Midnight -- Toronto, Ontario -- July 12th, 2014
Satanic Warmaster -- Mexico City, Mexico -- July 5th, 2014
Dying Fetus -- Merriam, KS -- July 12th, 2014
Phobia -- Tempe, AZ -- July 11th, 2014
Collective Soul -- Woodhaven, MI -- July 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 12-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

For those who care: My musical misadventures this year.

I don't know why it took me this fucking long to discover Van Halen beyond the hits. Thank god Eddie Trunk was feeling particularly snotty one night ("I can't believe Blondie got inducted to the R&R Hall Of Fame before Van Halen did!") and decided to play 3 soul owning deep cuts in a row (Sinner's Swing!, Light Up The Sky, and In A Simple Rhyme). Unfortunately the assholes at ticketmaster decided to supercharge ticket prices for the reunion show. NO concert in my book is worth $100, much less $150. What's more absurd was the price ranges. $40-150. What the hell is ticketmaster gonna do with that extra $110? Worse is probably the fact that Van Halen came the closest they are ever gonna come to Bloomington and my laziness had to completely fuck up my expereince of seeing them. Oh Lord, when they are planning 2008 dates, please have them come to the Fieldhouse again, as I do not have a car, and my only mode of transportation is a friend's van!

But yes, Van Halen's music. Those of you kooky "alternative" types who think that Van Halen is all "Hey man that suit is you!" and less musical substance need to well, lighten up a little. Sure David Lee Roth can be obnoxious from time to time, but he's just trying to crack a smile out of you that's all. I have never hear a more consistent back catalogue of riffage, melody, and ass kickery in my life! When people think Eddie Van Halen, they don't so much think consistent songwriting as much as they did meedlee-meedlee-meedlee. So you can imagine their surprise when they hear the absolutely flawless riffage of "I'm The One" (complete with vocal bee-bop breakdown) "Romeo Delight" "Somebody Get Me A Doctor", and are subsequently sent into kill mode against Fall Out Boy and Kanye West types.

Speaking of Kanye West, why spend your hard earned money on "she ain't messin with no broke niggas" when A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and Outkast were basically putting out the same thing years ago? Albeit with much better MC skills. My expansion into Rap has taught me a thing or two about what "real street credibility" is, syncopation, and above all how I hear lyrics now. Whereas before I listened for a good melody and dissected lyrics later, now hip hop has me thinking about rhyme scheme, versatility, storytelling and concepts. There's also the fact the smooth laidback vocal deliveries (such as the likes of Q-tip, Rakim, and Snoop Dogg) make a rather nice contrast with my Rob Halfords and Kai Hansens.

On the concert front, I got to see a Led Zeppelin tribute band twice, which casts the blackest of shadows over the washed-up and unnecessary reunion. They look and sound like the real thing in its prime! "You get your money's worth the first 15 minutes, and the rest is free!" (Identify that quote, win a prize). I also got to see Slayer for the first time (well, second but I was less familiar with the catalogue), which was unfortunately kind of a dissapointment with an oddball setlist to say the least. I'm still not over hearing "Metal Storm" over the PA and them going into "Flesh Storm." I bet that looked so hilarious on paper, Kerry. I also experienced my first hip hop show with Rakim; hip-hop's golden god! (I also saw there a kid in a Blind Guardian shirt give me props for my Priest shirt ). What's funny to me is in this book of MC's I was reading they listed live performance as Rakim's one weakness. Ha! Lethal rhymes + a 10 piece backing band = I don't fucking think so!

Sometime next year I hope to get myself involved in jazz (particularly the Django Reinhardt variety) and maybe some symphony music. But aside from that, you know my Judas Priests, Billy Joels and Rakims will be soundtracking my life as I try to pull my life back together here in Bloomington! (and it probably doesn't help much that I spend so much time here. Well, maybe a little )

Until next time,

-Josh

14-7 (too annoying to put in order).

ERIC B. & RAKIM: FOLLOW THE LEADER
RUSH: GRACE UNDER PRESSURE
NAS: ILLMATIC
THE ROLLING STONES: LET IT BLEED
DIO: HOLY DIVER
JIMI HENDRIX: ARE YOU EXPERIENCED?
BEATLES: REVOLVER
DEATH: SCREAM BLOODY GORE

6. GAMMA RAY: SOMEWHERE OUT IN SPACE
5. A TRIBE CALLED QUEST: LOW END THEORY
4. JAMES BROWN: 20 ALL TIME GREATEST HITS!
3. PINK FLOYD: THE WALL
2. HELLOWEEN: KEEPER OF THE 7 KEYS
1. VAN HALEN: VAN HALEN

dissapointments:

BLACK SABBATH: ETERNAL IDOL (Tony Martin is an awesome vocalist, but Tony Iommi just doesn't sound right playing 2nd rate 80's metal)
PUBLIC ENEMY: FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET (There were 13 great tracks out of 20, but there was still a lot of skipping)
MASTODON: REMISSION (Boring, but not every band's debut is Van Halen 1)
BOB DYLAN: HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED (great lyricist my ass)

I only put one album per band as I practically bought the entire catalogues of several bands this year including Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd, so multple albums would just convolute this thing.

