Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Defender of the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post

Maiden's decision to play AMOLAD was one of the finest moments in their recent history. The album wasn't amazing, but it shows that that Maiden aren't actually afraid to take chances. It was a killer show either way, and fuck the "fans" who only want to hear the hits.
OK so the definition of a "fan" is someone who would rather hear new material that they may have only had time to hear a few times? That makes NO fucking sense. Thats true they don't have to play the hits, but there is PLENTY of non-hit material out there by both Maiden and Priest. A TRUE Iron Maiden fan would have prefered to hear Sign of the Cross over ANY song off AMOLAD. Sure they could have done a setlist that invovled many songs from the new CD, but the whole thing? That wasn't necessary. Is it about having balls? Or is it about playing a good show? If Maiden came out and played the NOTB intro but before the guitar came in, Bruce comes out and goes FUCK YOU ALL! WE FUCKING HATE YOU! GO HOME AND DIE MOTHERFUCKERS! Yeah, that would take balls. I guess you and all the "true" Iron Maiden fans would be like YEAH MAIDEN ROCK THEY DID SOMETHING THAT TOOK BALLS HES RIGHT WE SUCK WOOHOO.

Oh well. The way I see it, the ozzfest/AMOLAD maiden shows were only the warmup for this upcoming powerslave tour. although the ozzfest one had a nice set. already got my tickets
Old 11-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Satan's work is done!

I'm gonna have to disagree. AMOLAD was an awesome album, and I have absolutely not problem with them playing it in it's entirety. I don't think a "true fan" has to want them to play a bunch of their older songs on a tour in support of their new album, especially when it was as good as this one.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Defender of the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree. AMOLAD was an awesome album, and I have absolutely not problem with them playing it in it's entirety. I don't think a "true fan" has to want them to play a bunch of their older songs on a tour in support of their new album, especially when it was as good as this one.
Sure the new album can be good, but when they only play a new album then its almost like seeing a new band-the band can be a classic, but new music is NOT a classic. And with a name like Iron Maiden, you would expect an experience that fit a CLASSIC band? So what the hells the point of only playing the new album... a TRUE fan would appreciate it, but it would have to be pretty damn amazing to completely shit on everything else. And most people are there for "everything else". So just do what every other band does. mix it up some. like every other song could have been from the new album... just play something else in between. so you get a full length maiden concert, and you hear the whole new album? It was only 10 00 when they finished in philly, they had time to do 20 songs, when they only played 15. 5 old, 10 new. So do 10 old and 10 new. That would be fine. I would say two songs on a new bands album is worth like, 1 song on an old album. So 10 new is like 5, and five and ten makes 15, and thats how many songs you need for a full set usually. So whats the deal? getting stuck with 12.5...

p.s. im pretty fucked up idk if that just made sense or not

: blaze:
Old 11-28-2007, 06:12 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTwilight View Post
OK so the definition of a "fan" is someone who would rather hear new material that they may have only had time to hear a few times? That makes NO fucking sense. Thats true they don't have to play the hits, but there is PLENTY of non-hit material out there by both Maiden and Priest. A TRUE Iron Maiden fan would have prefered to hear Sign of the Cross over ANY song off AMOLAD. Sure they could have done a setlist that invovled many songs from the new CD, but the whole thing? That wasn't necessary. Is it about having balls? Or is it about playing a good show? If Maiden came out and played the NOTB intro but before the guitar came in, Bruce comes out and goes FUCK YOU ALL! WE FUCKING HATE YOU! GO HOME AND DIE MOTHERFUCKERS! Yeah, that would take balls. I guess you and all the "true" Iron Maiden fans would be like YEAH MAIDEN ROCK THEY DID SOMETHING THAT TOOK BALLS HES RIGHT WE SUCK WOOHOO.

Oh well. The way I see it, the ozzfest/AMOLAD maiden shows were only the warmup for this upcoming powerslave tour. although the ozzfest one had a nice set. already got my tickets
The "fans" comment was targetting the infidels who come to see Maiden just to see shit like Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills. I'm not saying you have to want to hear the whole new album live to be a true fan, but I'm targetting those stupid fucks out there who think Maiden's "good career" ended in the late 80s, who come to see them just to see the hits and dare to sit down during newer material. Myself (and many of my friends and fellow Maiden fans) support just about all Maiden, sure we love some a lot more than others, but have a genuine interest in everything they've done. I wouldn't have cared if Maiden didn't do all of AMOLAD live IF they had substituted with a worthwhile, balanced set list, which I'm positive they wouldn't have. That's why I supported this tour so much, cause it was one of the only chances I'd ever get to see Maiden live where they didn't just play a silly over formulated set filled with about 8 "obligatory" songs, 5 new songs, and a couple other standards. They're my favorite band and have a catalogue of about 130-some studio album tracks, I don't want to keep seeing the same 16 over and over again.
Furthermore, playing an entire new album live was a great way for Maiden to drive the point home that they ARE a current band. Sure they have an extensive back catalogue, but Maiden is the kind of band that writes and records a new album for the sake of doing a new album, not so they can just release a boring piece of crap and go out and tour just as an excuse to play the hits.

