Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Gideon -- Toledo, OH -- April 22nd, 2014
Queensryche -- Uncasville, CT -- April 19th, 2014
Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014
Ghost -- Lawrence, KS -- April 22nd, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 07-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
To each his own I suppose.


Even if you do like the books, you have to admit lining up at midnight is pretty nerdy. I think there is a difference between.."Hey these books are pretty good..I cant wait for the next one" and "OMFG, THE NEW HARRY POTTER IS COMING OUT!! WHERES MY BROOMSTICK!"

To some extent, I agree that they are great books because they allow kids to escape their own world and live in a fantasy world, but to say that is a perfectly healthy obsession is a little far off. Some kids MAY be able to seperate fantasy from reality, but dont you see how corrosive it could be to others?

I will quite pissing on Harry Potter, but I still find it peculiar since EVERYONE likes the book, no one is allowed to dislike it. If I like a band that no one else likes, I catch shit for it. If there is something else in the media (Eragon, Da Vinci Code) that a smaller percentage of the population enjoys, everyone else is bitching and complaining. Its just funny how just because the collective public opinion of this book is positive, any dissenters are shit on. Maybe I will give these books another try, maybe not.

I liked the few movies I have seen from this series, maybe that will motivate me to read the books. But I hope people here can step back in a few years and laugh at themselves over this fanatacism.

To each his own. I prefer Dragonlance myself.



Touche Mike, but there is a difference between "Hey I like this book/movie/band, how about you?" and "HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT US, WE ALL LOVE THIS BOOK/MOVIE/BAND!!!!!!! YAY!!!"

What if everyone was dancing around praising the new Transformers movie, as the best movie ever made..better than the cartoon series in every aspect. I bet you would be pissed, right? In the end, its a matter of personal preference. If everyone saw it that way, I wouldnt be posting in this thread. But there is a sense that because SO many people like the book, and SO many people are willing to stand outside at midnight in costume, and SO many media outlets are focusing on it instead of the war, the economy, [insert anything more imporant to our lives than a kids book], that EVERYONE, even non fans, have to hear about it, read about it, look into it. It is very hard to express how it feels to be someone that doesnt like something, when EVERYONE else does. I am not trying to sound selfish or big-headed, or a rebel...its just a really weird situation. The collective publics opinion versus the individuals personal preference.


Well Transformers was blasphemy, the Potter fans actually got good movies made of their franchise. Besides, "midnight madness" is fun, like when the 360 came out, how many times do you get to do something like that? And nowhere is it written that the media must focus on the war all the time, especially sense theres not much to report about it and noone really wants to hear about it anymore.

What I admire about the books is not the book itself, but how the author was able to create such a huge cult following, and if you can pull that off you deserve every bit of your fame.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-22-2007, 04:19 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 17,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelripper View Post
Rammed down your throat? This is not gay porn, this is Harry Potter. Harry Potter = Cultural Phenomenon. Harry Potter = The new Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings. The fact that the matter is, the books have become one of the highest selling objects of all time - and this is not due to the fact that the books suck. Children nowadays have precious little to read with the boom of the internet. The average teenager in the USA would spend more time reading internet blogs and news articles than reading a book - me included. But the fact is, Harry Potter has encouraged us to read, because it is that damn good. And no matter how childish you think the writing is, ultimately it succeeds in creating a new world, where our imaginations can run free and wild, a world in which we feel empathy towards every character, and a world in which we wish to be a part of, if only for just one day. Childish my ass - these books contain incredibly deep themes, and more than that, they help children around the world enjoy a bit of literature. Can William Shakespeare do that?


Again, this not gay porn. You are not on the receiving end of any wang. This is by far and away the most selfish comment to make - you dislike Harry Potter so you'll go out of your way to make us miserable for your taste in books? A wee bit CHILDISH don't you think?


Again, what does it matter which genre they're in? Kids, fantasy, whatever genre you wish to put it in - people of all ages can enjoy it. I enjoyed it when I was a titchy ten year old, I enjoyed it when I was a hormonal fifteen year old, and now on the brink of adulthood, I just happen to enjoy each book more and more. You fail to realize that just because Harry Potter was a child once, doesn't mean that the writing quality is for itty bitty kids. zgodt is older than Dumbledore himself and he happens to enjoy the books.


Sometimes ridiculous obsession is bad for you. But this is the complete opposite; Harry Potter obsession is just about the healthiest obsession you can find - we all LOVE the books, and we LOVE being transported to a land where the magical can occur, where reality becomes mixed with our wildest dreams. Anyone see footage of all the crazy idiots queued outside Metal Concerts dressed as lumps of hideous shit? And I thought Harry Potter geeks like me were bad!
Wow. What an absolutely magnifcent display of totally NOT READING A WORD I SAID. Well done. Good to see the books have furthered your literacy.

