Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #51  
Old 11-29-2007, 02:28 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 17,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelripper View Post
True fans who've never seen the band play would want the greatest hits.
They shouldn't do. They should want some of the classics, some of the great album tracks, some new stuff... an actual mixture from their career. Real fans don't want greatest hits sets. Whether they've seen them before or not. Chart fans want greatest hits sets. Real fans like the other songs as well, and want to hear some of those as well as the classics. If you just want the hits then I'm sorry, but you're not (yet) a true fan. You're just a fan of the hits. You're now going to get irate, I know. "How do you know I'm not a true fan!?" blah bla-blah blah. Because you just said you want the hits. Therefore you aren't because true fans like more than the hits. IF you do like more than the hits, great, and you should therefore want to hear more than the hits live, regardless of whether you've seen them before or not.

Then some of the other classics/album tracks/new songs NEXT time.

The first time I saw Maiden was on the Brave New World tour, and there was no way I wanted a greatest hits set. There are more great songs in the Maiden catalogue than just the hits and I wanted a mixture of all of them, which is what we got with stuff like Sign of The Cross and Clansman on that tour. We got Children of the Damned too because it was one of the first Clive Burr tribute shows.

I mean if you want the hits the first time you see them, what of the next time? You want everything else? That's not going to happen. You want the hits again? That's pointless. Or you want a mixture? Well why not a mixture every time? Then next time you can look forward to seeing different stuff to last time.

Maiden can't approach every tour expecting fans to be seeing them for the first time and playing the hits for them. That would be stupid on every level.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
  #52  
Old 11-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTwilight View Post
This makes no sense... how could you say a true maiden fan would NOT want specific songs, yet you don't have a problem with them playing an entire album track by track? I don't think you can get any more specific than that... I only used Sign of the Cross as a random good non-hit maiden track, but it could be anything

...

yeah you get the point. A true iron maiden fan would prefer any of these songs over any song off AMOLAD. I don't hear any fans complaining about playing Look for the Truth at every concert, right? ugh people.
So many things wrong with this I'm hesitant to start making comments. You're just missing the point.
  #53  
Old 11-29-2007, 05:44 AM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
so you're saying a true Maiden fan is one that doesn't like AMOLAD? That's ridiculous.

I don't think the real fans do want specific songs. And you're saying wanting AMOLAD is being specific AFTER the event. Before that tour Maiden fans weren't sitting around saying "this tour will only be any good if they play the entire album". They weren't being specific about it before the tour. A real Maiden fan doesn't go to a tour thinking "this is only going to be good if they play X, Y and Z". A real fan goes because they like (almost) all of the songs and wants to hear some different ones to the last time they saw them. Obviously everyone has their favourites that they'd rather hear over some others, given the choice, but it's not a criteria for a good show, so long as it's not the same old stuff as last time.

That's how all the real fans will have approached the AMOLAD tour. And they got what they wanted. A different set to normal. Might not be what they were expecting, but it was different and they got some good songs. All the real fans say it was a great tour (apart from the ones who don't like that album, which is fine, since you don't have to love every note a band plays to be a real fan).

People say it was a mistake to alienate fans in that way, but I think the only ones they were alienating were the fair-weather fans who want the hits, and the ones who don't rate that album. But we all knew they would be playing the whole album before the tour started, because they said so, so anyone who didn't rate the album shouldn't have gone. If they went anyway it was their mistake, not Maiden's.
I don't think you and I could agree more on this subject.
  #54  
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 AM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,966
If we're going to start talking about "true" fans and whatnot, this is going to get really stupid, really fast.
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
  #55  
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 AM
DarkTwilight DarkTwilight is offline
Defender of the Faith
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Springfield PA
Posts: 90
Yeah, this is supposed to be about Judas Priest. I mean, I've been listening to Iron Maiden for such a long time now, and I would just prefer to hear songs I've either never heard or heard once or twice live. Now some of these songs I've been familiar with longer than others... I don't care if its a hit or not. I couldn't tell you how many times I've listened to Alexander the Great in the car driving on the highway over the years, or listened to Look for the Truth whenever I felt stressed out over the years, ect.... you get the point, all these songs just have such an impact on me, and I've been listening to them so long they have became a part of me, so yes, I would prefer to hear Gangland over anything off AMOLAD, not because its a hit, just because its an older track. And I'm not saying Iron Maiden should be just a nostalgia act, I love the new CD, and the longer they make new material, the better, but I don't think you should put 110% of the focus on new material. I'm not going to post any more on this topic unless something intelligent comes up because this is obviously going nowhere, because everyone wants to be a prick pointing fingers "your not a true fan im a true fan blah blah blah" and all this other bullshit.
  #56  
Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
sylpriest's Avatar
sylpriest sylpriest is offline
Where all the white women at?
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,055
Priest live is a great thing.

HALFORD needs to tour though.
__________________
Fight Fair...
  #57  
Old 11-29-2007, 06:12 PM
TonyD's Avatar
TonyD TonyD is offline
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 6,202
I like how this has become another AMOLAD tour discussion
They did say that they would be playing the whole album live at some point, but Glen and Rob have both said on seperate occasions that they would be pulling out some B-side material that hasnt been played for a while/hasnt been played ever for this tour
__________________
8/24 NIN/Soundgarden
11/16 Judas Priest
  #58  
Old 11-29-2007, 09:13 PM
DarkTwilight DarkTwilight is offline
Defender of the Faith
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Springfield PA
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I like how this has become another AMOLAD tour discussion
They did say that they would be playing the whole album live at some point, but Glen and Rob have both said on seperate occasions that they would be pulling out some B-side material that hasnt been played for a while/hasnt been played ever for this tour
Thats what I like to hear. Hearing a new album in its entirety is a good thing, but B-side material is even better... that is, if your a true fan
  #59  
Old 11-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Maiden33's Avatar
Maiden33 Maiden33 is offline
In Search of Truth
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTwilight View Post
Yeah, this is supposed to be about Judas Priest. I mean, I've been listening to Iron Maiden for such a long time now, and I would just prefer to hear songs I've either never heard or heard once or twice live. Now some of these songs I've been familiar with longer than others... I don't care if its a hit or not. I couldn't tell you how many times I've listened to Alexander the Great in the car driving on the highway over the years, or listened to Look for the Truth whenever I felt stressed out over the years, ect.... you get the point, all these songs just have such an impact on me, and I've been listening to them so long they have became a part of me, so yes, I would prefer to hear Gangland over anything off AMOLAD, not because its a hit, just because its an older track. And I'm not saying Iron Maiden should be just a nostalgia act, I love the new CD, and the longer they make new material, the better, but I don't think you should put 110% of the focus on new material. I'm not going to post any more on this topic unless something intelligent comes up because this is obviously going nowhere, because everyone wants to be a prick pointing fingers "your not a true fan im a true fan blah blah blah" and all this other bullshit.
Way to attempt to change the subject because you know you're being beaten.
  #60  
Old 12-01-2007, 12:23 PM
DarkTwilight DarkTwilight is offline
Defender of the Faith
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Springfield PA
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Way to attempt to change the subject because you know you're being beaten.
What the hell... I'm not trying to change the subject... I'm still arguing the same point, im not changing my mind or anything here... and know I'm being beaten? I know everyones being a dumb dick, but I'm not changing my stance on the subject? Whatever.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008