Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Gideon -- Toledo, OH -- April 22nd, 2014
Queensryche -- Uncasville, CT -- April 19th, 2014
Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014
Ghost -- Lawrence, KS -- April 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 07-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

ALEX LIFESON: "What's With All These Young Bands Who Play For An Hour And 10 Minutes"

Source: Brave Words

The fleet-handed Rush guitarist, known for exercises in carpal-tunnel-syndrome fretwork, is currently ensconced on a tour that sees his band playing for more than three hours a show, which roughly translates into about 1,500 snaking riffs, twice as many sweaty drum fills and lots of sore limbs on a nightly basis.

"Yeah, what's up with that?" Lifeson chuckles at his band's marathon sets. "What's with all these young bands who play for an hour and 10 minutes, an hour and 20 minutes -- I don't think anybody plays for more than about an hour and 40 minutes. And they're all young and should be playing for three hours, not like us old farts."

Old 07-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

More like what's with all these old bands who only play for an hour and ten minutes.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Who does Rush usually have as opening acts?
Old 07-29-2007, 02:18 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Who does Rush usually have as opening acts?
They haven't had an opener since the Counterparts tour, but they toured with Marillion and Primus several times in the 80s and 90s.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
They haven't had an opener since the Counterparts tour, but they toured with Marillion and Primus several times in the 80s and 90s.
Exactly. It's easy to play for 3 hours when you're the only fucking band, Alex Most bands I've seen have had a minimum of 2 opening acts.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:35 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Exactly. It's easy to play for 3 hours when you're the only fucking band, Alex Most bands I've seen have had a minimum of 2 opening acts.
In a way I agree with both you and Lifeson on this. You're right, bands have restricted set times when they play with openers. However, the bands should try to do a few "Evening With" type tours every now and then, because nine times out of ten, the openers aren't that great and just delay you from seeing the band you came to see.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 PM

Well sure, I would love to see my favorite bands play for two hours plus, but it all depends on the band and their energy level, too. I mean, it's one thing for Rush to kind of stand there and play 7-minute songs, but I think I'd drop dead of exhuastion after a 2 1/2 hour Against Me! show or something like that.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

As far as I'm concerned, if Ronnie James Dio can put in 2+ hours a night, anyone can.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 07-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
um... duh! They have no support BECAUSE they play for that long. Not the other way around!

The band who have 2 or more opening acts do so because they don't play long enough themselves and need someone else to fill the time.

Three hour shows aren't for everyone, bands and fans alike, I appreciate that. But less than two hours for a headliner is poor. I don't care who you are. The only time I feel less than two-hours is acceptable is on one of those co-headlining tours where each band gets 70 or 80 minutes. That's fine.

Otherwise, if you're the headliner of a tour, you play two hours and select support accordingly. Maiden do it night after night, and no one puts more energy into a show than them.

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 07-30-2007, 12:26 AM
N00B

You have to consider back catalogue too, some new bands could play for 2 hours, but that means playing every song off of there 2 albums!!!

I've seen a lot of "new bands" and sometimes i like it short and sweet.
Also with these "new bands" record labels put them with 2/3 support acts to promote them and of course make more money.

I think most older bands like Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Dio, Helloween do play around 2/2 and a half hours with a support which is acceptable. I think Slayer could do with playing a bit longer, i've seen them three times headlinging and that been 1 hour to 1 hour and a half.

I think it would be better to see bands like them with a 3 hour set and no support, but then they wont support any new bands to play. But i guess its better for a fan to spend 40 on a ticket to solely see the one band he/she likes, rather than some shitty support, or it could be on the other side where you see two awesome bands.