Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014

  #31  
Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Nick's Avatar
Nick Nick is offline
One sexy Holy Father.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Catasauqua, PA
Posts: 100
Heh, let me tell you, I didn't even consider Gavin a great drummer, let alone an outstanding one till I saw them live. That man has groove coming out his ass, and his technique and delivery are awesome. And live you can see just how much he's actually doing. On the albums you hear but don't always notice all the little things, but live you can see just how active he often is.
__________________
www.nickeh.com - Trading Site - With women, there are three things: intelligence, beauty and sanity. Pick two.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Heh, let me tell you, I didn't even consider Gavin a great drummer, let alone an outstanding one till I saw them live. That man has groove coming out his ass, and his technique and delivery are awesome. And live you can see just how much he's actually doing. On the albums you hear but don't always notice all the little things, but live you can see just how active he often is.
Oh hell yeah, man. They were so good live, Gavin and Steven especially. Despite my love for Porcupine Tree I thought Three would be tough to follow, and dammit if they didn't do it tenfold.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Nick's Avatar
Nick Nick is offline
One sexy Holy Father.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Catasauqua, PA
Posts: 100
Heh, first time I saw PT, 3 was opening, and I was quite happy with 3. Then the 2nd time I saw them was NYC back in October. Well wouldn't you know that was the only show of that leg 3 did not open. I was so pissed because we got a shitty sideproject from the bassist and drummer of Living Colour.
__________________
www.nickeh.com - Trading Site - With women, there are three things: intelligence, beauty and sanity. Pick two.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-08-2008, 03:43 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Heh, first time I saw PT, 3 was opening, and I was quite happy with 3. Then the 2nd time I saw them was NYC back in October. Well wouldn't you know that was the only show of that leg 3 did not open. I was so pissed because we got a shitty sideproject from the bassist and drummer of Living Colour.
I would just chant "CULT OF PERSONALITY! CULT OF PERSONALITY!" and see if they got frustrated with their attempts to be taken seriously.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-13-2008, 08:43 PM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
Swallow the Sun
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post

9. Coheed and Cambria- No World for Tomorrow- Finally! Coheed and Cambria have shed almost every drop of their poppy emo roots and replaced it with heavy progressive rock in the vein of the band they’ve always sort of sounded like, Rush. Earlier C&C albums just couldn’t have rocked this hard, and I’m anxious to see what they come up with next.
I like a lot of the new album, but then I'm not sure it's the same album you're listening to. I hear pretty much the usual amount of poppy emo influence on this record, and none of it rocks as hard as, say, "Welcome Home" or even "Everything Evil."
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,977
I miss old Coheed
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
I like a lot of the new album, but then I'm not sure it's the same album you're listening to. I hear pretty much the usual amount of poppy emo influence on this record, and none of it rocks as hard as, say, "Welcome Home" or even "Everything Evil."
I guess I worded it badly: it has pop ("The Running Free", "Radio Bye-Bye"), but it's no longer emo-tinged so much as it just sounds like poppy Rush.

And yes, Welcome Home is probably their best song
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I guess I worded it badly: it has pop ("The Running Free", "Radio Bye-Bye"), but it's no longer emo-tinged so much as it just sounds like poppy Rush.

And yes, Welcome Home is probably their best song
Honestly I hear a lot more Maiden than Rush in their sound. The new album sounds more than ever like SIT/SSOASS-era Maiden to me.
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
Honestly I hear a lot more Maiden than Rush in their sound. The new album sounds more than ever like SIT/SSOASS-era Maiden to me.
I think that's mostly evident in "Gravemakers & Gunslingers", but the rest of the album seems more of a Rush album. The title track is basically their Spirit of Radio and "Mother Superior" is any Rush ballad you care to call it, only better.

But we can agree to disagree since we both like the album
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008