Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Old 11-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Regretting my username

This past weekend...

Got back from the Junior Statesmen of America Fall State Convention earlier today. It is basically a gathering ofdifferent chapters (groups) of high school students from the Ohio River Valley (mostly all of Ohio, some of Indiana, some Kentucky, some Tennessee). There are 9 blocks, or rounds (6 Saturday, 3 Sunday) and then 5 or 6 different debates within each room. It was an excellent oppurtunity to express my own opinions, meet people that have similar opinions, debate intelligently with people who have differing opinions, and laugh at all the nutcases in between.

The debates basically were either an open room discussion, or an actual Congress-style debate with time restraints, pro/con subsequent speakers, motions, etc.

I got a chance to debate whether the victory in the War on Terror was attainable (I said no), whether pro-anorexia websites should be shut down (no), whether the US should forcefully shut down Iran's nuclear program (no), whether the US should boycott the Olympics to protest Chinese human rights abuse (no), whether the US should halt its use of extraordinary rendition (yes), whether marijuana, in all forms, should be legalized (yes), whether the assasination of a dictator may be justified (yes if by own people, no if by foreign nation), and whether the legal institution of marriage be entirely replaced by a supersized version of civil unions (yes).

It was really fun and enlightening. I dont know why I am sharing this with you all (you probably dont care), but i want to point out that I got booed during one of my speeches. During the format called "Speed Chess", where you make a point and hit the gavel, then your opponent replies and hits his gavel, this really hardcore Christian kid was saying that by civil unions and marriage were seperate but equal, but I quoted Ayn Rands philosophy against collectivism, and said that his (and the anti-gay marriage lobby) were looking at people in groups (gay/straight) instead of individuals, and that by designating seperate institutions of union (marriage/CU), they were basically saying that gays were inferior to straights and did not deserve the same rights as them. He said that large portion of Americans were against gay marriage and that our leaders in Washington did not have to cater to the minority (gays). To which I replied "Our leaders may be theocratic fascists, but that doesnt mean we have to believe everything that they say." They didnt like that too much
Old 11-12-2007, 06:18 AM
N00B

"Separate but equal," where have we heard that before?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

It's pretty disgusting when people who claim to be religious focus more on the banishment of other types of people than the whole message of "love thy neighbor" "treat others as you wish to be treated" etc. What's even more troubling is when the same people will put a politician on the same level as their messiah just as long as he says "god" every once in awhile.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
It's pretty disgusting when people claim to be religious
I agree.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 11-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
"Separate but equal," where have we heard that before?
Exactly. Basically, saying that gays and straights are equal but deserve different institutions of unity, is the same as saying that blacks and whites are equal, but deserve segregated eating establishments and schools.

When my side brought up that Brown V. BOE got rid of that theory of seperate but equal, and the other side said that only applied to civil rights and education.

I also failed to mention that whilst I was debating this hardcore Christian kid (before my theocratic fascist line), he offered perhaps the most bass ackward train of thought. Well, yah see, Christians believe that gays do not deserve to get married. But if they government lets gays get married, they are disagreeing with the Christians, therefore, stepping upon their first amendment right of freedom of religion! He then proceeded to tell me to 'read the Constitution.' My rebuttal consisted of me telling HIM to read the Constitution, and realize that they same amendment he claims protects him, also prohibits government from respecting an establishment, and that government should not cater to the religous right.

He didnt like that.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post

I also failed to mention that whilst I was debating this hardcore Christian kid (before my theocratic fascist line), he offered perhaps the most bass ackward train of thought. Well, yah see, Christians believe that gays do not deserve to get married. But if they government lets gays get married, they are disagreeing with the Christians, therefore, stepping upon their first amendment right of freedom of religion! He then proceeded to tell me to 'read the Constitution.'
I think he might want to get his brain checked for crabs.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
The Cheese

Ugh that kid you speak of makes me scared for our future, if only because I know there are so many others like him out there.

As for your actual stances, I would've been on your side for all of them except for China. I think in general American's attitude to China is very hypocritical in context to how we would treat other non-Chinese nations doing what China does. Although I do realize that China is quite a powerful nation. I do suspect a lot of Americans do not realize this though...
Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

China could kick our ass, economically.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:13 PM
MY LEG!!

