Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

View Poll Results: Do you like it when bands play entire albums live?
Yes, it's a cool way to change up setlists and give the fans a new experience 12 92.31%
No, I like to hear the usual stuff that I would expect them to play 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Bands playing entire albums live: Yay or Nay?

I've noticed that in the last couple of years a lot more bands are getting into the habit of playing entire albums as part of their setlist. I know a lot of people were disappointed when Maiden did all of AMOLAD on their last tour, and I can see how this sort of thing could be a bummer for people who are seeing a band for the first time. I've only seen a band do this once (Alkaline Trio playing all of Goddamnit), but I think it's a cool idea and I would like to see more bands do it. I'm already drooling at the prospect of seeing Tegan and Sara play all of their new album in November

So, what are your thoughts? Is it a cool way to change up the experience for the fans, or is it just a boring new album gimmick?
Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 PM
We're dying on the inside

This is sort of a multi-faceted question:

Bands playing full albums, yay; bands playing full new albums, sometimes nay.

When a band comes out and plays an unquestionable classic live in its entirety (Anthrax with Among the Living, Slayer with Reign in Blood, Metallica with Master of Puppets, Queensryche with Mindcrime, etc.), it's really fucking awesome, albeit a bit gimmicky.

When bands play their entire newest album, it's a gamble. AMOLAD in its entirety left room for, what, six other songs? That was a stupid move. Mindcrime II was played in full to complete the story from the Broadway aspect, so that's okay. And Porcupine Tree playing the full Fear of a Blank Planet album this year, well, fans (like me) are hailing it as their best, so they have every right to come out and play it all every night (especially since they encore with a full goddamn setlist, unlike Maiden).

So it's hit or miss really.

EDIT: Voted yes though. Most bands who do it do it right.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
(especially since they encore with a full goddamn setlist, unlike Maiden).
Yeah, this is a big part of the question. When I saw Alkaline Trio, they played the whole album and then did a whole other full set after that. I would have enjoyed Maiden doing all of AMOLAD, because I've seen them before and heard all the "standards," so it would be nice to see them doing something different, especially since they are so notorious for rigid, unchanging setlists.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Yeah, this is a big part of the question. When I saw Alkaline Trio, they played the whole album and then did a whole other full set after that. I would have enjoyed Maiden doing all of AMOLAD, because I've seen them before and heard all the "standards," so it would be nice to see them doing something different, especially since they are so notorious for rigid, unchanging setlists.
But if Maiden did AMOLAD, then fifteen songs and said fuck you to Bullet for My Valentine, no one would be complaining.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
But if Maiden did AMOLAD, then fifteen songs and said fuck you to Bullet for My Valentine, no one would be complaining.
I hear ya, but Maiden's setlists are a whooooooole other can of worms
Old 07-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Well, over "Usual stuff I expect them to play" of course I'd choose the entire album. Enh, I guess if its a classic maybe. But if its a brand new album: If its a concept album that tells a story, then why the hell not? But in a case like AMOLAD, then that's just plain arrogance. I mean yea veteran bands have the right to not just play two new songs and stick to the hits. And Maiden did that, they played six new songs for the BNW and DOD. I think they should have just stuck to that with AMOLAD.

What's really insulting is the fact that they only did the "new album in its entirety" thing just for N. America. Yes I understand that the places they've never been to before deserve to hear "Run To The Hills" and what not for the first time, but then they go and pull that "A Matter Of Beast and Death" bullshit when it was time to go to Europe. What the fuck was that? Its almost as if Bruce wants to punish the Americans for being "too corporate" or whatever his problem was.

Wow, that was unexpected.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Yay in almost every sense except one: playing a new album in full immediately after it's come out.

A few months later, yes. Straight away, no. No one knows it and it's just a waste of time.

In every other instance, absolutely yes.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 07-29-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
What's really insulting is the fact that they only did the "new album in its entirety" thing just for N. America.
That's not true at all. They played it everywhere they were playing headlining shows on the proper AMOLAD tour in 2006.

The reason they didn't play it on European summer 2007 shows was because they were playing festivals. Most of the crowds weren't Maiden fans and on several occasions they didn't even have a full two-hour set. Plus, it's an entirely different tour, so it's a different setlist.

On the proper AMOLAD tour, which happened at the end of 2006, they played the full album. Look at the setlists for all of the UK, Germany, Holland, Sweden etc dates from November/December 2006. It was the same as the September/October US leg.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 07-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
EDIT: Voted yes though. Most bands who do it do it right.

Yes they do. I saw Jon Oliva's Pain play the entire Savatage Streets album as a one off this year. Amazing.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 07-29-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Yes they do. I saw Jon Oliva's Pain play the entire Savatage Streets album as a one off this year. Amazing.
Such a fantastic album. Without Criss though