Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Godflesh -- San Francisco, CA -- April 20th, 2014
Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 AM
Somewhere Back In Time

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE Drummer: Opening For IRON MAIDEN Was 'Bad'

Source: Blabbermouth

MetalSucks recently conducted an interview with BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE drummer Michael "Moose" Thomas. An excerpt from the chat follows:

MetalSucks: Do you think when you go around and tour, there's a big different between American audiences and European audiences?

Michael "Moose" Thomas: Not really, I think. If it's our own headline show, regardless of if we play in L.A. or we're playing in Japan, we have the same reaction, which is awesome. It's a really different reaction from opening for a major league band, ya know, like IRON MAIDEN which was really tough for us.

MetalSucks: What was that like opening for a band that you grew up listening to?

Moose: Definitely for the four of us it was just completely awesome. But then, I just wish… their fans would just give the support act a fighting chance, you know? As soon as we'd go up, they'd have chants, MAIDEN chants. It just sucks really, why they didn't give us a chance. We were there to support, and we were big fans anyway, so when they were chanting "MAIDEN," we wanted to see MAIDEN just as bad, you know?

MetalSucks: In a lot of ways it probably doesn't matter who is opening for MAIDEN.

Moose: It doesn't matter at all.

He says it doesn't matter who opens for Maiden, but I don't remember Dio, Motorhead, Halford, Queensryche, Rob Zombie, Mastodon, Anthrax, Testament, or COC getting booed. Heck, Fear Factory and Arch Enemy didn't even get booed. So who is this guy kidding? Himself?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:03 AM
In Search of Truth

A comment on Blabbermouth reads:

"Comparing Maiden and BFMV is like comparing apples and oranges."

to which my response is:

"Comparing Maiden and BFMV is like comparing apples and dogshit."

Last edited by Maiden33; 01-23-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:22 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

My views on one of his other comments are VERY forthcoming.

He obviously doesn't have much idea of what's going on around him.

On the above, it's as much Maiden's fault as anyone else. It's blindingly obvious whether a band is going to appeal to Maiden fans or not. But they keep booking crap bands that Maiden fans are clearly not going to like. They keep putting these bands in these situations because they're desperate to be seen to be bringing the latest young talent with them. And they keep getting it wrong.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
My views on one of his other comments are VERY forthcoming.

He obviously doesn't have much idea of what's going on around him.

On the above, it's as much Maiden's fault as anyone else. It's blindingly obvious whether a band is going to appeal to Maiden fans or not. But they keep booking crap bands that Maiden fans are clearly not going to like. They keep putting these bands in these situations because they're desperate to be seen to be bringing the latest young talent with them. And they keep getting it wrong.
Maiden do not personally pick the bands, its usually the tour promoter, they know that maiden will sell out venues, they normally put crap supporting bands at maiden shows cos they want maiden fans to buy there records/merchandise (make money for the record labels). Of course its not what fans want.

I remember on the past few tours where they've had trivium, bullet 4 my valentine and funeral for a friend (all emo/attempted metal bands), dickenson/harris always say there "chuffed to play with new bands" or bands that there kids listen too which is obviously bullshit, its just what the promoter told them to say.

i dunno why this band r complaining about supporting maiden?!?!?!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysadler2 View Post
i dunno why this band r complaining about supporting maiden?!?!?!
Well, did you read what the guy said? Imagine if your job was to go stand on stage every night in front of thousands of people who were actively hostile to you. Playing with a famous great band is an honor, sure, but not if the fans of that band have already decided they hate you before you even open your mouth.

I agree that they're a lousy choice of opener, and that the fan response is entirely predictable, and that the fault lies entirely with Maiden and their management for putting their support bands in an impossible position.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

they DO appeal to young kids, there were plenty of them at the 06 maiden concert who were obviously just there to see bfmv. i doubt half of them even stayed for the maiden show or knew who maiden was.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Great topic... it totally matters who opens for Maiden to me... for the most part, I don't want to see one of Pavo's Shitty Bands (..FYI..Bullet is not one of them...) up there... a Maiden show is the pinnacle of my concert universe... the memory of that band is likely to stick around.. I'd rather it not be of some average metalcore-emo-whatever carnie.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:07 AM
We're dying on the inside

I saw Bullet for My Valentine open for Rob Zombie on the tour they were kicked off of for bitching about Rob in the press, and this seems to be not that different. Maybe if they stopped being whiny little bitches and played with bands their fans would like to see (Trivium? Funeral for a Friend? Maybe all the shitty Maiden openers could tour together!), this kind of thing wouldn't happen and they could save themselves and the fans the trouble of going through a painfully bad emo-metalcore set.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Voodoo Child

He says it doesn't matter who opens for Maiden, but I don't remember Dio, Motorhead, Halford, Queensryche, Rob Zombie, Mastodon, Anthrax, Testament, or COC getting booed. Heck, Fear Factory and Arch Enemy didn't even get booed. So who is this guy kidding? Himself?[/quote]

I'll have to add Accept and Megadeth as two different opening acts on two different tours. The crowds went nuts for these opening acts.

Too funny on BFMV. Neither one of us could look at the band during the booing! Way too funny!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Peace on earth sells... but who's buying?

Maybe he hasn't realized that his band sucks yet.
I think BFMV would be even worse than an hour long Mudvayne set.