Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014
Samhain -- Chicago, IL -- September 13th, 2014

Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Let's take a moment to appreciate the wonders of tube amplification.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 AM
In Search of Truth

I have to admit I've never been a huge fan of tube amps. I absolutely love my Line 6 because it's all digital... same exact tone anywhere, any time, any volume - no matter what.

And just out of curiosity, I own this model of guitar... if I decided to sell it, would anyone here possibly be interested?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 AM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I have to admit I've never been a huge fan of tube amps. I absolutely love my Line 6 because it's all digital... same exact tone anywhere, any time, any volume - no matter what.

I'm so sick of my Spider 3. It's the same stale, digitized, shit tone every single day. I would kill to have a good tube amp, or a professional quality digital unit like the Fractal Axe FX (though that thing costs more than most tube heads).
Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post

I'm so sick of my Spider 3. It's the same stale, digitized, shit tone every single day. I would kill to have a good tube amp, or a professional quality digital unit like the Fractal Axe FX (though that thing costs more than most tube heads).
You know you can design your own tones and save them, right? I find absolutely no shortage of versatility and quality possible with the amp.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 AM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
You know you can design your own tones and save them, right? I find absolutely no shortage of versatility and quality possible with the amp.
I know. I've had the thing for 3-4 years already. It's shit. It's versatile, in the sense that it can produce various shitty sounds, even compared to similar amps like the Peavey Vypyr, which absolutely blows the Line 6 out of the water. It just sounds fake. Nothing can compete with the rich, organic tone of a tube amp.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
I know. I've had the thing for 3-4 years already. It's shit. It's versatile, in the sense that it can produce various shitty sounds, even compared to similar amps like the Peavey Vypyr, which absolutely blows the Line 6 out of the water. It just sounds fake. Nothing can compete with the rich, organic tone of a tube amp.
Thanks. I guess I'll just disregard everything I've ever thought and ever been told about my tone and go sell my amp now, since you've just "told me how it is".

Last edited by Maiden33; 06-20-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:37 AM
welp

I'm not trying to bring you down for liking the amp or anything, but I personally hate it. I mean, whatever floats your boat, dude, but I was just giving my input on the matter.

But there is a reason why you don't see Jeff Loomis or Steve Vai playing a Spider...
Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
I'm not trying to bring you down for liking the amp or anything, but I personally hate it. I mean, whatever floats your boat, dude, but I was just giving my input on the matter.

But there is a reason why you don't see Jeff Loomis or Steve Vai playing a Spider...
I think the reason you don't see big names playing Line 6 amps is because of the fact that they can afford to play whatever they want. I don't claim that it's the best thing out there, but for what I paid for it, I think it's fairly untouchable. But if I had my own endorsement deal with the amp company of my choice and access/money to whatever gear I wanted, I really doubt I'd make the same choice. But for a relatively affordable solid state head, the versatility it provides is excellent. And I know what you mean about processed, "fake" tone, but I think if you manipulate the amp, it's capable of a lot more than that.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:07 PM
welp

Fake, lifeless, digital... I don't know how many more ways you want me to describe it. Also, the truth of the matter is that you can get better for the money, for example the Peavey Vypyr, which is pretty much the same concept, but executed much better.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Fake, lifeless, digital... I don't know how many more ways you want me to describe it. Also, the truth of the matter is that you can get better for the money, for example the Peavey Vypyr, which is pretty much the same concept, but executed much better.
I didn't want you to describe it any more. I know what you're saying and agree to a point, but I disagree with your statement that that's all that it can do, as evidenced by my own guitar sounds I designed and use.