Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 AM
In Search of Truth

Edguy -- New York, NY -- September 16th, 2007

Last night was my third time seeing Edguy, all 3 times have been at BB King's in New York City and have spanned over the course of 3 years and 2 days exactly.
My friend and I were so excited for this show. The anticipation was rediculous. Not only did we actually pay the extra money for the BB Kings VIP tickets, we got into the city just after noon and waited over 5 hours outside before doors. The payoff however was well worth it. Once in the city we met up with our friend Mike, and also some other people, including a very cool kid named Phillipe. The 4 of us spent a good deal of time talking, actually making the time pass pretty easily. Edguy's tour bus was parked right in front of the venue until about 2 hours before doors. Early in the day my friend and I ran into Dirk and Jens in McDonald's, but we didn't stay long, not wanting to disturb them. Later on, the band all came off their tour bus, and said they were going to take some pictures. (no doubt footage and pictures for next album or DVD). They returned as promised afterwards and signed all of our booklets and took pictures with us all. I think they felt obligated because the couple of us had been there so rediculously long. They're such cool guys, I believe it was Dirk who said to us: "This is what makes us want to keep coming here". So, later on more friends of ours arrived and doors opened fairly timely at 6:15.
The show itself started just about on time at about 7 PM, Echoes of Eternity being the first band. I'm not a big fan, but I didn't mind seeing them live for a second time, which may or may not be because their singer is rediculously hot. But that's neither here nor there. Not bad, not a fan.
Second band was Light this City. Oh dear. They may have now taken my coveted award for the worst signed band I've ever seen live. Words can't described how much I hated this band. After their first or second song, I let out an obnoxious "BOOO!" followed by some other derogatory comment I can't remember. Apparently their drummer was quite angry, even attempting to spit on me from behind his kit. Despite what he may think, spitting at me won't make them suck any less.
Third band was the now infamous Into Eternity. I've now seen them 4 times, and I don't even like them. They just have a habbit of opening for bands I like. I have to admit, despite not wanting to hear them, they really were not as bad as the previous times I had seen them. Some of the songs actually seemed to have redeemable qualities to them. However, I assumed they would be playing a 30 minute set as the other two openers, but their set was easily 45 minutes, much to my disliking.
Sorry to leave you hanging, but I've got to go for now, so I'll be back later in the day to finish this review and discuss Edguy's performance and set list.

Last edited by Maiden33; 09-17-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Another Day in Quicksand

Yeah man the show was amazing,. did u catch a guitar pick. I got one of the last ones Jens threw.. what an amazing show.. are you going to sonata and firewind in 2 weeks?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepphalen View Post
Yeah man the show was amazing,. did u catch a guitar pick. I got one of the last ones Jens threw.. what an amazing show.. are you going to sonata and firewind in 2 weeks?
Yeah, my friend and I both got one, his was during the middle of the show and mine was towards the end, around Avantasia I think. I got a drum stick from Felix the last time I saw them. We are going to Sonata and Firewind, but at The Troc down in Philly, as it's easier for us than NYC. I'm really only still going to see Firewind, as I really don't care for the latest Sonata album. But that's another discussion entirely. What shirt were you wearing? (helps me to identify if I may have seen you or not).

Stand by for the second half of my review.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Yup, I went to school with the drummer from Light This City
Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Yeah, my friend and I both got one, his was during the middle of the show and mine was towards the end, around Avantasia I think. I got a drum stick from Felix the last time I saw them. We are going to Sonata and Firewind, but at The Troc down in Philly, as it's easier for us than NYC. I'm really only still going to see Firewind, as I really don't care for the latest Sonata album. But that's another discussion entirely. What shirt were you wearing? (helps me to identify if I may have seen you or not).

Stand by for the second half of my review.
I'll be at the Sonata show in Philly. I'm gettin in FO FREE!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:16 PM
In Search of Truth

Alright, so here's my review of the rest of the show, the important part.

I don't remember exactly when Edguy came on, but I want to say somewhere around quarter of 10. I could be wrong.
So, as soon as the "Welcome to the Freak Show" intro started, my friend and I both had the same thought: Bad idea. We knew what was coming next and we knew the anticipation of the intro was far too great for it. Despite my liking of the song, Catch of the Century is shit opener. There really wasnt any great Rocket Ride material to open with, but this was just silly. Then again, they are too.
My first thought once they got going was that the sound was terrible. I was appalled at first. It did improve a little bit but for a lot of the show the only thing you could hear well was the drums and Jens' guitar, which seemed to be experience technical difficulties the majority of the show, both from tech problems and user error. I have to admit I was a bit upset at how sloppy everyone seemed to be save for the rhythm section. Jens particularly let me down, fudging up most of his leads and solos, even playing some wrong chords. I was concerned at times.
Tobi was in full joking form as usual, cracking many hilarious jokes throughout the evening, primarilly busting on Felix. They're the only band that seriously make you laugh as well as kick ass. The joking almost made up for all the wrongs of the set.
I saw the roadie put the set out at the beginning of their set and I saw that the main body of it was being closed with Fallen Angels, so I was thrilled... but then the moment came, and Tobi starts an introduction for the next song and I knew immediately it wasn't it. Turned out it was Fucking with Fire, the lamest substitution they could've made. Sure it's fun, but I'll take balls-out power/speed metal over joke rock'n'metal.
Much to our liking, they did add an additional song to the encore, which is good cause the setlist otherwise was just too short. Unfortunately it was not one of my top picks for something that couldve been added. Regardless, any addition is a good addition.
My friend and I both got a pick from Jens, our friend got a set list, another friend got a drum stick, and another friend got thrown out for protecting his girlfriend from an obnoxious crowdsurfer, and his girlfriend wound up going backstage after the show. Good stuff.

Edguy set list:
1.Catch of the Century
2.Sacrifice
3.Babylon
4.Lavatory Love Machine
5.Tears of a Mandrake
6.Vain Glory Opera
7.Drum Solo
8.Superheroes
9.Save Me
10.Fucking With Fire
Encore:
11.Mysteria
12.Avantasia
13.King of Fools
Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Another Day in Quicksand

I was wearing an Iced Earth shirt... Are you into porcupine tree at all?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Edguy set list:
1.Catch of the Century
2.Sacrifice
3.Babylon
4.Lavatory Love Machine
5.Tears of a Mandrake
6.Vain Glory Opera
7.Drum Solo
8.Superheroes
9.Save Me
10.Fucking With Fire
Encore:
11.Mysteria
12.Avantasia
13.King of Fools
Way too damn short.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

At least they put in Fucking With Fire. If they keep that and Mysteria, and put Fallen Angels back in somewhere that'd be tight.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:42 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepphalen View Post
I was wearing an Iced Earth shirt... Are you into porcupine tree at all?
Nah, not really. I like some Prog and stuff but that's not really my thing. My friend and I were both wearing Hellfire Club shirts.

Tags
edguy