Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Sleep -- Pioneertown, CA -- August 30th, 2014

Old 07-30-2007, 09:25 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I am not saying I think one is better than the other. I am saying, more people are going to read the news online or buy a newspaper if a football coach is given preference over a director. You are too idealist to think they wouldnt.

On that note, I think you are being close-minded. This issue doesnt come down to football versus films. It comes down to people wanting more attention given to what they like. YOU dont like football. However, YOU would fuck ANY form of art if it wore a skirt. You think that what YOU like takes preference over anything anyone else likes. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT WITH HARRY POTTER. I dont like Harry Potter, I was pissed that the media wouldnt shut up about it. But I was told I was wrong. Why? Because the majority of people in the discussion didnt agree with me. NOW, because the majority of the people in the discussion, (well, 2 out of 3) are more inclined to enjoy art/film than football, THEY are correct in bitching about media coverage? The media covers Harry Potter over the Iraq War, because Harry Potter will get them more viewers/readers.

The media is always going to cover what sells the most. Quit bitching about it. I havent seen any Bergman films, but I am a 49ers fan. Am I someone uncivilized for that? No. Its pretty easy to say Bergman is more important than Walsh, when you have already established the biased stance of support FOR Bergman, against Walsh. Both are in completely different fields of society, work, and entertainment. Apples and Oranges. Both contributed greatly to their respective fields. Neither is better.
It's a tragedy that Walsh died.

But this is a thread about Bergman.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 PM

But I mean seriously. How can you not be outraged that a thousand times more money and effort is put into athletics than drama/journalism/music/etc. with taxpayers' dollars? What the fuck has a football player ever done for a small town?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

ever notice what kind of people make fun of the harry potter fans?

and 20 years later...

Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM

And I mean, I don't hate football. I played it for five years and still watch the Super Bowl every year. I just think it has zero real significance and it's kind of depressing that it's been elevated to something more than just entertainment. These guys are making more money in a year than people of most any other profession make in a lifetime.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Regretting my username

I am not a huge football fan either. I dont watch football. I make fun of my little brother for being obsessed with it. I only watch the Super Bowl every other year. But I still find it peculiar how people are inclined to put their favorite things on a pedestal, and shit all over the things other people like.

I do think it sucks that our town pays more attention to football than other things. But you are only demanding more attention to the arts, because that is what you enjoy. If you werent into the arts OR football, you wouldnt care either way.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
He is one of the best football coaches in history. Which do you think sells more, a movie director or a football coach?

The loss of both is equally bad.
Internationally, the director without any problems at all.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 07-31-2007, 02:03 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Internationally, the director without any problems at all.
But there is a difference between football and film. They reach completely different audiences. In my opinion, more people in America probably admire Bill Walsh for what he did for football, than have even HEARD of Ingmar Bergman. Its the sad truth.

I know this thread is about Bergman, but to spit in the face of a dead football coach (or any man for that matter) because he ISNT Bergman is sad. If I died today, no one would give a shit. I might get a paragraph in the local paper, but thats about it. To be bitching that one man's death was higher in the news than anothers makes me sick. A life is a life. You cant prove that this mans films had a bigger impact than a coach. Both gave something different to those that they affected, and neither deserves the degradation of being 'ranked' in value. This "my interests are superior to your" has got to stop. The same people that throw me the "greatness is subjective" line are the same ones that must declare their interests/tastes as the best/better than other people's.

Goddamn it.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:25 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
What a shame. The good directors die and we're left with hacks like Micahel Bay and the Wayans Brothers. I don't even wanna think where the film industry will be in 20 years.
Well, as much as it is a sad loss, as far as I know he hadn't directed anything for years and years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
That pisses me off. The death of one of the truly innovative artists in history was buried at the bottom of a list of headlines, but the death of a football coach was the first one, accompanied with a picture.
Use news.bbc.co.uk then. He was on the front page and, surprise, nothing about Bill Walsh.

And this thread has gotten stupid. All of you who haven't, go out and see a Bergman film. Get Netflix or something if you have to.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
All of you who haven't, go out and see a Bergman film. Get Netflix or something if you have to.

And again. Yeah, Walsh died, that's sad and all. But this is a thread about Ingmar Bergman that became yet another pissy fit-throwing thread. Don't bother bringing something up that's just gonna end up like that.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

If it was Spielberg or Lucas, of course, news of the director's death would have trumped news of Bill Walsh's death even in the American media. It's not about film vs. football, it's just that the average American doesn't know shit about film history.