Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Slayer- "Angel of Death"
I know that this may be a controversial choice because of the song's subject matter, but its musical impact on me was undeniable. Even though I listened to stuff like Megadeth and Metallica in high school, nothing prepared me for the onslaught that I recieved when I picked up this album for the first time. The horrifying lyrics and the sheer insanity and brutality of the music changed the way I looked at metal forever. Even if the lyrics are of debatable taste, the fact remains that, musically, it's metal at its finest.

Opeth- "The Leper Affinity"
My 9th grade science teacher, who also got me into Maiden and 80's punk, sent me a burned copy of Blackwater Park shortly after I graduated high school, and said it would be right up my alley. This was my first exposure to extreme metal and death metal-style vocals, and although my initial reaction was skeptical, I soon took a liking to the complex song structures and intricate guitar playing. I probably wouldn't be into metal as much as I am now without this album and this song.
I very nearly included both of these songs.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

I and my staff have always had "Soundtrack of my life" in our profiles on my sites. We only did 11 songs, so I'll think of another 9 later, but mine is:

‘Life In Black’ by Fight
‘Raven Heart’ by W.A.S.P.
‘Electric Head Pt 1: The Agony’ by White Zombie
‘Disciple’ by Slayer
‘Brutal Planet’ by Alice Cooper
‘Immune’ by The Duke
‘Don’t Wait For Me’ by Thunder
‘Soul Bleed’ by Damageplan
‘Quicksand Jesus’ by Skid Row
‘Can’t Change Me’ by Chris Cornell
‘Estranged’ by Guns N’ Roses
‘Serenity’ by Arena

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Old 03-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I and my staff have always had "Soundtrack of my life" in our profiles on my sites. We only did 11 songs, so I'll think of another 9 later, but mine is:

‘Raven Heart’ by W.A.S.P.

So THAT's where you got your name from.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
So THAT's where you got your name from.
Way to be slow, I've assumed that from almost the beginning.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Way to be slow, I've assumed that from almost the beginning.

...for not paying attention to anything WASP did after Crimson Idol that is.

Last edited by JRA; 03-15-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Right then, here's mine (no order).

Public Enemy- Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos: Being imprisoned because you don't want to fight a war, plotting and executing your escape and then going out with a bang (ready to bang out) by being rescued by your posse composed of a radical Asiatic, his militants and a nut job with a clock around his neck. That rules.

Metallica- Fight Fire With Fire: People talk a lot of shit about Metallica these days, which is understandable. But if I ever hear the words "Fight Fire With Fire sucks" I'm going to prison for "murder with a sewer cover." The first thrash song I've ever heard. Not to mention the greatest heavy metal guitar tone ever. It's not about just crunch, but there's also an atmosphere you need to invoke, which this does perfectly. A gay orgy sex video of the band could leak onto the internet and I would still never get sick of this song.

Bob Marley- Buffalo Soldier: Bob Marley was probably the first "real" artist that I got into. My dad introduced me to him. I usually paid no attention to the music he listened to but he basically made me give this a chance, and thank God for that. It's taken me many years to figure out what Bob Marley is saying in any of his songs, but the ironic musing that a kidnapped slave from Jamaica is now fighting a Civil war for his captors sure is entertaining.

Fun Fact: The "Wo-yo-yo" part has the exact same melody as the Banana Splits theme song.

Rush- One Little Victory: I know I always ejaculate over La Villa Strangiato of Finding My Way, but that was earned over many listening sessions and actually playing the songs. But before that when I first sat down at a friends computer to give Rush a try, I wasn't really sure what to expect (and some extremely gay poses of Geddy Lee I had seen in a book before didn't help). I press play on a "Track 1" and I get knocked the fuck sideways by an insane double bass beat with some snare drums in. Enter a riff sounding straight from a Motorhead album. I think "Rush plays metal? Why didn't anyone tell me this?!" Now obviosuly they don't but this track certainly sounded heavy as fuck.

Deep Purple- Child In Time: Who knew that one could turn the endeavor of rock & roll vocals on its ear with simple 3 note spurts?

Megadeth- Tornado Of Souls: The first time I heard Holy Wars, I was like "Meh, this is ok." The first time I heard Hangar 18, I was like "Meh, this is ok, but that solo is kinda long." The first time I heard this, I perked the fuck up and stood at attention. This is the exact moment when people started using the mundane term "power-thrash." Never has stuff like guitar technicalities and harmonics sounded so good. It's also a reason why whenever somebody says that Megadeth died after Peace Sells I look at them like they have penises for eyes.

Iron Maiden- The Trooper: There are many Maiden songs I love, but this is one that regular comes up in my inner jukebox. I can just be walking alot, not even having listened to Maiden, or anything for that matter during the day, and I'll just randomly start singing the intro riff...followed by the rest of the song. Also, I always get a smile on my face when guitar players who aren't necessarily into metal tell me how awesome the guitar parts on here are.

