Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Sleep -- Pioneertown, CA -- August 30th, 2014

Old 01-15-2008, 03:38 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
69. Vehementer Nos - Vehementer Nos
I thought this was one of the better black metal albums I heard last year, progressive shit done right.

Quote:
67. Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
They deserve praise just for being such a unique, innovative, and forward-thinking band, the epitome of what "experimental" should mean.

Quote:
64. Candlemass - King of the Grey Islands
Ridiculously boring album, they are really treading water and that's not good when the style of your music is already fundamentally predisposed to it.

Quote:
63. Impaled Nazarene - Manifest
I dig this style a lot, good album. The more bands pick up on the Darkthrone slapstick black-'n-roll approach the better.

Quote:
62. Swallow the Sun - Hope
Agreed.

Quote:
61. Odious Mortem - Cryptic Implosion
Technical wanking sucks, and that's basically what this amounts to.

Last edited by ADD; 01-15-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:38 PM
N00B

Addi, maybe you could just quote the title of each album or something? It kind of kills the progression to have every segment of my list repeat itself.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:48 PM
N00B

Quote:

49. Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
Insane album, totally loved it and I generally am not much for this type of music. So relentlessly brutal.

Quote:
48. Earth - Hibernaculum
Yeah Hex is better overall, but this is still good. I like this new direction they've gone more than their old drone stuff.

Quote:
47. Immolation - Shadows in the Light
Utter

Quote:
46. Villains - Drenched in the Poisons
This is a great twisted little bruiser of an album, pure raging alcoholocaust metal.

Quote:
45. Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
Verisakeet is still far and away their best in my opinion, but this is also a phenomenal album. A little tough to get into at first, though I kinda like that aspect about it because its not always good to love something off the bat that you'll just end up discarding soon thereafter.

Quote:
44. Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today
This is anything but status quo for Electric Wizard man, they have never boogied like on "Dunwich" and "Torquemada 71" before. Heavy, catchy, and stoner as fuck.

Quote:
43. Witchcraft - The Alchemist
Best retro-70's classic rock throwback album I've heard yet, and their live performance definitely sky-rocketed this into the top 10 for me.

Quote:
41. Xasthur - Defective Epitaph
Xasthur-by-numbers, which means its solid. Does nothing to separate from previous album though, and I think once you've heard one you've really heard 'em all.

Last edited by ADD; 01-15-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:48 PM
N00B

Quote:
Addi, maybe you could just quote the title of each album or something? It kind of kills the progression to have every segment of my list repeat itself.
Sorry I will
Old 01-15-2008, 04:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Sorry I will
Thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
The precise spot of each album isn't so important as its general area in the list. I only had so much time and energy to devote to this stuff, and seeing as I'm on break from school and I don't have much to do, I devoted way too much to it as it is. So, way better? I don't think so, but if I gave all of those more listens maybe they would pull ahead of Ithyphallic.

That's not to say the order doesn't matter, of course. But for the bottom 50 especially, give me some flexibility
Well it was more of the way you described them that I disagreed with, I mean, at 60-50 the number doesn't weigh in so much .
Old 01-15-2008, 05:32 PM
N00B

Quote:
Yeah Hex is better overall, but this is still good. I like this new direction they've gone more than their old drone stuff.
Extra-Capsular Extraction

Desert rock fanboy
Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
N00B

Quote:
This is anything but status quo for Electric Wizard man, they have never boogied like on "Dunwich" and "Torquemada 71" before.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. It's a subtle change, but a change nonetheless. Whoops.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
N00B

Quote:
50. Forgotten Woods - Race of Cain

[
44. Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today

A fairly status-quo effort for the Wizard, with one extremely unfortunate change: the vocals. Jus Oborn’s desperate, nihilistic voice used to be a big part of Electric Wizard’s sound, but on this album he just takes a backseat, sounding lazy and weak. It really detracts from the album—at every turn you want him to just belt it out like he used to, but he never really does. Anyway, besides that you’ve still got the thick, drug-laden Sabbath grooves and Sleep drones that this band does so well, so I can’t really complain there. A couple of the tracks are weaker, namely “Torquemada 71” and “Black Magic Rituals and Perversions” (which should’ve been good but ends up being stupid, probably thanks to the cheesy voice-over for the most part), but there’s enough solid satanic stoner groove to satisfy your saturnine listening needs.

Some might say they are uncomparable, but this should in no way be in a better slot than High On Fire's new album. Death is this Communion is just caked with emotion and crushing brutality. This was actually pretty boring.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:23 PM
N00B

40-31

40. Blood Freak - Multiplex Massacre

Although very similar to Ghoul in style, this album delivers up a solid half-hour of gore-flick-inspired thrash/death/grind with some insanely catchy riffs. Most of Multiplex Massacre seriously rocks hard, but my only complaint is that some of the riffs are totally flat, and when put on top of blastbeats, they just sound stupid. The chorus in “Body By Death” is probably the best example of this. The good outweighs the bad here, though, and this is definitely work checking out if you like the style that Ghoul does. SPLATTERTHRASH!!

39. Blüdwülf - Cryptic Revelations

YES! This is old-school fucking heavy metal with a punk rock attitude and enough cheesy evilness to be an old-school black metal record. It definitely takes cues from Where Legend Began-era English Dogs, doing kind of a sloppier, cornier version of that style. The Lord Reverend Jimmi Sinn’s vocals are a bit much to take, but along with the awful lyrics (think Venom), they basically create the comical, cheesy attitude which is part of what makes this album so much fun. I saw these guys in Brooklyn back in August of 2007, and to see Blüdwülf live is to truly understand them. Jimmi Sinn has an unbelievable stage presence—he’s this huge, extremely flamboyant guy with heavy eye makeup and a giant mohawk, wearing bullet belts and a denim vest covered in old-school thrash and 80s black metal band patches. Anyway, besides having its own merits, this album has gained wider popularity due to the ever-cool Fenriz of Darkthrone including it on a list of recommendations in the CD booklet of their newest album F.O.A.D.. Cryptic Revelations rocks hard, shits all over “nowadays” metal, and doesn’t give a fuck.