Last edited by Maiden33; 11-28-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
A TRUE Iron Maiden fan would have prefered to hear Sign of the Cross over ANY song off AMOLAD.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
That doesn't mean Ripper is any better. Just that the music at the time was heavier... throw Halford in the heavy mix and you can't go wrong there.
I think you can. Ripper is better. Compared to Halford of old, maybe not. But Halford now Ripper is better. I would much rather Ripper were still in Priest and Rob were doing his solo stuff, which slays.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Defender of the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by es156 View Post
Really, think about it. What's the best song off AMOLAD? Maybe the Legacy? Or TROBB? Personally I pick Lord of Light... all amazing songs, but Sign of the Cross blows them all out of the water.

And Maiden33, I do agree with this, that a true Iron Maiden fan could appreciate new material, but a true Iron Maiden fan would prefer good material that hasn't been played at all or not in a while... I think its easier to say a true fan would prefer Alexander the Great over any song off AMOLAD, rather than sign of the cross, correct?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
A TRUE Iron Maiden fan would have prefered to hear Sign of the Cross over ANY song off AMOLAD
I wouldn't because I've seen them do that one before, so I want something different.

TRUE fans don't want any specific songs. They just want DIFFERENT songs, not the same greatest hits set over and over again.

If I went to a Maiden show and they didn't play NOTB, Hallowed, Trooper, Iron Maiden, RTTH, Sanctuary, Icarus, Eagles Dare, FOTD, 2 Minutes, Evil That Me Do, Madness or Wrathchild I'd go home happy.

Virus, Moonchild, Madagascar, Fear Is The Key, Stranger In A Strange Land, Caught Somewhere In Time etc, etc would be much more interesting.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Last edited by ravenheart; 11-28-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:22 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
The "fans" comment was targetting the infidels who come to see Maiden just to see shit like Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills. I'm not saying you have to want to hear the whole new album live to be a true fan, but I'm targetting those stupid fucks out there who think Maiden's "good career" ended in the late 80s, who come to see them just to see the hits and dare to sit down during newer material. Myself (and many of my friends and fellow Maiden fans) support just about all Maiden, sure we love some a lot more than others, but have a genuine interest in everything they've done. I wouldn't have cared if Maiden didn't do all of AMOLAD live IF they had substituted with a worthwhile, balanced set list, which I'm positive they wouldn't have. That's why I supported this tour so much, cause it was one of the only chances I'd ever get to see Maiden live where they didn't just play a silly over formulated set filled with about 8 "obligatory" songs, 5 new songs, and a couple other standards. They're my favorite band and have a catalogue of about 130-some studio album tracks, I don't want to keep seeing the same 16 over and over again.
Furthermore, playing an entire new album live was a great way for Maiden to drive the point home that they ARE a current band. Sure they have an extensive back catalogue, but Maiden is the kind of band that writes and records a new album for the sake of doing a new album, not so they can just release a boring piece of crap and go out and tour just as an excuse to play the hits.
I disagree with you a lot, but right now I gotta give you a big ol'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post

If I went to a Maiden show and they didn't play NOTB, Hallowed, Trooper, Iron Maiden, RTTH, Sanctuary, Icarus, Eagles Dare, FOTD, 2 Minutes, Evil That Me Do, Madness or Wrathchild I'd go home happy.
I don't know about the rest of the list, but I'd fucking LOVE it if they played those two.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:51 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I wouldn't because I've seen them do that one before, so I want something different.

TRUE fans don't want any specific songs. They just want DIFFERENT songs, not the same greatest hits set over and over again.

If I went to a Maiden show and they didn't play NOTB, Hallowed, Trooper, Iron Maiden, RTTH, Sanctuary, FOTD, 2 Minutes, Evil That Me Do, Madness or Wrathchild I'd go home happy.
I Couldn't agree more. Thanks for saying that.
Closed Thread