Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014

Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM
One sexy Holy Father.

Heh, let me tell you, I didn't even consider Gavin a great drummer, let alone an outstanding one till I saw them live. That man has groove coming out his ass, and his technique and delivery are awesome. And live you can see just how much he's actually doing. On the albums you hear but don't always notice all the little things, but live you can see just how active he often is.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Heh, let me tell you, I didn't even consider Gavin a great drummer, let alone an outstanding one till I saw them live. That man has groove coming out his ass, and his technique and delivery are awesome. And live you can see just how much he's actually doing. On the albums you hear but don't always notice all the little things, but live you can see just how active he often is.
Oh hell yeah, man. They were so good live, Gavin and Steven especially. Despite my love for Porcupine Tree I thought Three would be tough to follow, and dammit if they didn't do it tenfold.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
One sexy Holy Father.

Heh, first time I saw PT, 3 was opening, and I was quite happy with 3. Then the 2nd time I saw them was NYC back in October. Well wouldn't you know that was the only show of that leg 3 did not open. I was so pissed because we got a shitty sideproject from the bassist and drummer of Living Colour.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Heh, first time I saw PT, 3 was opening, and I was quite happy with 3. Then the 2nd time I saw them was NYC back in October. Well wouldn't you know that was the only show of that leg 3 did not open. I was so pissed because we got a shitty sideproject from the bassist and drummer of Living Colour.
I would just chant "CULT OF PERSONALITY! CULT OF PERSONALITY!" and see if they got frustrated with their attempts to be taken seriously.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Regretting my username

Swallow the Sun
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post

9. Coheed and Cambria- No World for Tomorrow- Finally! Coheed and Cambria have shed almost every drop of their poppy emo roots and replaced it with heavy progressive rock in the vein of the band they’ve always sort of sounded like, Rush. Earlier C&C albums just couldn’t have rocked this hard, and I’m anxious to see what they come up with next.
I like a lot of the new album, but then I'm not sure it's the same album you're listening to. I hear pretty much the usual amount of poppy emo influence on this record, and none of it rocks as hard as, say, "Welcome Home" or even "Everything Evil."
Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I miss old Coheed
Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
I like a lot of the new album, but then I'm not sure it's the same album you're listening to. I hear pretty much the usual amount of poppy emo influence on this record, and none of it rocks as hard as, say, "Welcome Home" or even "Everything Evil."
I guess I worded it badly: it has pop ("The Running Free", "Radio Bye-Bye"), but it's no longer emo-tinged so much as it just sounds like poppy Rush.

And yes, Welcome Home is probably their best song
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I guess I worded it badly: it has pop ("The Running Free", "Radio Bye-Bye"), but it's no longer emo-tinged so much as it just sounds like poppy Rush.

And yes, Welcome Home is probably their best song
Honestly I hear a lot more Maiden than Rush in their sound. The new album sounds more than ever like SIT/SSOASS-era Maiden to me.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
Honestly I hear a lot more Maiden than Rush in their sound. The new album sounds more than ever like SIT/SSOASS-era Maiden to me.
I think that's mostly evident in "Gravemakers & Gunslingers", but the rest of the album seems more of a Rush album. The title track is basically their Spirit of Radio and "Mother Superior" is any Rush ballad you care to call it, only better.

But we can agree to disagree since we both like the album