Despised Icon-- Worcester, MA-- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 01-24-2008, 09:13 AM
We're dying on the inside

2005: Because Why Not

This has really been an exercise in criticism for me, so bear with me, but here's these if anyone's curious:

1. Opeth- Ghost Reveries- Mikael Åkerfeldt has proven time and again that he is one of the most brilliant minds in both metal and progressive music, and Opeth’s 2005 “observation” (King Crimson reference, that) is only the latest in a long line of evidential records. The seamless blending of death metal blasting, minstrelsy prog rock, and even Maiden-esque traditional metal on Ghost Reveries borders on the impossible, but Mike & Co. never let it stray into self-indulgence or let it sound forced. Simply put, this is an incredible record with no weak points and only greatness to offer.

2. The Decemberists- Picaresque- A picaresque story is defined as fiction in which a roguish character’s often satiric episodes reflect the everyday lives of the common people. The Decemberists’ frontman Colin Meloy has certainly composed a series of songs whose lyrics are just that, and some brilliant folk music to play beneath it. While less progressively-oriented than its follow-up, The Crane Wife, the band’s 2005 full-length is anything but simplistic, and the largely acoustic arrangements complement Meloy’s oft-tortured vocal sweetly and tastefully.

3. The Red Chord- Clients- If any genre needs a swift kick in the pants from time to time, it’s death metal. Very few bands in modern death metal are doing anything that Death, Morbid Angel, and Obituary didn’t do by 1990. As such, when a young band who do have a unique take on the tried-and-true death metal formula come around, it would be a disservice to yourself not to check them out. The Red Chord blast through eleven hardcore-leaning-yet-melodic death metal songs in under forty-five minutes on Clients, and if your ass isn’t thoroughly kicked by the end of it, you probably shouldn’t be listening to death metal anyway.

4. Porcupine Tree- Deadwing- Stuck in between the delicate beauty of In Absentia and the modern classic Fear of a Blank Planet, Deadwing finds Porcupine Tree at an interesting juncture in their storied career. The songs therein are probably the heaviest songs the Tree have ever done, and Steven Wilson’s ambient influences come through on the keyboards and vocal effects on several tracks. This is a great Porcupine Tree album, and unique in that it draws its influences so equally across the board that it sounds like no other Porcupine Tree album. If you consider yourself a fan of prog rock, you would be remiss to skip this one.

5. Clutch- Robot Hive/Exodus- Straight-up, down-and-dirty rock n’ roll literally oozes from this album. The trademark Clutch combination of Neil Fallon’s whiskey-and-gravel vocal and enigmatic, intellectual lyrical bent is at its strongest on this album, and guitarist Tim Sult’s Skynyrd-on-acid playing style produces some instantly classic riffs. While not as consistent as some Clutch albums, it features a handful of the best songs the band has ever written (“The Incomparable Mr. Flannery”, “Burning Beard”, and “Mice and Gods”, in my humble opinion), and songs that go off so well live that the album will be forever remembered even as the always-prolific Clutch write their eventually inevitable hundredth album.

6. The Mars Volta- Frances the Mute- Progressive music has a tendency to be heady and intellectual, and therefore is difficult to truly “get” a prog album on first listen. The Mars Volta’s second full-length and largest dabbling in ambience and psychedelia to date is certainly no exception. The opening trio of songs are all incredible, and Cedric Bixler-Zavala’s rapidly spat English-then-Spanish-then-back-again lyrics are practically nonsensical, yet seem to fit the overstuffed jazz fusion of the album anyway. It’s quite possible that the Mars Volta are the most progressive band in music today. They use fucking South American coquìs as musical instruments (on “Miranda That Ghost Just Isn’t Holy Anymore”), for God’s sake. And closing an album with a thirty-two minute psychedelic epic that sounds like it’s going to turn into “Echoes” at any moment? I think I want to go back to 1971, this album is that good.

7. Bruce Dickinson- Tyranny of Souls- Between Maiden albums, the huddled masses have to yearn for something to hold them over, and this solid chunk of traditional heavy metal from Bruce Bruce and producer/guitarist extraordinaire Roy Z is just that something. With such straightforward heavy tracks as “Abduction” and “Soul Intruders”, the beautiful ballad “Navigate the Seas of the Sun” and quasi-epic album closer “A Tyranny of Souls”, this is certainly worth the wait from 1998’s tremendous The Chemical Wedding, and quite frankly, Maiden could stand to take a few tips from the album’s conciseness.

8. Nevermore- This Godless Endeavor- Power metal is kind of lame anymore. There’s only a handful of bands who can play unadulterated power metal and get my attention. For everybody else, you have to put some balls into your traditional metal sound if you want me to think you’re worth hearing. With their latest studio album, Nevermore have combined the right amount of balls and melody to make a worthwhile metal release. Warrel Dane’s voice never fails to be melodic, but never goes castrato on us either. This is pretty much perfect windows-down, bang-your-head metal, and anyone into that kind of thing (and really, who isn’t?) should at least check this out.

9. Coheed and Cambria- From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness- After a couple of so-so opening tracks and a flamenco-influenced intro, the opening riff of Coheed and Cambria’s “Welcome Home”---one of the best riffs ever, in my opinion---storms in and kicks all kinds of ass, leading into what remains the best Coheed song of all time. The rest of the album pummels along strongly, with moments of beauty (“Wake Up”), ridiculous catchiness (“The Suffering”), and epic bombast (“The Final Cut”) showing expertise but also tantalizing possibility for a band who had, and still have, the potential to be one of the greatest bands the rock world has ever seen.

