Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014

Old 07-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Dharma Wants You

I've been trying to figure out the right fingering for the arpeggios in the intro to "The Missing Coordinates" by Scar Symmetry, does anyone have any idea what the fuck he's doing?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Master's Apprentice

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to playing guitar, currently I am self taught just wondering if someone could give me some tips or even suggest a song I can learn to play I have an acoustic for the time being any suggestions would be great.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Learn as much as you can by ear. Just looking at your post I can suggest Coil, since it's a fairly easy acoustic piece with some chords that will get your fingers into shape.
One thing I can say if you're trying to learn songs is not to get hung up on any single song, the same way you don't want to get stuck on one question in a test. If you're practicing every day, don't focus on one thing for the whole time you are practicing in a day.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 AM
The Cheese

I never did show my axes here...

I've been playing guitar on and off since the spring of 2003, when I started teaching myself guitar. I've played in a few local bands, but I haven't played a show in two and a half years now, which is depressing. Lately I've been mostly involved with music projects... Recording covers, writing instrumental pieces, playing the piano, and occasionally helping out at my friend's studio (contributing lyrics, song titles, etc. to various projects) so I haven't been playing much guitar, but it's something I've been really missing lately, and once I move and get settled down I hope to play some more.

My first guitar was just a basic Squier Strat. I still have it, and I put some Fender pickups in it that I got from a buddy's Fender Strat. It's a really noisy guitar as configured, but it's got some nice crunch for some backing. My second guitar was an Epiphone G-400 SG. Any time that I've played a show, I've played at least a song or two on my SG. It's been a great guitar. It's had some wiring issues, but other than that, I think it's a lot of quality for the price. Still one of my favorite guitars to play. My newest guitar is a Fender Deluxe Power Stratocaster... It's a beast. It's got Tex-Mex single-coil pickups, a Tex-Mex humbucker, and it's got a Fishman pickup in the bridge. It really produces some awesome acoustic sounding tones, and it sounds great in drive too. I also have Squier Affinity P-Bass. Pretty basic, but it gets the job done.

I've expiremented with a lot of brands of strings with a variety of gauges over the years, but in general, I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies (10-13-17-26-36-46) on my guitars, except for the SG, which typically has Ernie Ball Power Slinkies (11-14-18-28-38-48.)

I also have an Ibanez acoustic-electric guitar. Aside from guitars, I have a bit of other equipment. I haven't updated this list in a while, particularly with regards to software, but with my current ProTools setup I can produce some very good quality recordings. I can only record two inputs at a time, but because for most projects I generally track every instrument, it's not a problem. And I don't play drums, I use my M-Audio Axiom 25 keyboard (specifically its trigger pads) combined with Reason Drum ReFills 2.0 to produce my drums now, so the inability to have more than two inputs in my current setup is pretty okay. My friend's studio can record 16 inputs into ProTools at once, and I'm going to miss that when I move...

Equipment: http://www.twilightrequiem.com/equipment.php

The axes:

Squier:

SG:

Fender:

Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM
things are more than just what you see

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
More like clean, tight and thick.
... very nice
Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

I forgot to mention that in metal, 3/4 of your tone is your amp.
Now show em.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned Asshole

Here to revive this thread!

Here's a picture I found of the guitar I have. It's an Epiphone SG. I've been playing guitar for a little over four years.

Recently I've been getting into more complex techniques like arpeggios and mastering scales. I don't like music theory as a concept, but I know that it will definitely make me a better guitar player.

Just figured out how to play Punish and Enslave - Hammerfall. Fun song!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:04 PM
In Search of Truth

I've been spending most of today working through a dozen or so Queensryche songs - auditioning for a tribute band next Thursday. Some of their stuff = much more intricate than it sounds.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 AM
I return to the cem-e-te-ryyy

sharing

Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 AM
welp

Carvins = pure sex

My friend has one and it was probably one of the best, if not the best guitar I've ever played.