38. Nunslaughter - Hex

If you’ve heard… well, really anything by Nunslaughter before, then you know what to expect. They really pride themselves on delivering “the same music you’ve enjoyed for the last two fucking decades!!”, and Hex does not disappoint. Absurdly Satanic, hilariously anti-Christian, and heavy as fuck, Nunslaughter once again serve up a blasphemous slab of Devil Metal that smashes Christ and all other assorted posers.

37. Slough Feg - Hardworlder

This is definitely a great album of retro-heavy metal, recalling early heavy/NWOBHM acts such as Manilla Road and Tank with all the power metal excesses of the former and the rock ‘n roll abandon of the latter. However, I didn’t like it quite as much as every one else seems to. I’m all about “Tiger! Tiger!” and “The Sea Wolf”, both of which are nothing short of inspiring, but the rest of the album seems to lose some of the momentum set by those tracks. The title track is great as well, and some of the other tracks such as “The Spoils” are cool, but some just don’t grab me. Still, this is probably the coolest retro-metal album of 2007, and considering that most of the members here would probably dig it, it’s a shame not more of you heard it.

36. Church Bizarre - Sinister Glorification

Church Bizarre’s brand of black metal doesn’t forget that it’s heavy fucking metal. It doesn’t hesitate to rock out or incorporate melody, and it manages to do these things pretty well. Each track on this album is intro’ed by a movie sample, which works to varying degrees. The coolest is probably the wordless Seventh Seal sample, but Donnie Darko? Seriously? Anyway, this one’s definitely worth a couple spins.

35. Bestial Mockery - Slaying the Life

Great black/thrash in the vein of Aura Noir or Impaled Nazarene—closer to black metal than to thrash, unlike, say, Toxic Holocaust. I prefer the latter’s style, but this is definitely good shit. There are some great riffs on this album.

34. Uaral - Lamentos a Poema Muerta

Hailing from Chile, Uaral have been gaining recognition as a folk-doom act with the unique aspect that their brand of folk is, well, Chilean. This makes sense in light of the fact that seemingly almost all successful folk metal acts are distinctly European (or Russian, which is close enough ). There isn’t much metal to be found on Lamentos a Poema Muerta, though—in fact there isn’t a single power chord throughout the whole thing, and the only distortion used is for overdriven guitar leads. The rest is a beautiful acoustic guitar experience heavily influenced by Chilean folk music—think of a South American-flavored version of a dark neofolk group like Empyrium or even Kveldssanger-era Ulver. The only serious criticism I can draw on this album is about the vocals. There are basically 3 vocal styles employed on this album, and while the deep, mournful singing voice and tortured black metal shrieks work wonderfully, the third is an unfortunately goofy cookie-monster death growl which absolutely does not work with the music. This voice is featured prominently through the first half of the album, and it’s a serious detriment to the music. It’s really unfortunate, because everything else about this album points it towards becoming a masterpiece of dark beauty. In any case this album will probably be getting future spins from me; look out for it in case it continues to garner popularity with the doom and folk crowds.

33. Turisas - The Varangian Way

Epic, theatrical, and bombastically overblown as ever, Turisas return with a concept album of sorts whose themes, like the new Primordial, manage to enhance the overall quality of the album beyond that of the music alone. The Varangian Way is not too much of a departure from their previous album, Battle Metal—the distinct Finnish folk/Viking sound (a la Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, etc.) and bombastic theatrics a la Bal-Sagoth are all still there, with Symphony X’s “The Odyssey” maybe creeping in at a few places. Fitting perfectly with the music, the lyrical content of this album is what really makes it such a blast, especially for a Euro-history nerd like me. As a side note, it’s definitely superior to the 2007 efforts by their genremates and fellow countrymen Moonsorrow and Ensiferum.

32. Primordial - To the Nameless Dead

Although musically speaking much of this album is just above average (with moments of outstanding quality), it being a sort of melodic black-ish folk-ish metal, the themes contained within it and how the music communicates them are what makes it great. These guys are definitely very into Europe and its history, and I’m a sucker for that sort of thing. Some of the lyrics seem timely considering the state of affairs in the world and apprehensions many have these days, with vocalist Alan Averill singing about the empires falling and “Rome” burning (“Tell me what nation on this Earth/Is not born of tragedy?”). Speaking of the vocals, they fit the music well even if Averill is not the greatest singer. His voice seems to morph slightly from song to song, covering a pretty nice range of emotions but sometimes going a bit overboard. Production’s slick, clean, modern, but not to the point of sounding sterile. The first track, “Empire Falls”, is probably the best on here. Anyway, this album is worth your time. It’ll make you think.

31. Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams

After a six-year hiatus, the Clan return with an album much more moody and melody-focused than their older, harsher material, but they still deliver their signature style of hard-hitting rhymes with an intelligent edge. The change is a welcome one, and it sets 8 Diagrams apart as a necessary release for these guys. This album isn’t perfect, though; there are some weaker tracks and perhaps a bit too much singing. Regardless, this is by all means a worthy installment in the ongoing saga of the Wu.

Last edited by overkiller; 01-15-2008 at 10:44 PM.