I'm not ridiculing them because they're kids books. It's OK to be a kids book. In fact, I didn't ridicule them at all. The point I made, rather clearly, is that the fact that are kids books means that the language has to, by definition, be too simple for them to be the greatest books ever written, as you claimed. It just cannot be. They can be the greatest kids books ever written, but they cannot be the greatest of all books. Do you understand now?

Let's see... You say I'm trying to make you miserable because you like Potter? I said, more than once, I could care less if people like Potter. I already said people are entitled to enjoy the books. The reason I'm glad the whole thing is over is because I'm tired of hearing about it. Your comment is completely the wrong way around. Just because you and all the others LIKE Potter, why does that mean I have to keep hearing about it at every turn? As I said, it will be 15 years or so by the time the final movie comes out. 15 years of hearing about the same damn thing.

Again, as I said (I don't like repeating myself, I wish you'd understood the first time around), imagine something you don't like, movie, book, band, whatever, and try to tell me that if it were on every website, TV station and radio show, and everyone you knew were always talking about it, for 15 years you wouldn't be sick of it as well. I bet you can't do it without lying through your teeth.

You could say "just ignore it". Which is an admirable suggestion. But since everyone reads the damn things, and sees the movies, and the newspapers are full of it etc, there is no ignoring it. When a new book or movie comes out not a day goes by where I can go into work and not hear someone talking about Potter.

Lastly, if I were you, I'd be desperately worried that you pulled references to gay porn out of very average phrases on several occasions. Very worried indeed.

Quote:
Anyone see footage of all the crazy idiots queued outside Metal Concerts dressed as lumps of hideous shit?
Yep, and they look like retards as well. Ever see a Hammerfall fan? Hilarious!
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Last edited by ravenheart; 07-22-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-22-2007, 04:28 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 17,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
What makes you think we don't? I'm pretty sick of hearing about a whole boatload of shallow media culture bullshit that's been going on for more than 15 years and shows no signs of stopping. Meanwhile, there's this sliver of cultural activity which encourages both imagination and literacy among a surprisingly large and fervent segment of the population. If you aren't hooked yourself, fine.
Yes, but it's not the SAME shallow media culture bullshit. It's different stuff each time and each is gone again in 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
But why begrudge the others?
Erm, I'm not. Read it again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart
Enjoyable they may very well be, and of course all the fans are entitled to enjoy them
I could care less that a ton of people like a series of books I don't. I don't read Andy McNab books either, but loads of people do.

The point is, I don't want everyone elses obsession thrown at me for 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
Yea, fuck anyone whos a fanatic, i mean they should just fucking go to hell for liking something and wanting to express it especially all those douchebags who walk around in biker vests with band patches all over the place. they should just get a fucking life! and especially when theyre on tv, cause ill be DAMNED if anyone puts something on tv that annoys me!
Way to miss the point. Good job.

It's funny that when someone says something about a popular subject that goes against the majority opinion, even when it openly acknowledges their right to like what they like and so on and so forth, it's the majority who come along and say "why can't you accept that people like something you don't". That's exactly what I am doing, and so far it's been a string of Potter fans who have failed to accept that the negative opinion of the whole thing is equally as valid or to understand that someone who isn't a Potter fan (God forbid) might be tired of hearing about it.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Last edited by ravenheart; 07-22-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-22-2007, 04:52 PM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Even if you do like the books, you have to admit lining up at midnight is pretty nerdy. I think there is a difference between.."Hey these books are pretty good..I cant wait for the next one" and "OMFG, THE NEW HARRY POTTER IS COMING OUT!! WHERES MY BROOMSTICK!"
I went to the local independent bookstore at midnight to get my pre-reserved copy. There was a jazz band playing, and I got to have some cookies and a glass of wine and browse poetry books while I waited. I guess that might be a little nerdy -- but then, any of us who spend time posting on an internet bulletin board at a site called metalsetlists.com should think twice before slinging "nerd" accusations at anybody else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
To some extent, I agree that they are great books because they allow kids to escape their own world and live in a fantasy world, but to say that is a perfectly healthy obsession is a little far off. Some kids MAY be able to seperate fantasy from reality, but dont you see how corrosive it could be to others?
Utter bilge. Do you even really believe that shit? You sound like the PMRC circa 1985.

