I'd go out and buy an album, but they were cool to see live. The had their keyboard tracks play through the PA, which was kind of strange when there was keyboard/guitar solos. Solid performance, but wasn't really blown away. I managed to get some of their setlist, but ther was at least 2-3 more songs. ( www.myspace.com/dimensionband )

DIMENSION ( Incomplete )

- Broken Heart
- Dreams
- Forbidden Game
- Ancient Song
- Next In Line

After DIMENSION were finished, it was time for Canadian melodic thrashers WARMACHINE to take the stage. The announcer/promoter for the venue had me and the bass player come up onstage to announce WARMACHINE with her. I fucked up BIG TIME though because I said " You guys fucking ready for WARBRINGER?! Uh, I mean...WARMACHINE!!! " I felt like a complete dickhead but the band laughed, and didn't seem pissed so it's all good. They were really cool guys anyway. Probably my favorite non-headliner of the festival, they have thrashy riffs, with a lot of harmonies and great guitar leads, and higher vocals. They were incredibly tight live, and everything sounded spot on. The best moment of their set came when the Joe, their singer annouced " Thank you Nightmare Metal Fest YOU ROCK! " Then proceeded into an awesome cover of " We Rock " by Dio. Everyone come up to the stage and sang along on this one, it was excellent. I got almost all of the WARMACHINE set, should only be missing 1-2 songs. ( www.myspace.com/warmachine )

WARMACHINE ( Incomplete )

- Left For Dead
- Beginning Of The End
- Fate
- Alive
- Safe Haven
- Battle
- We Rock ( Dio cover )

I thought AVIAN were supposed to be the next band, but I guess the local hard rock band DIRTY BLACK HALO were added last minute. I thought it was pretty wierd, as did everyone else that a Guns 'N Roses type band was added to the bill, but they were fun to watch. Especially at the end of their set where they brought out two scantily clad women to dance on-stage for the rest of their show. During their last song, they invited a bunch of the women from the crowd to come up and participate. Needless to say, this brought all the men in the crowd up to the front. But like I said, as much as they didn't fit the bill, they were fun to watch. I managed to get a few songs of their set, but there's a lot missing. ( www.myspace.com/dirtyblackhalo )

DIRTY BLACK HALO

- Thanks For The Tragedy
- Sinister And Down
- Hitchhiker
- Fuselage
- Crumble
- Punk Rock Chick ( last song )

Now finally, after like 30 something hours of metal, it was time for Nightmare Records owner, and Nightmare Metal Fest brainchild Lance King's new band AVIAN to take stage. AVIAN also features Bill Hudson ( Ex-Cellador ) on guitar. They were fantastic. I'm not really familiar with them at all, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole set. I had heard earlier that the rehearsal the previous day and not went so well, but I never would've guessed. They sounded great. Two of my favorite moments of their set were when they brought Wade Black and Pete Blakk onstage for an incredible cover of The Last In Line by Dio. Wade and Lance's dueting vocals sounded excellent, and Wade added some awesome falsetto wails for instance during the " See how we SHIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!!! " After that, they continued along with more Avian material when Lance announced that it was the last song of the night, and they'd need a special guest for this one. He called out Zak Stevens, and launched into a GREAT rendition of " Hall Of The Mountain King. " Zak's voice was absolutely awesome, and from the second he stepped on-stage, he had the audience in the palm of his hand. The whole place went nuts for that one, and it was the perfect set closer. I got the actual setlist for Avian, and got it autographed by Cage, Zak and Paul from Circle II Circle, Avian, and Wade Black. ( www.myspace.com/avianband )

AVIAN

01. Ashes And Madness
02. Lost And Forsaken
03. The Fear
04. Black Masquerade
05. Bill Hudson Guitar Solo
06. Into The Other Side
07. Beyond The Hallowed Gates
08. The Last In Line ( Dio cover featuring Wade Black and Pete Blakk )
09. Single Blade Of Vengeance
10. City Of Peace ( Time & Space Part I )
11. Unlock The Mystery ( Time & Space Part II )
-----------------------------------------------
12. Queen Of The Insane
13. As The World Burns
-----------------------------------------------
14. Hall Of The Mountain King ( Savatage cover featuring Zak Stevens )

After AVIAN I proceeded to talk to Zak, and Paul about the new CIIC while they played it over the PA. They were incredibly great guys, and I got a picture with Zak. The final band of the night, X-THIRTIEN, featuring John Osbourne formerly of Dr. Butcher, began setting up the stage. They kicked into their set with a orchestral intro accompanied by John playing along on the drumsm then they launched full-force into the set. They were the heaviest band of the festival, and I actually saw some moshing during them. I'm not sure how to describe them...They are heavy, almost nu-metally at times, but were really cool nonetheless. I'd say check out thier myspace page to get a good idea of what they sound like. They did a really strange, but cool cover of " Sympathy For The Devil " by The Rolling Stones, completle with a drum/bongo solo by the drummer and singer. At the end of their set, the singer left and they brought out Zak Stevens and Chris Caffery to the stage. They proceeded to do " Taunting Cobras " and " Edge Of Thorns " of Savatage fame, then closed it up with an outstanding jam rendition of " War Pigs ". Absolutely awesome stuff, and a perfect way to end the festival. Here's the X-THIRTIEN setlist. ( www.myspace.com/xthirtien )

X-THIRTIEN

Intro: Entrance To X
01. Lost
02. The Curse
03. Freak
04. Run
05. Sympathy For The Devil ( Rolling Stones cover )
06. Time Travel
07. Graduation Day
08. With You
09. Let's Go Crazy
-------------------------------------------------------
10. Taunting Cobras
11. Edge Of Thorns
12. War Pigs

( All the encores featured Zak Stevens and Chris Caffery )

And after almost two full days of straight metal, I got home at around 3:00 am and passed out. It was a great weekend, and I really hope they do this again next year.

Picture post coming soon...

Tags
avian, cage, dimension, dirty black halo, disasterpeace, shades of twilight, warmachine, x-thirteen