Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ghost -- Boulder, CO -- April 23rd, 2014
Gideon -- Toledo, OH -- April 22nd, 2014
Queensryche -- Uncasville, CT -- April 19th, 2014
Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 09-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

The Mouse Rat-Fucks Metal At Disneyland, Disney World

Source: Blabbermouth

"In a stunning last-minute move, Walt Disney Properties have pressured promoter Live Nation into canceling MACHINE HEAD's performance tomorrow night at the House of Blues venue in Anaheim (on their Disneyland property). Citing violent imagery, undesirable fans and inflammatory lyrics as the reason, the diversity-impaired corporation began pressuring the promoter on Saturday to cancel all upcoming heavy metal concerts, placing MACHINE HEAD under an internal 'review process' that took 5 days before bothering to convey their alarming decision to the band late yesterday — less than 48 hours before their Black Tyranny Tour was to kick off at House of Blues Anaheim on Friday night.

"While the enactment of this new blanket rule applies to all upcoming heavy metal shows at the House Of Blues Anaheim (with some metal bands having been banned from performing on name alone), MACHINE HEAD is the first band to actually have tickets go on sale, and remain on sale for 2 months, before intense pressure and vague threats of liability from the Corporation left the promoter with no choice but to remove the show from the venue.

"As a result, Live Nation's Paul McGuigan did the honorable thing and incredibly, on one days notice, managed to salvage the tour's opening night by moving the first date of The Black Tyranny tour (featuring MACHINE HEAD, ARCH ENEMY, THROWDOWN, and SANCTITY) to The Glass House in Pomona, CA (located at 200 W. Second Street). All existing tickets will be redeemable for entry at The Glass House, and all Will Call pickups will now be available for pickup at the new venue. Any fans unable to make the 70-mile trip to The Glass House as a result of this ridiculous turn of events will be able to have their money refunded in full. Strangely, all other Black Tyranny dates at House Of Blues venues on Disney property will remain unaffected.

"On behalf of all four bands on the bill, MACHINE HEAD wish to extend their gratitude to promoter Paul McGuigan and Live Nation for finding an alternate venue for tomorrow night's show on such short notice."

Second only to my metal habit is my Disney habit. (Fuck you. I don't give a shit what you think about that.) There is something very Goofy about this. I follow the HoB in Orlando at Disneyworld (not really Orlando but whatever.. only Spiral Slave knows what I'm talking about) and two tours in October, Cannibal Corpse and Sonata Arctica's, got the same damn treatment, albeit with a lot more notice. It's more than just Disneyland, folks.

In the past, I've seen bands like Cradle Of Filth and Celtic Frost (w/Sunn-o, Goathwhore) at the Disneyland HoB.

For the completely Disney ignoramus, you don't find heavy metal inside the parks. Both the Anaheim properties and Florida resort have open shopping districts containing a House Of Blues. You park in Disney lots for concerts, dining, etc.

Disneyland also has an unofficial goth day in August... I can't what to see the reaction of that demographic to this news.

Last edited by hot_turkey_ed; 09-06-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
There is something very Goofy about this.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:45 PM

Source: Synthesis Blog

Lots of stories hitting Google News on this now...
Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

That's BS. Has anyone even been to Downtown Disney? That's not exactly what you'd call a kids place.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Dharma Wants You

Yeah this is bullshit. Obituary couldn't get booked at the HoB in Anaheim because of this, and now that King Diamond/Leave's Eyes/Kreator/Cellador tour got moved to some shitty ass club that doesnt even hold half of the HoB. Same with Amon Amarth. This is really, really ridiculous.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
That's BS. Has anyone even been to Downtown Disney? That's not exactly what you'd call a kids place.
Many times in Anaheim, a couple of times in Florida. I wouldn't describe either as a place for kids but it is definitely a family scene. Walt Disney World's Pleasure Island is a definite exception but even then you aren't really talking about the stereotypes associated with the extreme metal scene.

In Anaheim, remember Downtown Disney connects the theme parks to the Disneyland Hotel. You get a lot of kid-family-pedestrian traffic. The House of Blues sits about halfway between the hotel and the entrance plaza serving Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure.

In Florida, the House of Blues is pretty close to DisneyQuest, a fun zone that specifically targets kids.

I can certainly understand why Disney would not want metal near the parks but I'd sure like them apply the bar across the board against other music if they're going to take a Disney-approach to programming the HoB. It would also be nice to see them extend those standards elsewhere in the Mouse's media empire. Disney produces A LOT of filth. Walt would NOT approve.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 PM

I submitted the story to the The Disney Blog, a great independent source for coverage of the Mouse, and they published the story!