10. Vader- The Art of War- The only reason I can’t justify putting this delicious slice of death metal higher on the list is the fact that it’s only a fourteen minute EP. That said, holy shit! Poland natives Vader are one old-school stalwart who still know how to kick ass, and unlike some of their progressively more boring brethren (Obituary, I’m looking at you), they actually sound more energetic and youthful than they did in the early days. Barnstormers like “This Is the War” and “What Colour Is Your Blood?” show that Vader are a force to be reckoned with as much now as they were in 1992.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I think this was the first year I did a top 10. I don't remember what the rest of my list was, but I know my top 3 were Sleater-Kinney, Clutch, and Opeth. Bruce's album was in there somewhere, but it wouldn't be if I did it over again. That album definitely did not age well.

EDIT: Okay, after sifting through my CDs and doing a little research, I've come to the conclusion that if re-evaluated my favorites of 2005, I probably wouldn't have a full top 10 There's a bunch of albums that I thought were great then, but that I don't listen to anymore (Alkaline Trio, Death By Stereo, System of a Down, etc.). If I had to re-do the list, this is probably what it would look like:

1. Sleater-Kinney- The Woods
2. Clutch- Robot Hive/Exodus
3. Opeth- Ghost Reveries
4. Arcade Fire- Funeral
5. Against Me!- Searching For a Former Clarity
6. Modern Life Is War- Witness
7. Bane- The Note

That's about it

Last edited by powerslave_85; 01-24-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
7. Bruce Dickinson- Tyranny of Souls- Between Maiden albums, the huddled masses have to yearn for something to hold them over, and this solid chunk of traditional heavy metal from Bruce Bruce and producer/guitarist extraordinaire Roy Z is just that something. With such straightforward heavy tracks as “Abduction” and “Soul Intruders”, the beautiful ballad “Navigate the Seas of the Sun” and quasi-epic album closer “A Tyranny of Souls”, this is certainly worth the wait from 1998’s tremendous The Chemical Wedding, and quite frankly, Maiden could stand to take a few tips from the album’s conciseness.
This album sticks out massively from almost everything else on your list.

I've said a number of times... Maiden needs to give Kevin Shirley the goddamn boot already and get Roy Z to produce the next album.
Also, I think it's odd that Bruce's vocals on that album sound better than on both Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death, perfectly prooving my point that Maiden don't put enough effort into making albums anymore. They just settle for "good enough".
Old 01-24-2008, 02:07 PM

Eh, I think his vocals on AMOLAD are just as good as they were on TOS. I agree that a lot of the singing on DOD was pretty bad, though.

Upon further evaluation, I've determined that 2005 was a terrible year for metal. I guess that's expected, though, since 2004 was amazing.

Last edited by powerslave_85; 01-24-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Eh, I think his vocals on AMOLAD are just as good as they were on TOS. I agree that a lot of the singing on DOD was pretty bad, though.

Upon further evaluation, I've determined that 2005 was a terrible year for metal. I guess that's expected, though, since 2004 was amazing.
7 of my 50 favorite albums were released in 2005.

This doesn't surprise me though, we listen to completely different styles of music aside from Maiden.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

1. Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
3. Clutch - Robot Hive/Exodus
4. Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks
5. Coheed & Cambria - IV (if you fast forward through the 4 painfully bad tracks)
6. Opeth- Ghost Reveries
7. Konono No. 1 - Congotronics
8. The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

...beyond this point, memory fails...

Any of the top 4 (at least) would've been #1 for 2007.

Last edited by zgodt; 01-26-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:09 PM
J-Priest Fa Sho

1. Matisyahu- Live At Stubb's
2. Slightly Stoopid- Closer to the Sun
3. Arch Enemy- Doomsday Machine
4. Children of Bodom- Are You Dead Yet?
5. Soldiers of Jah Army- Get Wiser
6. Judas Priest- Angel of Retribution
7. Cunninlynguists- Southernunderground
8. Bruce Dickinson- Tyranny of Souls
9. Classified- Boy-Cott-In the Industry
10. Clutch- Robot Hive / Exodus

order could change a lot, but whatever
Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
N00B

Here's my top 5 (what I have written down in a file on my laptop), 6-10 aren't really worth mentioning:

1. Municipal Waste - Hazardous Mutation
2. Toxic Holocaust - Hell On Earth
3. Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet
4. Impaled - Death After Life
5. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal

Other notables I've picked up since I wrote that list include:

Satanic Warmaster - Carelian Satanist Madness
Prurient - Black Vase
Bone Awl - Not For Our Feet (that is, the demo tape was released in 2005, but the vinyl pressing which is better was released later)
Lightning Bolt - Hypermagic Mountain
Om - Variations On a Theme
Sleater-Kinney - The Woods (grabbed this after being so enthused with the new Tegan and Sara , thanks Nick)
Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
Sleater-Kinney - The Woods (grabbed this after being so enthused with the new Tegan and Sara , thanks Nick)
Whaddya think?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:54 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Whaddya think?
Not entirely my kind of thing but I definitely think I'll listen to it again, I enjoyed it. Everything about it screamed sincerity and quality. I especially liked the lyrics on "Entertain"... "Where's the fuck you? Where's the black and blue?"