Old 07-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Somewhere Back In Time

Rob Zombie -- Evansville, IN -- July 18th, 2006

TOUR: Rob Zombie American Witch Tour
SUPPORT: Anthrax
VENUE: Roberts Stadium, Evansville, IN

DATE: July 18th, 2006

================================

A few days before the show, things fell into place and we decided to make the 2.5 hour trek to Evansville to catch The American Witch Tour. General admission tickets were still available (I took that as a sign) so I snagged two and the plans were made. After having seen both Rob Zombie (w/Maiden) and Anthrax (w/Priest) last year, I had a pretty good idea that this show would not disappoint.

Venue Report:
Roberts Stadium was a decent arena and the sound was fairly good. Oddly enough, security made the crowd sit on the floor before the show. We walked into the arena and down to the floor and could not figure out why everyone was sitting on the floor. Then security came up to us and told us that we had to sit down until the show started. I guess they have had problems before shows so they make everyone sit. Bizarre! Other than that, security really did not hassle anyone. I would go to another show there.

Crowd Report:
We had no idea what to expect from the crowd in this southern Indiana town (which is almost on the Kentucky border), but I have to give credit where it is due. The crowd was absolutely insane. The moshing during Anthrax was hard and heavy and the crush during Zombie was impressive. There were people crowd surfing during the entire Zombie set. There were men, women and children surfing and it was constant with as many as 3 or 4 surfing at the same time. It was pretty amazing for a fairly small crowd. One guy was carried out on a stretcher and another was literally dragged out in handcuffs!

Show Report:
Anthrax was outstanding and the current lineup seems to really be firing on all cylinders. I would recommend seeing them any chance you get. They cranked out the classics and put a lot of energy into their set. My only complaint was that they did not get more time. The crowd was not ready for their set to end. Antisocial and I Am The Law were highlights. And I caught a pick from Scott Ian.

Anthrax Set:
1. Indians
2. Got the Time
3. Caught in a Mosh
4. Antisocial
5. N.F.L.
6. A Skeleton in the Closet
7. I Am The Law
8. Bring the Noise

50min.

Vocals: Joey Belladonna
Guitar: Scott Ian
Guitar: Dan Spitz
Bass: Frank Bello
Drums: Charlie Benante

Rob Zombie and his current band are tight. I like Educated Horses and I think that the new material sounded great live. After the first song Rob announced that he was sick and I was afraid that he might cut the set short. But even though he had some throat problems, they still played a full set. It was a great show. There was a 10’ robot wandering around on stage during More Human Than Human. The video screens were constantly running and the lights were cool but not over the top.

Towards the end of the show, Rob stated that he could not think straight (because of the cold medicine) so he asked the crowd for requests. After asking the first person he said “you really want us to play Paul Stanley’s solo record?” Of course, John 5 started playing it but Rob cut him off. Then after asking a few more people he said “alright, we can play that.” They then proceeded to play about 75% of Enter Sandman. The crowd went totally nuts. Then during Thunder Kiss ’65, John 5 played a solo which ended with the band breaking into Paranoid. The crowd again went nuts but the band cut it after a few bars and finished Thunder Kiss. It was cool and the band was definitely having fun. Other highlights were Let It All Bleed Out, Foxy Foxy, and of course Super-Charger Heaven. Overall, this was an excellent show and well worth the price.

Rob Zombie Set:
1. American Witch
2. Demon Speeding
3. Living Dead Girl
4. More Human Than Human
5. Never Gonna Stop
6. House of 1000 Corpses
7. Let it all Bleed Out
8. Superbeast
9. Super-Charger Heaven
10. Foxy Foxy
11. Enter Sandman
12. Thunder Kiss ‘65

13. Devil's Rejects
14. Dragula
15. Lords of Salem

90min.

Vocals: Rob Zombie
Guitar: John 5
Bass: Piggy D
Drums: Tommy Clufetos

After the show, we went to check the merchandise and I saw a young kid in a Zombie shirt standing with his parents. The parents were fairly well dressed and looked extremely uncomfortable. I could only imagine what was going through their minds after that show! So, I thought I would just find out. I walked over to the dad and I very politely said “Sir, what did you think of tonight’s show?” (Of course, I am wearing my Maiden - Death on the Road shirt and I could see the kid’s mom looking at me like I was a freak, ha ha.) After a healthy pause the dad says “it was different.” I just had to laugh. I said “good answer – it was definitely different!” I could see the kid laughing and the dad even cracked a smile. It was too funny.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

I will listen today to both my Rob Zombie album in honor of this writeup.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:40 PM
The Cheese

Old 07-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Anthrax's non-headlining setlists have been weak lately. Good thing they had a kickass one when they opened for Dio.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Where all the white women at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD
Anthrax's non-headlining setlists have been weak lately. Good thing they had a kickass one when they opened for Dio.
Yeah that set sucks.....badly. No Among the Living????

Why play Bring the Noise?????

The Zombie set is good but he needs to play more then 15 songs
Old 07-23-2006, 05:33 PM
In Search of Truth

Yeah, what is up with that Anthrax set list? No songs off of my favorite Belladonna-era 'Thrax album, Spreading the Disease... not even the regulars like A.I.R. or Madhouse...
Old 07-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33
Yeah, what is up with that Anthrax set list? No songs off of my favorite Belladonna-era 'Thrax album, Spreading the Disease... not even the regulars like A.I.R. or Madhouse...
That album has soooooooooooo many great tunes, they need to start playing Medusa, Gung-Ho, Armed & Dangerous, and Lone Justice again
Old 07-23-2006, 05:43 PM
We're dying on the inside

The Anthrax one is weak. It's missing Only.

The Zombie one slams, but if you're gonna cover a Metallica song, cover a good one. Why didn't we get Devil's Rejects this spring?
Old 07-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden

The Zombie one slams, but if you're gonna cover a Metallica song, cover a good one.
They did
Old 07-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD
The Anthrax set may have been somewhat "cookie-cutter" but they still thrashed!

Tags
anthrax, rob zombie