………………………………………………………………………………………………
………………….._,,-~’’’ŻŻŻ’’~-,,…………………………………………………………
………………..,-‘’ ; ; ;_,,---,,_ ; ;’’-,…………………………….._,,,---,,_………………
……………….,’ ; ; ;,-‘ , , , , , ‘-, ; ;’-,,,,---~~’’’’’’~--,,,_…..,,-~’’ ; ; ; ;__;’-,……………
……………….| ; ; ;,’ , , , _,,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Ż’’~’-,,_ ,,-~’’ , , ‘, ;’, …………
……………….’, ; ; ‘-, ,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-, , , , , ,’ ; |…………
…………………’, ; ;,’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-, , ,-‘ ;,-‘…………
………………….,’-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-‘ ;,,-‘…………..
………………..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;__ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,’……………..
………………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’Ż: : ’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _ ; ; ; ; ;’,……………..
……………..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;| : : : : : :| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’Ż: Ż’’-, ; ; ;’,…………….
…………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,_: : _,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | : : : : : :| ; ; ; |……………
……………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ŻŻ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,,_ : :,-‘ ; ; ; ;|……………
…………..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-~’’ , , , , ,,,-~~-, , , , _ ; ; ;ŻŻ ; ; ; ; ;|…… HEY KIDZ!
…………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ , , , , , , ,( : : : : : ) , , , ,’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|……… WHAT'Z GOIN ON IN THIS THREAD?
……….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’, , , , , , , , ,’~---~’’ , , , , , ,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,…………..
…….,-‘’ ; _, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’~-,,,,--~~’’’Ż’’’~-,,_ , ,_,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,………….
….,-‘’-~’’,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; | . . . . . . ,’; ,’’Ż ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,_ ; ‘-,………..
……….,’ ; ;,-, ; ;, ; ; ;, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ;’, . . . . .,’ ;,’ ; ; ; ;, ; ; ;,’-, ; ;,’ ‘’~--‘’’………
………,’-~’ ,-‘-~’’ ‘, ,-‘ ‘, ,,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ‘~-,,,-‘’ ; ,’ ; ; ; ; ‘, ;,-‘’ ; ‘, ,-‘,……………..
……….,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ‘’ ; ; ;’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’-,,_ ; ; ; _,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ;’-‘’ ; ; ; ‘’ ; ;’-,…………..
……..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;ŻŻ’’Ż ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,……….
……,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,…….
…..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|..’-,_ ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ‘,…..
….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’’,-~’ ; ; ; ; ; ,’…..
…,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’~-,,,,,--~~’’’’’’~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…..,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘……
…| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘……..
…’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’….’, ; ; ; ; _,,-‘’…………
….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’~~’’Ż………………
…..’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;_,,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘…………………………….
………’’~-,,_ ; ; ; ; _,,,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘……………………………..
………..| ; ; ;ŻŻ’’’’Ż ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-‘……………………………….
………..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘…………………………………
…………| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|…………………………………..
…………’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ~-,,___ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,………………………………….
………….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘….’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,…………………………………
………..,’ ‘- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’……….’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,………………………………..
……….,’ ; ;’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-‘…………….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,……………………………….
………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’…………………’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |……………………………….
……..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-‘………………………’’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |………………………………
……..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…………………………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’……………………………….
……..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’………………………..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’’………………………………..
……..| ; ; ; ; ; ;,’……………………….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘………………………………….
……..’,_ , ; , ;,’……………………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘……………………………………
………’,,’,Ż,’,’’|……………………….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘--,,………………………………….
………….Ż…’’………………………..’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~,,…………………………….
……………………………………………’’-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~-,,……………………….
………………………………………………..’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ,,_ ; ;’-,’’-,……………………..
…………………………………………………..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,__,\\--\\...........................
……………………………………………………’-, ; ; ;,,-~’’’ \\ , ,|, |……………………
………………………………………………………’’~-‘’_ , , ,,’,_/--‘……………………
…………………………………………………………….’’~-~’……....................…….
Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Blunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post

I got a chance to debate whether the victory in the War on Terror was attainable (I said no), whether pro-anorexia websites should be shut down (no), whether the US should forcefully shut down Iran's nuclear program (no), whether the US should boycott the Olympics to protest Chinese human rights abuse (no), whether the US should halt its use of extraordinary rendition (yes), whether marijuana, in all forms, should be legalized (yes), whether the assasination of a dictator may be justified (yes if by own people, no if by foreign nation), and whether the legal institution of marriage be entirely replaced by a supersized version of civil unions (yes).
you know whats funny? I totally agree with you on all those issues.

what happened??