Besides, if they were pure escapist fantasy the books would suck. But that's not what they are. Really good fantasy is not a way to get away from real life, it's a way of looking at real life through a different lens. Formulaic escapist fantasy lit is easy enough to find. Thank god that's not what J.K. Rowling gives us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I will quite pissing on Harry Potter, but I still find it peculiar since EVERYONE likes the book, no one is allowed to dislike it. If I like a band that no one else likes, I catch shit for it. If there is something else in the media (Eragon, Da Vinci Code) that a smaller percentage of the population enjoys, everyone else is bitching and complaining. Its just funny how just because the collective public opinion of this book is positive, any dissenters are shit on. Maybe I will give these books another try, maybe not.
I don't see dissenters getting shit on. It seems to me that making fun of Harry Potter is almost as popular as reading Harry Potter. And that's fine. Cynics and skeptics abound no matter what phenomena you're dealing with. Who ever said everyone likes that book? And who ever said you aren't allowed to dislike it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
there is a difference between "Hey I like this book/movie/band, how about you?" and "HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT US, WE ALL LOVE THIS BOOK/MOVIE/BAND!!!!!!! YAY!!!"
I haven't seen roving bands of costumed HP fanatics shouting at muggles in the streets or anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
What if everyone was dancing around praising the new Transformers movie, as the best movie ever made..better than the cartoon series in every aspect. I bet you would be pissed, right? In the end, its a matter of personal preference. If everyone saw it that way, I wouldnt be posting in this thread. But there is a sense that because SO many people like the book, and SO many people are willing to stand outside at midnight in costume, and SO many media outlets are focusing on it instead of the war, the economy, [insert anything more imporant to our lives than a kids book], that EVERYONE, even non fans, have to hear about it, read about it, look into it. It is very hard to express how it feels to be someone that doesnt like something, when EVERYONE else does. I am not trying to sound selfish or big-headed, or a rebel...its just a really weird situation. The collective publics opinion versus the individuals personal preference.
For one thing, the new Transformers movie would have to be a hell of a lot better than it is for anything like that to happen. It's not some fluke that Harry Potter is so popular. It's a finely crafted story that's widely accessible and resonates with people. That's pretty rare. Meanwhile, Transformers is formulaic nostalgic action fluff.

And come on. Media outlets focusing on HP instead of the war and the economy? Please. For a couple of days they made a little room to talk about Harry Potter between reports on the war and the economy, etc. Which is all to the good. It's significant. It's a literary phenomenon. And it's important for "the media" to delve sometimes into things that engage people's imagination. Pretending that imaginary things are not important does nothing but diminish people and their world.
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-22-2007, 05:03 PM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Yes, but it's not the SAME shallow media culture bullshit. It's different stuff each time and each is gone again in 15 minutes.
Is it? So is NFL football's 15 minutes almost up? How about Bud Light's 15 minutes? And when will Rush Limbaugh's 15 minutes expire, or Ann Coulter's, or Quentin Tarantino's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
The point is, I don't want everyone elses obsession thrown at me for 15 years.
Sure, because after all what have the past ten years been except one big universal conversation about Harry Potter all the time?

Dude, I think you can probably survive seeing it in scattered news reports and magazine covers for a couple of weeks here and there. Especially when the alternative is the latest update about Paris Hilton.
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,355

Last edited by Div; 07-22-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-22-2007, 07:22 PM
overkiller overkiller is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,702
If you don't like Harry Potter, then don't read the books, hello? Don't pretend like the cultural sensation is doing any sort of real harm to your stupid life. You just want something popular to whine about.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-22-2007, 07:24 PM
overkiller overkiller is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
What makes you think we don't? I'm pretty sick of hearing about a whole boatload of shallow media culture bullshit that's been going on for more than 15 years and shows no signs of stopping. Meanwhile, there's this sliver of cultural activity which encourages both imagination and literacy among a surprisingly large and fervent segment of the population. If you aren't hooked yourself, fine. But why begrudge the others?
And, I totally agree with this.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-22-2007, 07:33 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,720
Overkiller speaketh the truth.

And I must add (not to change the subject) that I find it mildly ironic that two people in this thread who love Harry potter also think Dio is cheesy.
__________________
I listened to three Babymetal tracks...sounds like Chun Li getting butt-fucked by Andrew W.K. That's not something I ever wanted to hear.
-El Gordo
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-22-2007, 08:13 PM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
Overkiller speaketh the truth.

And I must add (not to change the subject) that I find it mildly ironic that two people in this thread who love Harry potter also think Dio is cheesy.
Dio hasn't got a fraction of the talent J.K. Rowling has. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she can sing better than Dio too.
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008