Ozzy Osbourne- Crazy Train: I was just cruising around town with my Uncle listening to some classic rock station when THIS came on. I had actually previously bought Ozzy's "The Ultimate Sin" but it didn't exactly make me a fanatic. I heard that riff and I asked my Uncle "WHO THE FUCK IS THIS?" and he replied "Ozzy." I thought he was fucking with me because of my aforementioned purchase, but nope it was Ozzy. I went out and bought Blizzard Of Ozz and it turned me into an Ozzy fanatic that would drive my parents insane (pun intended) for years.

Judas Priest- Genocide (the live version from Unleashed In The East): Reflects my hopes for humanity. Especially the ones that cause Fergie and 50 Cent albums to be in the Billboard charts for more than 2 weeks in a row. This song is proof that it doesn't take studio albums to hone your musical skill, it takes gelling as a live band as well. I must admit that I heard the live version first, but when I hearing it in the studio, there's not as much conviction. Well, and essential song parts are missing and its too slow.

James Brown- I Got You (I Feel Good): My parents tastes in music could not be more different. My Dad was into a lot of blues music, but my mom was into a bunch of 50's and 60's teenybopper music. That being said this song stuck out from her repetoire, primarily because it was so easy to sing note for note. The trumpet hook is especially fun. This was one of those songs which I had no idea who the artist was, and it wasn't till years later that I was nonchalantly doing some James Brown research, when lo-and-behold, a song from my childhood!

Helloween- Victim Of Fate: Best. Post-NWOBHM. Song. Ever.

Slayer- Chemical Warfare: Before there was Angel Of Death, there was Chemical Warfare. Actually fuck that, this song doesn't relinquish anything to anyone. This song is just a giant beast of riffage. That intro riff is literally the experience of creeping up to the top of a rollercoaster, and then when that first snare drum hits, all necks snap loose. Insanely fucking heavy. When a song was written strictly for an EP for God knows wahtever purpose and is still worshipped live to this day, you know have something special.

Van Halen- I'm The One: It doesn't say it in the history books, but I guarantee it was this song that won the approval of Van Halen by metalheads. Sure they thought the singles Ain't Talkin Bout Love and Running With The Devil were fun, but when they heard this, they would whip into a death frenzy. Also can't forget the band showing character with that vocal breakdown near the end.

Jimi Hendrix- Bold As Love: The best guitar solo there ever was before Freebird reared its head.

Lynyrd Skynyrd- Free Bird: What's cool is the guitar nuances that you heard in the beginning are trickling taste of what is to come. I hate the fact that its now a heckling term. Why should 7 minutes of the best guitar playing ever be used to give someone on stage a hard time? Mantra of the moron my ass. They should institute a "No Freebird" policy at concerts like they do with Stairway To Heaven at guitar stores.

Eric B. & Rakim- Lyrics Of Fury: Ever wonder why I make such a fuss about Rakim? It'll make perfect sense after you hear this. Hip-hop in general will too.

AC/DC- Big Balls: "Some balls are held for charity And some for fancy dress But when they're held for pleasure They're the balls that I like best, My balls are always bouncing, To the left and to the right, It's my belief that my big balls, Should be held every night... and I'm just itching to tell you about them. Oh we have such wonderful fun! Seafood cocktail, crabs, shmegma, syphillis, AIDS, genital warts..." Okay, I made that last part up.

The Who- Won't Get Fooled Again: Keith Moon has always been known as a wacky improv drummer, but here his parts managed to sound precise and mandatory, even though he probably was making them up on the spot. Its also not very often where you come across a rock song who's highlight is a lengthy keyboard break, but hey, there's a first time for everything!

Johnny Cash- (Ghost) Riders In The Sky: Another Johnny Cash song that wasn't written by Johnny Cash. Truth be told its the instrumentation of this remake that makes it so special. It also drastically expands what could have been done with country music. Cash's voice is merely a nice touch, but I wouldn't want to hear this song without it!

Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here: I've always thought of Pink Floyd as what Radiohead wish they could be. But Radiohead never sounded this good. Ironically, this is one of the few Pink Floyd songs without a guitar solo, but hey, that just proves that you don't always need one to win hearts!

Last edited by JRA; 03-15-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:

...for not paying attention to anything WASP did after Crimson Idol that is.
Denied.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Old 03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
N00B

Sweet thread, I'll try to come up with mine but it'll be really tough.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Ozzy Osbourne- Crazy Train: I was just cruising around town with my Uncle listening to some classic rock station when THIS came on. I had actually previously bought Ozzy's "The Ultimate Sin" but it didn't exactly make me a fanatic. I heard that riff and I asked my Uncle "WHO THE FUCK IS THIS?" and he replied "Ozzy." I thought he was fucking with me because of my aforementioned purchase, but nope it was Ozzy. I went out and bought Blizzard Of Ozz and it turned me into an Ozzy fanatic that would drive my parents insane (pun intended) for years.

Ugh, thats gotta be one of the most overrated songs of all time. It's got a cool intro part for sure, but after that.... which says alot about the general population's attention span.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
Ugh, thats gotta be one of the most overrated songs of all time. It's got a cool intro part for sure, but after that.... which says alot about the general population's attention span.
If it weren't for that song, I probably never would have gotten into metal, and you wouldn't be cracking up everytime you saw "Dragon" energy drink.