P.S. Thanks to es156 for being such a concert addict and giving me so many free iTunes songs!

Last edited by JRA; 12-10-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

So I take it you're talking about stuff that you discovered this year, as opposed to new albums that came out this year?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
So I take it you're talking about stuff that you discovered this year, as opposed to new albums that came out this year?
Which is why I didn't bother posting my "top ten" in your thread, out of respect.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:41 PM

Hmm. If you ask me, that's more interesting than just ranking what came out this year. I'll give it some thought and maybe I'll post my favorite discoveries too. Do you mind if I add that to this thread instead of starting a new one?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Hmm. If you ask me, that's more interesting than just ranking what came out this year. I'll give it some thought and maybe I'll post my favorite discoveries too. Do you mind if I add that to this thread instead of starting a new one?
Go right ahead. Everyone else feel free to do so too!

Last edited by JRA; 12-10-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:12 PM

Okay, here goes. Just like it's been a great year for new albums, I've also discovered a ton of amazing bands that I'd either never heard before or didn't pay much attention to before. These are my favorites:

Lemuria
Not too many great things come out of Buffalo, NY, but this band is an exception. I'm a sucker for unique and talented female vocalists, especially in punk bands, so Lemuria caught my attention right away. They have an amazing sense of melody, and Sheena's bubblegum voice fits perfectly with their pop-punk sound. The only downside is that they've release all of about 30 songs up to this point, but their first full-length is coming out next month. Plus, they're extremely DIY, which is pretty rare these days. When I ordered a hoodie from them, I got a confirmation email from the drummer and the addresses on the package were handwritten. Awwww.

Tegan & Sara
I didn't really "discover" them this year, because I'd already been listening to them for about a year, but their new album The Con is so stunning (and just might end up as a surprise entry on our year-end top 10, since it's in the top 5 of 3 different people) that it got me to go back and pay closer to their back catalogue, which is equally great. Seeing them put on an amazing live show last month certainly didn't hurt, either.

Broadway Calls
Another reason for me to believe that good pop-punk is still alive and well. Of course, when I say pop-punk, I mean stuff like Jawbreaker, Screeching Weasel, Saves the Day, and old Green Day, not Simple Plan and My Chemical Romance. They put out an outstanding debut this year that totally blew me away.

Built To Spill
I literally listened to this band for the first time about 24 hours ago, but they're just one of those bands that cause your jaw to drop the first time you hear them. I usually steer clear of indie rock, because most of it is derivative, boring shit that completely lacks anything resembling a catchy tune, but BTS are definitely an exception. If an indie band wants to get my attention, they need lots of hooks, and these guys have plenty.

Northern State
Who says girls can't rap? Okay, so their MC skills probably don't have Nas quaking in his boots, but they've got plenty of youthful exuberance to bolster their talent. If the Beastie Boys had little sisters, this is probably what they'd sound like (In fact, AdRock produced their new album). I saw them open for Tegan & Sara, and they were a LOT of fun, and I instantly became a fan.

The Weakerthans
Another one to chalk up to "indie bands that don't suck ass." I don't know why anyone would waste their time with crap like Death Cab For Cutie when bands like this make similar music that's actually awesome.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
But yes, Van Halen's music. Those of you kooky "alternative" types who think that Van Halen is all "Hey man that suit is you!" and less musical substance clearly need to back up off the old girl with acoustic guitar schtick (and wasn't that already perfected by Joni Mitchel and Joan Baez anyway?).

I can only assume that's directed at me, since I'm the only one here who ever talks about an old girl with an acoustic guitar (who just happens to be twice the guitarist that EVH ever was, but nevermind ). But I'll have you know that once upon a time I had VH1 and VH2 -- on 8 track. And some of that old stuff I still do love; e.g., Running with the Devil, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, and Dead or Alive all come to mind. But you don't have to take anything away from those albums to observe that they got rather dire after that.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post

I can only assume that's directed at me, since I'm the only one here who ever talks about an old girl with an acoustic guitar
You aren't the only one.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Cool

Less death, black, progressive, alternative, folk, ambient, post-whatever, etc. and more classic/old school, proto, NWOBHM, speed, thrash, punk, doom, sludge, stoner, rock, etc. Lots more shows, lots more writing and playing music. Discovered an uncountable amount of bands new and old. Tastes kinda shifted towards the latter group of music mentioned above. Awesome year all around.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
You aren't the only one.
Nick only talks about identical twins with acoustic and electric guitars.