Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Chelsea Wolfe -- Cleveland, OH -- September 2nd, 2015
Deiphago -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 1st, 2015
Old Man Gloom -- Portsmouth, NH -- September 2nd, 2015
Motley Crue -- Atlanta, GA -- August 30th, 2015
Kid Rock -- Mountain View, CA -- August 30th, 2015

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

The Loser List: El Gordo's 22 Favourite Video Games

I know, I know, right now you're saying "hey fucker, finish your thrash thread!" or maybe you don't give a shit. At any rate, following you will find an eclectic mix of games from a guy who doesn't play much anymore, but is passionate with regards to gaming none the less. There will be a mix of console and PC games, with a strong emphasis on older games. Like I said, I don't play much anymore. Why 22? Why not 20 or 25? Because that's the number I landed on. These are the games I care about. These are the games that shaped my childhood and young adulthood. Read on and enjoy... or don't, and just hurl insults.

#22: Bandit Kings of Ancient China
Koei, 1990 - NES - Turn-based strategy

Weird way to start, right? This is really the only game of its type that will appear on this list and the only one that I've even remotely enjoyed, but let me tell you, my brother and I wasted HOURS on this game. We never owned it... we would walk down to Video 99 and rent it for the weekend, EVERY weekend. We didn't care that we had to start new campaigns all the time, because we really didn't know what the fuck we were doing -- we just knew we were having fun.

The depth of this game was nuts, especially when you consider that it was released in 1990. From recruiting soldiers to farming to finance, this game would serve as ground zero to an addiction that would develop much later in my life and much later in this list -- but seriously, there was a lot to take care of. Plus, you got to be guys with cool names like Tattooed Priest or Blue Face Beast.

Also, this game was boring as all hell. Monotonous as fuck. Turn after turn after turn... Horny Priest tries to recruit Shadowed Monk unsuccessfully... Killer Moustache sells lumber for 30 gold... Christ it was mesmerizing though! My brother would later get into Romance of the Three Kingdoms with one of his buddies, but I could never get into it again. I tried, but it just didn't feel right. This is the only pure strategy game you'll see on this list.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:37 PM
with his arms outstretched

Video game list!:

I'm officially putting my Wrestlemania list on hold until you're done and until this Hulk Hogan thing blows over.

I've never heard of that game. I can't imagine a Turn Based Strategy on the old NES but I'm sure it was cool. I do remember Romancing the Three Kingdoms on NES; only as one of the most expensive games I ever saw at retail: one hundred and three dollars (plus Canadian sales tax) at Toys'R'Us. I thought that if it cost that much money it must have been awesome but my dad wouldn't buy it for us. It's probably best he didn't.
10/04 -- Black Dahlia Murder
10/16 -- Negura Bunget
11/01 -- Deafheaven
Old 07-26-2015, 07:00 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Christ, you would have been disappointed after spending $103 on that shit. Also, your dad would have dropped elbows on you.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:24 PM

#21: Perfect Dark
Nintendo, 2000 - N64 - First-person shooter

Sometimes, it's more about who you're playing with than what you're actually playing. Don't get me wrong, Perfect Dark is a solid game -- built with the same engine as Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark was a fun shooter -- and for its time, quite advanced. I'll be honest though, I've never played Perfect Dark in any other mode than multiplayer.

About 10 years ago, one of my best friends was on house arrest at his parents' house. He wasn't a big gamer but his brother always was. For whatever reason, he pulled out this old N64 and this Perfect Dark game one night after we had a few beers and a few joints, and it was great. It featured the same mechanics as Goldeneye, but with different levels and different characters.

Perfect Dark turned into a ritual. We would get together, drink some beer, smoke some weed, and then try to kill each other. Could it have been any other game? Probably. But it wasn't. It was this one.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:23 PM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Christ, you would have been disappointed after spending $103 on that shit. Also, your dad would have dropped elbows on you.
Yeah, I found out years later what it was and I was so glad we didn't buy it. I don't know if I'd like that game now let alone twenty-five years ago. Still not the most expensive game I ever saw but it's a measuring stick I still use to show younger folks that while games are expensive now they're no where near as expensive as they were in the cartridge days.
10/04 -- Black Dahlia Murder
10/16 -- Negura Bunget
11/01 -- Deafheaven
Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

I remember walking into the smaller "local" game stores here like Game Factor and Game Zone, back when it was still easy to find SNES and NES games, and Megaman X2 was around $80. I don't remember how long it had been out, but I thought that price was atrocious, even as a young kid! Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout was aroud the price too, but that game sucked.

ANywho, Perfect Dark! I really have not played that game a whole lot, but really should. I downloaded it on Xbox Live Arcade but got stuck at some mission and just kinda gave up on it. Still a super fun game!

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 07-28-2015, 08:30 AM
Tell me, do you bleed? You will.

Funny, I was thinking of putting together a top 20 video game list myself. Maybe this thread will help me get it going.

Perfect Dark, pretty underrated game I say. I never did get really far in it, but I remember me and my friends playing it back when it came out.
3/31-4/1 - David Gilmour
Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 PM

#20: Journey to Silius
Sunsoft, 1990 - NES - Run and gun

This is one game I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about other than my brother. When my parents bought us our NES -- I'm thinking it must have been '91, maybe '92, they had got his game to go along with the always popular Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt combo. The game wasn't particularly difficult, nor was it particularly unique -- however, it did have cool music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Ztsa5mzA0

See?

Anyway, another thing about this game is that it was originally slated to be based on The Terminator, but lost the licensing at some point during development.

This is another one of those "memories" games though, as it really started my brother and I off on a journey into console gaming. Plus, this was the only game, in addition to Super Mario that my dad ever played. It's a trip now to think of that, him laying on the bed in his and my mum's room (no idea why, but that's where the NES originally got set up -- I think my dad was planning on practicing or something) with us and totally not being a hard-ass, trash-talking, laughing. Great times. Anyway, solid game. It didn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but it was fun.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:49 PM

So I already typed this up earlier today, but apparently it's gone. I love that shit.

#19. Tekken Tag Tournament
Namco, 2000 - PS2 - Fighting

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a fighting game guy. Did I play Street Fighter II at 3am while recording a demo with my bandmates? Of course, I did. But I was never the guy to sit there trying to learn all the special maneuvers -- until Tekken Tag came along. Timing had a lot to do with this game exploding for me -- my brother bought it not long after we got out PS2 and it instantly became a religion at our house. People would come over and immediately get involved in lengthy tournaments. Maybe it was the tag aspect, maybe it was the fact that there was no storyline so that the sole focus was beating the piss out of your opponent, but this fighting game will always stand out for me.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:53 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Wasn't T.T.T. one of the launch titles for PS2? Or at least a really early game in that consoles life? I remember seeing SO MANY ads for it and there was always a demo of it at the local vidja game store back before/when it came out and I always looked at it and thuoght (which is funny now...) "The graphics are amazing, how can they get any better? "

Don't think I ever did play it outside of the demo though.

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom