Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I wouldn't because I've seen them do that one before, so I want something different.

TRUE fans don't want any specific songs. They just want DIFFERENT songs, not the same greatest hits set over and over again.

If I went to a Maiden show and they didn't play NOTB, Hallowed, Trooper, Iron Maiden, RTTH, Sanctuary, Icarus, Eagles Dare, FOTD, 2 Minutes, Evil That Me Do, Madness or Wrathchild I'd go home happy.

Virus, Moonchild, Madagascar, Fear Is The Key, Stranger In A Strange Land, Caught Somewhere In Time etc, etc would be much more interesting.

Except for the fact that Icarus hasn't been played in over 20 years. And since when is there a Maiden song called Madagascar.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Damn, well that completely invalidates my point then

I meant Montesgur - this is what happens when you're shopping for family members for Christmas while talking on metal forums

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Hearts I Rip?

Exclamation

As a fan who's never seen Iron Maiden play live, I'd kill for them to play the hits. I mean, what would be more awesome, seeing the whole arena go nuts for The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Hallowed, or seeing only maybe half of the crowd enjoy the new stuff?

If I get to see them, I want them to play the classics with a few of the new stuff thrown in. Not that the new stuff is awful, but it's that the old stuff is immortal and great and what made the band famous.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Hearts I Rip?

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I wouldn't because I've seen them do that one before, so I want something different.

TRUE fans don't want any specific songs. They just want DIFFERENT songs, not the same greatest hits set over and over again.

If I went to a Maiden show and they didn't play NOTB, Hallowed, Trooper, Iron Maiden, RTTH, Sanctuary, Icarus, Eagles Dare, FOTD, 2 Minutes, Evil That Me Do, Madness or Wrathchild I'd go home happy.

Virus, Moonchild, Madagascar, Fear Is The Key, Stranger In A Strange Land, Caught Somewhere In Time etc, etc would be much more interesting.
True fans who've never seen the band play would want the greatest hits.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:44 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelripper View Post
True fans who've never seen the band play would want the greatest hits.
Yes. Like me. Fortunately, this tour is essentially a compilation of all of their great albums with none of their or shitty ones.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:48 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Yes. Like me. Fortunately, this tour is essentially a compilation of all of their great albums with none of their or shitty ones.
Every Maiden tour is like that.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:10 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelripper View Post
I mean, what would be more awesome, seeing the whole arena go nuts for The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Hallowed, or seeing only maybe half of the crowd enjoy the new stuff?
That kind of misses my point. My point isn't that Maiden should play as much new stuff as possible, but that they should play as much different stuff as possible. But in general, any set Maiden can throw at that DOESN'T feature the same generic stuff is a good set IMO, even if it's weaker songs, as long as it shows variation I'm cool with it.

And I've only seen Maiden twice with a third on the way. But after seeing dozens more of live shows on official and bootleg DVDs, I feel I definately subscribe more to the opinion of older fans who are tired of hearing the same old stuff at this point.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Defender of the Faith

This makes no sense... how could you say a true maiden fan would NOT want specific songs, yet you don't have a problem with them playing an entire album track by track? I don't think you can get any more specific than that... I only used Sign of the Cross as a random good non-hit maiden track, but it could be anything

Prowler
Remember Tomorrow
Charlotte the Harlot
Purgatory
Gangland
To Tame a Land
The Duelists
Deja Vu
Alexander the Great
Only the Good Die Young
No Prayer for the Dying
Judas Be my Guide
Sign of the Cross
Lord of the Flies
Look for the Truth
The Aftermath
Blood on the Worlds Hand
The Edge of Darkness

yeah you get the point. A true iron maiden fan would prefer any of these songs over any song off AMOLAD. I don't hear any fans complaining about playing Look for the Truth at every concert, right? ugh people.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTwilight View Post
A true iron maiden fan would prefer any of these songs over any song off AMOLAD
so you're saying a true Maiden fan is one that doesn't like AMOLAD? That's ridiculous.

I don't think the real fans do want specific songs. And you're saying wanting AMOLAD is being specific AFTER the event. Before that tour Maiden fans weren't sitting around saying "this tour will only be any good if they play the entire album". They weren't being specific about it before the tour. A real Maiden fan doesn't go to a tour thinking "this is only going to be good if they play X, Y and Z". A real fan goes because they like (almost) all of the songs and wants to hear some different ones to the last time they saw them. Obviously everyone has their favourites that they'd rather hear over some others, given the choice, but it's not a criteria for a good show, so long as it's not the same old stuff as last time.

That's how all the real fans will have approached the AMOLAD tour. And they got what they wanted. A different set to normal. Might not be what they were expecting, but it was different and they got some good songs. All the real fans say it was a great tour (apart from the ones who don't like that album, which is fine, since you don't have to love every note a band plays to be a real fan).

People say it was a mistake to alienate fans in that way, but I think the only ones they were alienating were the fair-weather fans who want the hits, and the ones who don't rate that album. But we all knew they would be playing the whole album before the tour started, because they said so, so anyone who didn't rate the album shouldn't have gone. If they went anyway it was their mistake, not Maiden's.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull

Last edited by ravenheart; 11-29-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTwilight View Post
Prowler
Remember Tomorrow
Charlotte the Harlot
Purgatory
Gangland
To Tame a Land
The Duelists
Deja Vu
Alexander the Great
Only the Good Die Young
No Prayer for the Dying
Judas Be my Guide
Sign of the Cross
Lord of the Flies
Look for the Truth
The Aftermath
Blood on the Worlds Hand
The Edge of Darkness
Incidentally, why have you picked so many sub-par songs? Gangland? You are kidding, right? Even Steve Harris says that song sucks, and you don't get many bigger Maiden fans than him!

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Closed Thread